Custom duty related queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
The freight charge is always calculated as a standard on the invoice value as 20 %. Ideally you are not paying this 21%. It is just how the customs assess the product.
Nag1010 said:
Not so. Customs duty is charged on cost + insurance + freight (cif). When the freight is not known or believed to be understated, then customs take it as 20% of invoice value.
The freight cost is explicitly known--amount charged by Shop and Ship.
No reason for customs to assume a different value!!

please clarify

shopnshipindia said:
The freight charge is always calculated as a standard on the invoice value as 20 %. Ideally you are not paying this 21%. It is just how the customs assess the product.

This is not true--why do you not provide evidence to backup your claims.

From the web site of Indian Customs dept Frequently Asked Questions

Q.16 How the CIF Value is arrived in case of Imports of goods by Air on FOB Basis

A.16 The duty is always calculated on C.I.F. In case the actual insurance/freight are not available, the Customs Act provides for levy of a notional freight and insurance.

Hi,
Please email us this query to india@shopandship.com and we shall get back to you with the answers. Thanks
Nag1010 said:

Q.16 How the CIF Value is arrived in case of Imports of goods by Air on FOB Basis

A.16 The duty is always calculated on C.I.F. In case the actual insurance/freight are not available, the Customs Act provides for levy of a notional freight and insurance.

I just purchased a Sony Wireless Stereo Headset from eBay US and it is currently being shipped to India through Shopandship. I have already paid the shipping charges through SnS website but I want to know what will be the custom duties that I will have to pay when the product arrives at my place.

Nag1010 said:
Originally Posted by Nag1010

shopnshipindia said:
Hi,
Please email us this query to india@shopandship.com and we shall get back to you with the answers. Thanks

This issue concerns everyone--you should post the answer here to benefit everyone.

I mailed SnS regarding this thing.

Nag1010 said:

This is the response I got from Anuradha:

I have confirmed , this is definitely a process , but for lighter shipments they do not hold back such shipments due to high volumes as it might result in delay to confirm the freight charges etc, so they take the standard as 21. 125 %. In case there is any specific shipment which might have a heavy impact on the duty, let me know . we shall adopt freight charges/ the standard charges whichever is lower. This is done as a process for all shipments, not only SnS shipments, to avoid delay in clearance.

So it means that if we want our package to be charged regular shipping costs - say for items with high duty% - we will need to inform them in advance.

HI,
the duty will be approx 660 INR and the shipping charges are 10 USd for the 1st 500 gms and 8 USd for every subsequent 500 gms+10.3 % service tax
regards

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

yup..at times. 26.8%
josejeya26 said:
Is customs charged on screen protectors or mobile phone cases? If so, what are the rates?

Got this today...

Dear SnSers

We have a very important information to share,

Onwards,

Please refrain and advise the suppliers/vendors/websites purchased from in US/UK/China to strictly not mention the term “GIFT” on the Package or invoice.

As per Sec 13 we being Authorized Courier to clear the shipments, it has been strictly be informed to Us to educate Customers that only Bonafide Gifts and Sample from a person to Person is considered duty free up till value of INR 10000 as per Courier regulations of 1998

And not purchases made in foreign countries which are imported into India.

All shipments being carrying foreign transaction it’s bound to attract duty going further which has been informed to us by Assistant .Commissioner failing to comply with regulation there will be fine and penalty as per sole discretion of Customs.

So , all the process will be the same, the only request is not to mention GIFT on any packages purchased , this will ensure smooth clearance.

The above is applicable to all transport companies in India.

So technically no Duty Free through shopandship... :(

HI,
Not so. As we sia the oprocess remains the same.. which ever shipment is allowed to be cleared duty free by the customs, we will still be doing so. its just that, please dont not mention GIFTs on the packages
HailStonE said:
Got this today...

So technically no Duty Free through shopandship... :(

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Hi,
the shipping charges are 10 US for the 1st 500 gms and 8 USd for every subsequent 500 gms+10.3% service tax. duty will be approx Rs. 437 INR
swordfish said:

shopnshipindia said:
Laptop/Computers /iPad 14.712%
Other than Movie CD/DVD
Digital Steal Image Camera
Sports Equipment
Computer Printers
mino/Hard Disk External
And other computer peripherals

How come no one noticed :D

Clue:
Digital Steal Image Camera