CPU/Mobo [DISCUSSION] AMD 4700S Desktop Kit

If anyone wants rejected ps5 chips

4n3Q8Q9.jpg
Still deal for SFF folks.

No option for running 20 series or higher cards due to PCIE limitation

Also would want to know if the supported graphics card list is still very small, or if it would work with others
List of Compatible Graphics Cards:AMD Radeon™ 550 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ RX 550 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ RX 560 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ RX 570 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ RX 580 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ RX 590 Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 710
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Not worth it for most folks, unless you have specific workload that can work fine on this setup. Prospective buyers should keep in mind that it comes with 8/16 GB GDDR6 memory rather than DDR4 memory. This has huge implications in latency sensitive applications where this CPU will mostly be used for so do look at some reviews before taking the plunge.

Also, please refer this https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/21791450-c-4700s-dtkit-singleunitpkg_fnl.pdf for more details. It Only 2 SATA ports with no nvme storage option.

Not worth it for most folks, unless you have specific workload that can work fine on this setup. Prospective buyers should keep in mind that it comes with 8/16 GB GDDR6 memory rather than DDR4 memory. This has huge implications in latency sensitive applications where this CPU will mostly be used for so do look at some reviews before taking the plunge.

Also, please refer this https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/21791450-c-4700s-dtkit-singleunitpkg_fnl.pdf for more details. It Only 2 SATA ports with no nvme storage option.
It was good bet for HTPC or home server. Especially NAS, Plex and similar builds

Yup, Ryzen can run headless. Tested with Ryzen CPUs.
I'm not sure if it will work with this kit. Users reported no boot with no GPU connected. There is lot more info on gfx card compatibility and others on this thread

FWIW Ive grabbed one. if it works with older gfx cards it might replace my ancient sandybridge PC.

EDIT : Prime bumped up the price to 8999 now

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it will work with this kit. Users reported no boot with no GPU connected. There is lot more info on gfx card compatibility and others on this thread

FWIW Ive grabbed one. if it works with older gfx cards it might replace my ancient sandybridge PC.

EDIT : Prime bumped up the price to 8999 now
Seems so, one wont be able to run headless.

Updated earlier post. thanks

This is a great thread for prospective buyers, some of the comments their highlight the main issues with this platform. Looks like there are multiple compatibility issues with this as well. Also it runs very hot & you cannot change the cooler.

Some of the quotes
I finally understood the downside on this kit and it's GDDR6 Ram and Latency mentioned.

You can't run multiple tasks at the same time, they all freeze.

It's meant to run a single foreground activity and no large background activity whatsoever.

Small things are fine, like services and audio streaming and all.

But try to run an installer, and a browser, you get the system hangs.
The CPU really wants to stay at 4GHz with up to 1.39v which causes it to run hot and loud. I managed to drop ~3C by replacing its thermal compound with Artic MX4 but it still runs hot.

The cooler cannot be changed, the fan it comes with is amazing for an 80mm fan (or was it 92mm) so it's not worth changing. I've tried to undervolt and underclock but the motherboard has no options for that and the best I managed was to change PStates but even that has no effect when the cpu wants to boost past PStates (which is 100% of the time when you run folding@home).

Basically, having GDDR6 memory seems to be causing lot of performance issues in an otherwise good CPU. Memory latency with GDDR6 is rough ~ 145ns compared to the 70-80ns that 2nd gen ryzen processors were know for.

Back