Ear phones for smartphone & mp3 player (~1k)

GODMODE09

Adept
Aug 22, 2012
Hi guys ,
I'm looking to buy earphones for smartphone (prolly nexus 5) and also use the same for my mp3 player and ipod,etc . Not going to plug it in the PC/laptop .
I'm not an audiophile and have never invested in a good quality earphones.
I'll be mainly using it to listen to audio books , watch videos on my phone and general music.
Budget is ~1k . Preferably within 1k.

Please suggest me the best within 1k

Thanks in advance.

GODMODE09

Adept
Aug 22, 2012
Thanks guys , does this have noise isolation too? I'll be wearing it in the gym and there will be gym music playing , if I listen through this , will it isolate outer noises / music?
I can extend my budget till 1.5k if this does'nt have noise isolation :)

hitesh12

Adept
Mar 16, 2011
Thanks guys , does this have noise isolation too? I'll be wearing it in the gym and there will be gym music playing , if I listen through this , will it isolate outer noises / music?
Isolation is somewhat average but for gym you are definitely gonna need more than that (unless you highly increase the volume which I wouldn't suggest)

prateekS

Skilled
Sep 19, 2012
Mumbai

MP-21?

It used to retail for 1300..i had purchased it 1.5 years ago for 800 in a deal.. Working Fine till now..

hitesh12

Adept
Mar 16, 2011
MP-21?

It used to retail for 1300..i had purchased it 1.5 years ago for 800 in a deal.. Working Fine till now..
It has better isolation than es18 ? I can't think of any iem within 1.5k which gives significant increase in isolation over it

prateekS

Skilled
Sep 19, 2012
Mumbai
It has better isolation than es18 ? I can't think of any iem within 1.5k which gives significant increase in isolation over it

I use the earphones at 50% windows volume... And 30-40% vlc media player volume.. And i can't hear anything outside.. Cant tell u about isolation.. Has a mic too..

F3niX

TechH0LiC
Skilled
May 12, 2009
Hyderabad,AP
about.me
On ES-18, keep a correct sized buds and noise isolation is great. I cannot hear anything unless the volume is down or the song has stopped playing.
For the price, it is great. I used it at Gym too, and It was comfortable. Atleast It is better than PL11, dont know much about the MP21 or PL21 in this regard

GODMODE09

Adept
Aug 22, 2012
^^ - Thanks , will look them out . I researched online and every article is saying SM E10 is the best . But it's like 1.8k . Is it worth it when ES-18 is like 700 bucks?
They all look the same to me o_O

aman.pitbull

Skilled
Feb 10, 2007
Navi Mumbai
E-10 is wonderful, it's I think one of the few SoundMagic IEMs in this price range with a decent build quality. If you can extend your budget then it's a pretty good option.

ES-18 is good in it's own price range.

E-10 has amazing SQ and sound stage without sacrificing on low frequency. I got it for 1.4K( some offer on Snapdeal 4 months back) a few months back for a friend and I loved it.

Last edited:

ritwick

Recruit
Sep 18, 2011
www.centpage.com
I love my creative ep630 and would recommend you to buy it and save some money. Priced 900/-
It's over 2 years now and it's giving me the same great performance. Love it.

guptavis

Adept
Mar 24, 2009
sorry for hijacking the thread but i have exactly same requirement.
need an iem for watching movies/music on laptop while in bus/train.
so comfort and noise isolation are essential.
price should be below 1k. es18 ~650, pl11~750, ep630~900
dont have an option of listening to any of them. which ones do you think will be best?

Sep 19, 2011
sorry for hijacking the thread but i have exactly same requirement.
need an iem for watching movies/music on laptop while in bus/train.
so comfort and noise isolation are essential.
price should be below 1k. es18 ~650, pl11~750, ep630~900
dont have an option of listening to any of them. which ones do you think will be best?
ES18 is the best amongst these. I had it for a year and it outshines every other IEM under 1k.

GODMODE09

Adept
Aug 22, 2012
Yeah ... the ear phone is darn good .. I can hear even the lows and all background musics very clearly .. Simply awesome .
But it comes with 3 ear buds sizes and I can't find the right fit for me .
I tried medium and it was a bit loose . I tried big , it looked like it would fit tightly , but after I insert it , it loosens up after 5 secs too . Have'nt tried small.
I mean when ur wearing it and u push it a bit inside with ur hands , the sound is so perfect with lots of noise isolation too , but as soon as you take your hand off after shoving them inside your ear , it loosens up a little bit and it's not like when u have your hand pressing it in ..
( I'm sorry if this is a noob question , I have'nt used ear phones before and don't know how to find my right size ).
What do I do ?

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
Nov 28, 2011
香港
@GODMODE09 It appears that buds provided are not fitting properly. This was case with me in my previous IEMs but however I had retained buds from my Sony Ericsson phone which were of perfect fit. Option I can suggest you is trying to find out unused buds from any of your friends which are of better fit than yours. Sound quality does vary on bud size/quality.

EDIT: Alternatively local mobile shops do have buds.