Custom duty related queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ NO. Aramex is a registered freight carrier, and they CANNOT carry bonafide gifts. If you want to avoid duty, your best option is to get it shipped directly from the US, it will take time but you won't be charged duty as then the GIFT criteria will hold good

Who are you and what is your relationship to Aramex?

Why was this issue not clarified by ShopnShip earlier?

They were claiming "we will try our best"!!

Shop'n'Ship should respond directly to this point and avoid using intermediaries.

This question is to ShopnShip and only to ShopnShip. Not to Agantuk or anyone else.

Is it true that "Aramex is a registered freight carrier, and they CANNOT carry bonafide gifts."

This question is to ShopnShip and only to ShopnShip. Not to Agantuk or anyone else.

Is it true that "Aramex is a registered freight carrier, and they CANNOT carry bonafide gifts."

As this is a community, he was only trying to help you out by telling you what he knows from experience.

If you don't want advice of people, then no need of posting in this thread as you can call them on their customer care.

This is how a community works and if you don't have a need for it, you can go and deal with them directly. They have their own website.

How can Agantuk have info about SHopnShip's business that ShopnShip doesn't?

There are issues that ShopnShip should and must respond to so that they have responsibility.

When one deals with ShopnShip directly, they do not always reveal the truth.

A post in a community generates pressure to respond and third-party responses take this pressure away....understood?

And, in case you have forgotten, this is ShopnShip's official forum!!!

Are you another shill for ShopnShip?

^^^
<

@ mods, the post above clearly qualifies and demonstrates the need for "dislike" button!!!

I did try writing to ShopnShip directly before shipping and they said

"I will make sure that the shipment has been marked as a gift but, cant assure to get it duty-free.

&

We will try our best to get it duty-free."

They never said anything about their status precluding from getting customs exemption on gifts. If they had, would never have shipped with them.

Guess what---I was charged a couple of thousand rupees as customs duty on bonafide gifts.

ShopnShip refused to followup with cutoms or to reimburse me.

In the process of initiating legal action.

So, I can state from experience that taking it private doesn't help!!

I for one would like to see ShopnShip respond in public in a direct way.

I still wonder why ShopnShip wants to hide the amount it charges us!!

Here is another instance of Agantuk speaking for ShopnShip or is it ShopnShip speaking thru Agantuk!!

http://www.techencla...ost__p__1627405

Background leading to the above post:

Nag1010

http://www.techencla...ost__p__1604565

When your shipping cost is explicitly available, why does customs take it as 21.125% of invoice value?

shopnship responds

This is how the cstoms assessed value is calculated, and the duty rate is not calculated on the invoice value.

Nag1010

http://www.techencla...ost__p__1618604

Not so. Customs duty is charged on cost + insurance + freight (cif). When the freight is not known or believed to be understated, then customs take it as 20% of invoice value.

The freight cost is explicitly known--amount charged by Shop and Ship.

No reason for customs to assume a different value!!

please clarify

shopnship responds

The freight charge is always calculated as a standard on the invoice value as 20 %. Ideally you are not paying this 21%. It is just how the customs assess the product.

Nag1010

This is not true--why do you not provide evidence to backup your claims.

From the web site of Indian Customs dept Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.cbec.gov.in/faq.htm)

Q.16 How the CIF Value is arrived in case of Imports of goods by Air on FOB Basis

A.16 The duty is always calculated on C.I.F. In case the actual insurance/freight are not available, the Customs Act provides for levy of a notional freight and insurance.

shipnship

Hi,

Please email us this query to india@shopandship.com and we shall get back to you with the answers. Thanks

not surprisingly wants to go offline

Nag1010

http://www.techencla...ost__p__1626571

This issue concerns everyone--you should post the answer here to benefit everyone.

agantuk steps in

I mailed SnS regarding this thing.

This is the response I got from Anuradha:

I have confirmed , this is definitely a process , but for lighter shipments they do not hold back such shipments due to high volumes as it might result in delay to confirm the freight charges etc, so they take the standard as 21. 125 %. In case there is any specific shipment which might have a heavy impact on the duty, let me know . we shall adopt freight charges/ the standard charges whichever is lower. This is done as a process for all shipments, not only SnS shipments, to avoid delay in clearance.

So it means that if we want our package to be charged regular shipping costs - say for items with high duty% - we will need to inform them in advance.

What nonsense is this!!

[font=times new roman,times,serif]SIX days and no response from ShopnShip...[/font]

Hi shop and ship is that same as aramex , it is a sevice that aramex has.

Yes. we can carry bonafied gifts. But it is left to the discretion of the customs.you will only have to give us a pre intimation with all details to claim it to be a bonafied gift.

we will then accordingly declare it to the customs. But this is not always possile as we have to leave it to the customs ultimately. and hence we cannot commit the same.

Who are you and what is your relationship to Aramex?

Why was this issue not clarified by ShopnShip earlier?

They were claiming "we will try our best"!!

Shop'n'Ship should respond directly to this point and avoid using intermediaries.

hi

yes . we can carry bonafied gits.

rgds

HI

Apologies for the delayed reply. But please let me know your issue.May be i have spoken to you. But i dont know your identity on this forum. Please let me know your issue. we are always happy to help you.

regards

"I will make sure that the shipment has been marked as a gift but, cant assure to get it duty-free.

&

They never said anything about their status precluding from getting customs exemption on gifts. If they had, would never have shipped with them.

HIGuess what---I was charged a couple of thousand rupees as customs duty on bonafide gifts.

