CPU/Mobo [DISCUSSION] AMD 4700S Desktop Kit

I'm ditching the plan to put the XP90 or the funnel, I dont want to spend money on getting a 92mm PWM fan. Will instead put on the Thermalright HR01X. Have a Noctual 120mm fan which should pair nicely with it and will allow me to use liquid metal. Mounts for the HR01X will be WAY simple plus I can make them easily using the raw materials and tools I have in my garage.

Blow into the heatsink

Okay so the hole spacing is a square 98mm across all sides. The screw is M2.5 size.

Here is a basic LGA115x to 4700 adapter plate. you have to figure out how to fix your 115x cooler to this plate but the holes will all line up. The holes on the 4700S side are assuming you want to reuse the screws/springs from the stock cooler. You must use a 2mm steel plate with laser cutting for this.

View attachment 136551

Well my plans regarding the cooler has changed, it seems the HR01x wont fit the case I intend on using with this combo. Back to the XP90 I guess
I wonder if it's not risky to use something plastic on a cpu that reaches 100 degrees at boot

Amazing.
4BxC10C3VMkmGVT1637371831_1637371846.jpg
shN0HsmTQDmokrA1637372963_1637372987.jpg
WVCEEY8OpF13NAF1637373296_1637373309.jpg

I upgraded today to latest COA bios from C09 bios but after the update system stopped booting. Somehow the BIOS got corrupted. Tried resetting CMOS but it didn't work.
But, thank god I have a raspberry pi 4. I was able to flash the COA modded BIOS using it.
I can see there are lot of options enabled in it but I have no idea about most of these options.
My advice to people updating BIOS. Best way to update the BIOS would be the USB method. Here you can reflash again if something goes wrong. In windows the system would automatically reboot after flashing and you will not be able to verify if BIOS is correctly flashed.
I upgraded from C04 to C09. Could you please let me know what new options are available in C0A modded BIOS.

I don't want to upgrade unless there is something useful in the C0A modded BIOS that I would use.
If you can post screenshots with C0A modded BIOS menus that will be great. Thanks

Well the XP90 is up and running

47.jpg

I'm currently using MX2 as a thermal paste and I'm not happy with the results

4700S CB23 xp90.JPG

This is after a 10 minute CB23 bench. This is stock cooler with MX2 :

4700S CB23.JPG

But hey, the idle temps are lower and fan doesnt ramp up as frequently as it did with the stock cooler. Perhaps there is a promise with shifting over to liquid metal

4700S xp90 idle.JPG

I think this chip runs inherently hot like all zen2 parts. Perhaps the lack of an IHS is also causing an issue. Hopefully I should get better results with liquid metal. Stay tuned

@SunnyBoi If you are still running C04 BIOS then you can expect high temps even in ST. The windows power plans dont work correctly in C04.
Your Vcore is also going to almost 1.392V-1.4V. AMD cool and quiet is disabled in the BIOS?

The CPU VID 1.550V reading is probably an error or misreported in HWINFO. On both my boards the MAX I saw was 1.337V

Last edited:
Looking at the case images shared earlier on the thread by @chetansha, there seems to be a heatpipe setup on the bottom of the board to soak the RAMs heat. Perhaps the memory chips a big factor in the overall thermal performance?, i suggest propping up the board on standoffs and supplying the backside of the board with some air to check the impact of these.

Looking at the case images shared earlier on the thread by @chetansha, there seems to be a heatpipe setup on the bottom of the board to soak the RAMs heat. Perhaps the memory chips a big factor in the overall thermal performance?, i suggest propping up the board on standoffs and supplying the backside of the board with some air to check the impact of these.
GDDR6 doesn't have heating issues. Especially when not using for large chunks of data but it's definitely contributing like 5-10C of heat.

