Dead Space 2 - Discussion Thread

Re: DeadSpace 2 Discussion Thread

First of all, apologies for the delay in posting the impressions. I had to get some rest right after I completed the demo. Now for the game itself, well, it's the same Dead Space we came to love 3 years back. At the beginning of the demo, we are greeted with a quick video re-cap of the events of the previous game. Switch to 3 years later, we find Isaac waking up in an asylum on a giant civil space station called 'The Sprawl'. We aren't given much specifics of the situation of how Isaac got there, but we are shown that Isaac seems to suffer from massive hallucinations of the Necromorphs. Cut-scene ends and we get into the game. Your objective log states that you have to meet up with someone named 'Daina' who has helped you till now and might help you get rid of the hallucinations. It's essentially the same demo we witnessed at E3. So you'll start off with a small area cover with loads of chambers, as you progress through it, you'll witness your first hallucination, which would freak you out if the volume is cranked up. Further down, you'll witness a few acid spitting Necromorphs and then some more.

For starters, you'll have 4 weapons; The Plasma Cutter, The Line Gun, Pulse Rifle & say hello to the Javelin Gun. So we have already witnessed the first 3 weapons in DS1. Javelin Gun is a new addition this time round and it is basically a nail gun which pins the enemies to the walls, didn't try it's alternate fire ability. Moving on, the gameplay remains exactly the same as before and so do the controls, nothing's changed. So if you have played the first game, this should be a piece of cake to handle. We still have the famous holographic 3D inventory HUD. Stasis is back and we have one minor addition to the gameplay, which is a tracker that helps you find your path (if you're lost). You hold down R3 and you'll find a blue line which denotes you which direction to head into. For the next part of the demo, we had a room which needed us to activate zero gravity and was small puzzle solving, which took me a good amount of time to figure out. Once I got the Zero gravity activated, the whole surrounding was worth watching with objects floating around and going in slow-mo.

The next few bits were being dragged by a giant tentacle based Necromorph boss and then finally having to confront those infant necromorphs in the Church of Unitology. The combat is the same as before, you'll have body dismemberment, close combat melee, stomp and using stasis to slow down a swarm. The health provided in the first half of the demo was very scarce and hence I got f*cked by those infant necromorphs. You'll notice the suit has changed, in terms of it's design. It looks...how do I put this aptly, slimmer. May be Isaac has lost a few pounds during these years. Anyhoo, you have your upgrade/trade station available, so you can pimp up your suit's strength. Graphics were a bit of let down for me and this is purely speaking for the Sex-Box version. I'm sure PC version would look more crisp. The texture detail was bland, poor smoke/haze effects and almost no AA, made it look a bit dull. Thankfully, it didn't suffer from any technical difficulties like tearing or frame rate drops. Frame rates were rock solid. Shadow and Lighting effects were pretty darn good. Physics were fantastic, you can literally stomp the enemies into tiny piece and toss them around while your walk towards them. Sound effects were the prime highlight. Every detail from the hissing sound of the pipes to the roar of the Necromorphs would make shudder. If you turn up the volume and stomp a Necromorph, you'll literally feel your heart crunch at the sound of that thing being stomped to pieces.

So yes, the demo was completely satisfying in every way possible and it's something to look forward to in Jan, when the full game comes out. So that's all folks. Any questions?

What a fantastic impression you have given.

I think the path finding was always there in Dead Space itself.

Great !! the graphics are expected to be that way on consoles !! :( next ones should be out now .
the lightning and physics has improvers thats a relief :D
Looks like another winner with EA, will love to play it , hope the story is as good as DS1 though.

as for the pathfinder , the same was there in DS1 , its not new

Managed to finish the first game finally! Just in time I guess.. though I still don't see a PC demo :(

Nice impressions as always Allwyn. :)

stalker said:
Managed to finish the first game finally! Just in time I guess.. though I still don't see a PC demo :(
Nope no PC demo. But nvm I don't mind waiting for the final game. :D

Hope you enjoyed the first one - lol you were the one who recommended it to me! :lol:

Ethan_Hunt said:
Really? I may have missed that part.
You did the first game without the blue pathfinder...! he he :)

Just kidding. You might have forgotten..doubt though. :) Thanks for the new mini review.

While roaming around in youtube for dead space 2 I found this video. As expected it is very scary(hope this video is not fake :p)

asingh said:
You did the first game without the blue pathfinder...! he he :)

Just kidding. You might have forgotten..doubt though. :) Thanks for the new mini review.
Honest to God, I didn't know it was even there. I scouted all the routes manually in the first game. It was easy anyway, I mean how difficult would it be to navigate through a limited space? :p

I burned the disc but when i put in it says Mixed Media how do i run the game ? Tried Injecting to USB which never worked

If you have burned the content folder properly, then the demo should be under 'Games Library'.

Seems like the earlier burn didn't have content folder correctly named , now its fine.

Ethan_Hunt said:
Honest to God, I didn't know it was even there. I scouted all the routes manually in the first game. It was easy anyway, I mean how difficult would it be to navigate through a limited space? :p
That's true. I never found a real need to use it. Once in a while I would just try it coz the blue line looked cool. :p

Here's the Excavations Trailer:

[youtube]SqYt6MuaRkc&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

This is the same footage which we got at the beginning of the demo.

Back