CPU/Mobo [DISCUSSION] AMD 4700S Desktop Kit

With the newer BIOS there is no need to change the cooler. Idle is 63 degrees and daily usage like browing and watching movies it does not go over 65. Power plan MAX CPU 70

In games, load temps dont really go above 75 with full 4.0Ghz boost now. Power Plan MAX 100.

Has I said in my early post you can use Windows power plans to get temps under control without changing the cooler. I only need 2200Mhz to maintain 60fps and temps will drop
down to 65 degrees then. In higher demanding CPU games you may get higher temps but anything below 90 should be more than fine for this CPU.

For me, a better cooler is needed. Even with new bios im getting high temps.
I have a hyper 212 sitting down here and i really wish to use it on that 4700s.

I got 2 of these boards. One of them in a biggish case the temps are normal and that's in fairly cool environment but the 2nd build I've put in a mini-itx case and its getting warn there, its a headless setup in a not so cool place. I'm looking for some better low profile HSF on it.

I look forward to the bracket info for it.

I upgraded today to latest COA bios from C09 bios but after the update system stopped booting. Somehow the BIOS got corrupted. Tried resetting CMOS but it didn't work.
But, thank god I have a raspberry pi 4. I was able to flash the COA modded BIOS using it.
I can see there are lot of options enabled in it but I have no idea about most of these options.
My advice to people updating BIOS. Best way to update the BIOS would be the USB method. Here you can reflash again if something goes wrong. In windows the system would automatically reboot after flashing and you will not be able to verify if BIOS is correctly flashed.

I upgraded today to latest COA bios from C09 bios but after the update system stopped booting. Somehow the BIOS got corrupted. Tried resetting CMOS but it didn't work.
But, thank god I have a raspberry pi 4. I was able to flash the COA modded BIOS using it.
I can see there are lot of options enabled in it but I have no idea about most of these options.
My advice to people updating BIOS. Best way to update the BIOS would be the USB method. Here you can reflash again if something goes wrong. In windows the system would automatically reboot after flashing and you will not be able to verify if BIOS is correctly flashed.
Hi, how did you flash it again using pi 4 ? Any other hw required, can we flash any bios using pi ?

Hi guys, if I manage to get a "AMD 4700S desktop Kit", what else I will need to use it as HTPC? I guess a cabinet, PSU and graphics card? Anything else? I have a spare SSD.

Please suggest cheapest option.

what else I will need to use it as HTPC? I guess a cabinet, PSU and graphics card?

that's all you'll need. Go for matrexx 30 si/40 case, cooler master/corsair 450/550w bronze psu and look in the te marketplace for a cheap gpu

Hi guys, if I manage to get a "AMD 4700S desktop Kit", what else I will need to use it as HTPC? I guess a cabinet, PSU and graphics card? Anything else? I have a spare SSD.

Honestly, don't buy. In fact, I don't think even getting it for free is worth building something on top of it.

Hi, how did you flash it again using pi 4 ? Any other hw required, can we flash any bios using pi ?
Only cables are required to connect certain pins on raspberry pi to jspi connector on motherboard and an application.
Yes, you can flash any bios or take backup of bios.
Any motherboard that has SPI connector can be easily flashed with raspberry pi.
I am also thinking of making a video on it.

I got 2 of these boards. One of them in a biggish case the temps are normal and that's in fairly cool environment but the 2nd build I've put in a mini-itx case and its getting warn there, its a headless setup in a not so cool place. I'm looking for some better low profile HSF on it.

Can you share the temps. I am getting a minimum of 54°c in current summer season(no ac only desert cooler).
The temp reaches to 95-96°c maximum but it reaches this Max temp very quickly (within 20 second) if i push the cpu(eg. run cpu stress test)

Did some tests with power plans, on bios c0a, encoding a 26 seconds 4k video. IDLE temp was 55.
Power plan % | Encode time | Max temp
50% | 65.491s | 65°C
60% | 64.254s | 65°C
70% | 47.213s | 68°C
80% | 42.584s | 72°C
90% | 37.690s | 82°C
100%| 34.118s | 95°C

The CPU seems to start throttling when it gets around 70~80 degrees. From this temperature, the encoder speed is drastically reduced. It is possible to obtain better results than this in cold environments.

Last edited:
Got the HD6870 working with the 4700S!

XWadV7A.jpg

I had taken off the heatsink for measurements, in the meanwhile replaced the TIM with MX2. Replaced the fan with a 92mm fan as well

VcGTnTp.jpg

However since its a 3 pin fan, it runs full speed all the time, it got irritating real fast and switched back to the standard 80mm fan. Gonna replace it with a 120mm fan +adapter very soon.

First impressions of this PC are very good. I haven't updated the BIOS yet but everything seems to be running very fine so far!

I've designed a rudimentary LGA115X to 4700S adapter, will share here soon once I switch back to my old PC

XWadV7A.jpg

I had taken off the heatsink for measurements, in the meanwhile replaced the TIM with MX2. Replaced the fan with a 92mm fan as well

VcGTnTp.jpg

However since its a 3 pin fan, it runs full speed all the time, it got irritating real fast and switched back to the standard 80mm fan. Gonna replace it with a 120mm fan +adapter very soon.

First impressions of this PC are very good. I haven't updated the BIOS yet but everything seems to be running very fine so far!

I've designed a rudimentary LGA115X to 4700S adapter, will share here soon once I switch back to my old PC
did you put the cpu fan to blow or to suck air to the heatsink?

from jspi slot i guess

I suppose you will need something like a funnel otherwise cooling will not be efficient
I'm ditching the plan to put the XP90 or the funnel, I dont want to spend money on getting a 92mm PWM fan. Will instead put on the Thermalright HR01X. Have a Noctual 120mm fan which should pair nicely with it and will allow me to use liquid metal. Mounts for the HR01X will be WAY simple plus I can make them easily using the raw materials and tools I have in my garage.

did you put the cpu fan to blow or to suck air to the heatsink?
Blow into the heatsink

Okay so the hole spacing is a square 98mm across all sides. The screw is M2.5 size.

Here is a basic LGA115x to 4700 adapter plate. you have to figure out how to fix your 115x cooler to this plate but the holes will all line up. The holes on the 4700S side are assuming you want to reuse the screws/springs from the stock cooler. You must use a 2mm steel plate with laser cutting for this.

4700s 115x.jpg

Well my plans regarding the cooler has changed, it seems the HR01x wont fit the case I intend on using with this combo. Back to the XP90 I guess

Last edited:
Hi all,
I bought the AMD 4700s board. I have installed windows but am unable to boot into the system headless (without the graphics card).
I was able to boot headless in Linux but it wont work with windows.
Does anyone have a solution or know a workaround?
Thanks.

XWadV7A.jpg

VcGTnTp.jpg

@SunnyBoi what is that black sheet on your table, I want a similar work table, I think this would be better than a desk mat, atleast looks firmer.

It is great to know that headless works on linux; did you need to tweak anything in the Bios ?
For Windows it could be an OS limitation but I am not exactly sure.
It's an archlinux distro and boots fine. I had to update the Bios to COA and disable 'secure boot' for it to work.

Back