Well the XP90 is up and running

View attachment 136649

I'm currently using MX2 as a thermal paste and I'm not happy with the results

View attachment 136650

This is after a 10 minute CB23 bench. This is stock cooler with MX2 :

View attachment 136651

But hey, the idle temps are lower and fan doesnt ramp up as frequently as it did with the stock cooler. Perhaps there is a promise with shifting over to liquid metal

View attachment 136652

I think this chip runs inherently hot like all zen2 parts. Perhaps the lack of an IHS is also causing an issue. Hopefully I should get better results with liquid metal. Stay tuned
As I said earlier, the issue is not the cooler itself. The major issue is that the heat is not transferred timely from the cpu to the cooler. I also feel the same that the lack of IHS is also not helping the cause.
Can you check if cooler is getting warm when stressing CPU?
Did you attach an aluminum cube to the heatsink as it is attached to the stock cooler?
Great job by the way @SunnyBoi

the 4700S is on liquid metal now. Temps havent reduced but average clocks have gone up, now at 3.6ghz instead of 3.5ghz earlier

4700S CB23 xp90 lm.JPG

The best part about shifting to liquid metal are the idle temps. The fans no longer ramp up during idle usage

4700S xp90 idle.JPG

SOme folks may have noticed but the heatsink isnt stright. It used to serve cooling my A64 3000+ back in 2005-06. I got a Thermalright Ultra120 and retired this cooler. It was then shipped to a friend where it got damaged during transit. I noticed this morning that the base wasn't completely flat, I tried sanding it down and reducing it. Still the cooler doesnt appear to be sitting flush on the die. maybe the mounts have got bent as well. I'll revisit this during a later day. I'm very happy witht he idle temps and thats what this PC will be doing during most of its life anyway.

With this, I'll replace the stock 80mm fan which I've been using as a stand in with a Noctua F12 plus a fan adaptor and call it a day.

@SunnyBoi If you are still running C04 BIOS then you can expect high temps even in ST. The windows power plans dont work correctly in C04.
Your Vcore is also going to almost 1.392V-1.4V. AMD cool and quiet is disabled in the BIOS?

The CPU VID 1.550V reading is probably an error or misreported in HWINFO. On both my boards the MAX I saw was 1.337V
I'm running C0A modded BIOS. I haven't touched CnQ settings on mine yet

I checked on the base and it was HOTTTT. Untouchably hot. I've put the board on standoffs now.

As I said earlier, the issue is not the cooler itself. The major issue is that the heat is not transferred timely from the cpu to the cooler. I also feel the same that the lack of IHS is also not helping the cause.
Can you check if cooler is getting warm when stressing CPU?
Did you attach an aluminum cube to the heatsink as it is attached to the stock cooler?

The cooler is ice cold, even the base with the fan at 100% and temps showing 95*. Not sure what aluminium cube you're referring to.

the 4700S is on liquid metal now. Temps havent reduced but average clocks have gone up, now at 3.6ghz instead of 3.5ghz earlier

View attachment 136674

The best part about shifting to liquid metal are the idle temps. The fans no longer ramp up during idle usage

View attachment 136675

SOme folks may have noticed but the heatsink isnt stright. It used to serve cooling my A64 3000+ back in 2005-06. I got a Thermalright Ultra120 and retired this cooler. It was then shipped to a friend where it got damaged during transit. I noticed this morning that the base wasn't completely flat, I tried sanding it down and reducing it. Still the cooler doesnt appear to be sitting flush on the die. maybe the mounts have got bent as well. I'll revisit this during a later day. I'm very happy witht he idle temps and thats what this PC will be doing during most of its life anyway.

With this, I'll replace the stock 80mm fan which I've been using as a stand in with a Noctua F12 plus a fan adaptor and call it a day.

I'm running C0A modded BIOS. I haven't touched CnQ settings on mine yet

I checked on the base and it was HOTTTT. Untouchably hot. I've put the board on standoffs now.

The cooler is ice cold, even the base with the fan at 100% and temps showing 95*. Not sure what aluminium cube you're referring to.
This is what I am talking about.

Here are the readings I am getting using stock cooler with custom fan curve using speedfan.
I am only Cooler master v1 thermal compound with stock cooler.
The lower temps are fine by me but max temp worries me. Only need to get the max temp below 90

Attachments

• PXL_20220615_115250153.jpg
    PXL_20220615_115250153.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 130
  • cinebenchj.jpg
    cinebenchj.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 144
  • speed.JPG
    speed.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 139
The lower temps are fine by me but max temp worries me. Only need to get the max temp below 90
Using a non damaged cooler unlike mine should net better results what I have got. I am tempted to just try out my HR01X on this for kicks but I dont have enough liquid metal to installer coolers twice more.

Good to know speedfan works on this!

@SunnyBoi Have you tried using this modded BIOS?
I am using it. There is no difference with regular C0A BIOS.

At this point there is no benefit of using the modded BIOS because there is no useful options left to unlock. Just stick with the regular C0A BIOS

Back