HI

This is the process with the customs.Le tme know if you have any issues on this. We are trasparent to the highest extent. which is our policy.I am sure all of us would agree.I have always let it open to all of you to freely contact us. we always are for our customers.

rgds
I still wonder why ShopnShip wants to hide the amount it charges us!!

Here is another instance of Agantuk speaking for ShopnShip or is it ShopnShip speaking thru Agantuk!!

Background leading to the above post:

Nag1010

http://www.techencla...ost__p__1604565

When your shipping cost is explicitly available, why does customs take it as 21.125% of invoice value?

shopnship responds

This is how the cstoms assessed value is calculated, and the duty rate is not calculated on the invoice value.

Nag1010

http://www.techencla...ost__p__1618604

Not so. Customs duty is charged on cost + insurance + freight (cif). When the freight is not known or believed to be understated, then customs take it as 20% of invoice value.

The freight cost is explicitly known--amount charged by Shop and Ship.

No reason for customs to assume a different value!!

please clarify

shopnship responds

The freight charge is always calculated as a standard on the invoice value as 20 %. Ideally you are not paying this 21%. It is just how the customs assess the product.

Nag1010

This is not true--why do you not provide evidence to backup your claims.

From the web site of Indian Customs dept Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.cbec.gov.in/faq.htm)

Q.16 How the CIF Value is arrived in case of Imports of goods by Air on FOB Basis

A.16 The duty is always calculated on C.I.F. In case the actual insurance/freight are not available, the Customs Act provides for levy of a notional freight and insurance.

shipnship

Hi,

Please email us this query to india@shopandship.com and we shall get back to you with the answers. Thanks

not surprisingly wants to go offline

Nag1010

http://www.techencla...ost__p__1626571

This issue concerns everyone--you should post the answer here to benefit everyone.

agantuk steps in

I mailed SnS regarding this thing.

This is the response I got from Anuradha:

I have confirmed , this is definitely a process , but for lighter shipments they do not hold back such shipments due to high volumes as it might result in delay to confirm the freight charges etc, so they take the standard as 21. 125 %. In case there is any specific shipment which might have a heavy impact on the duty, let me know . we shall adopt freight charges/ the standard charges whichever is lower. This is done as a process for all shipments, not only SnS shipments, to avoid delay in clearance.

So it means that if we want our package to be charged regular shipping costs - say for items with high duty% - we will need to inform them in advance.

What nonsense is this!!

Apologies for the delay
[font=times new roman,times,serif]SIX days and no response from ShopnShip...[/font]

&

hiG

also,for clearing as bonafied gifts, there is a specific process that is followed. please intimate us in advance if it is a bonafied gift.

rgdsuess what---I was charged a couple of thousand rupees as customs duty on bonafide gifts.

In polite terms, the same zero-information, zero-transparency responses as before.

I raised very specific issues and you respond with vague replies. Let me try again. All you have do is respond YES or NO.

If you do not provide definite answers, I will raise this issue with the mods and ask them to decide on whether the forum members have a right to know the answers to these issues.

1. Is Aramex a registered freight carrier?

Ans: Yes / No

2. Is Aramex registered as a courier with customs?

3. Is it true that bonafide gifts must be carried by couriers to be eligible for duty exemption?

4. Does Aramex have the right to carry bonafide gifts and obtain duty exemption on gifts below Rs10,000?

5. Even customs have to follow rules and if they do not, then one has the right to appeal. If customs collect import duty on bonafide gifts, will you file an appeal on behalf of your customer? Recall that you collect Rs100 to act as our customs agent.

In polite terms, the same zero-information, zero-transparency responses as before.

I raised very specific issues and you respond with vague replies. Let me try again. All you have do is respond YES or NO.

If you do not provide definite answers, I will raise this issue with the mods and ask them to decide on whether the forum members have a right to know the answers to these issues.

1. Is Aramex a registered freight carrier?

2. Is Aramex registered as a courier with customs?

3. Is it true that bonafide gifts must be carried by couriers to be eligible for duty exemption? - pls elaborate

4. Does Aramex have the right to carry bonafide gifts and obtain duty exemption on gifts below Rs10,000?

Ans: Yes / No - subject to the discretion by customs

5. Even customs have to follow rules and if they do not, then one has the right to appeal. If customs collect import duty on bonafide gifts, will you file an appeal on behalf of your customer? Recall that you collect Rs100 to act as our customs agent.

Ans: Yes / No - we will not be able to appeal to the customs once it has been assessed by customs and yes, we can and we always support our client in this regard by appealing to customs before clearnce.

dear other members of the forum:correct us if we are wrong on the above point

Hi, my friend is going to send me my repair headphone soon from US, are custom is going to charge on it, the item is around about Rs 9000. And what will the shipping charges from US to India.

HI

ther will be a customs charge.But we will try and get it cleared duty free. Please mark us a mail to india@shopandship.com to know how this can be cleared duty free as there are some processess involved.More over , ideally to be eligible to clear diuty free the invoice value shoule be less than 8000 INR.

the shipping charges are 10 USd for the 1st 500 gms and 8 USd for every additional 500 gms+10.3% service tax

If there is a duty , it will be approx 3000 INR.

rgds

Hi, my friend is going to send me my repair headphone soon from US, are custom is going to charge on it, the item is around about Rs 9000. And what will the shipping charges from US to India.

I have used SnS twice, so far it was a good experience. Both came in duty free - one shipment was actually a large box (RC car assembly kit), accessed at 3kg​

Hi,

I havn't ordered thru ShopnShip since long.. What's the current process?

I have just ordered an item and asked seller to ship it to my SnS address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back