Encounter with Noobs !!!!

Just remembered something..........
A friend of mine once told me that he can give the GTA Vice City game on a CD. Knowing him as big noob, I asked him how he came to know about compression and burning in a CD-ROM. He just grinned and said its a 'magic'.
Later, he gave me the game within the CD. Back home I got the most shocking experience. Do you know what?
He just burned the GTA Vice City icon of his desktop on the CD and gave it to me.......

I have one experience to add. Not sure whether its n00bish OR not :p

A chap of mine, got a new Android phone (not his newest, but maybe 2nd?, unsure). He got it rooted and proceeded to remove some bloatware from the stock ROM. He did not like the Settings.apk icon and decided to remove it. He thought its not useful for the phone OR whatever excuse. Without a backup!

- - - Updated - - -

Super EPIC.

It's been 3 days since I got my new cellphone (Lumia 920) and whenever some random guy notices it, the first inevitable question:

"Kitna megapixel camera hein?"

Me: 8.7 MP

"Bas? :O 36k wala phone mein kaali 8.7 MP? Dus-hazaar ki Micromex (notice mex not max, that's how they pronounce it here) mein 8 MP ki camera hein tho is mein kya badi baat hein? :sleep:"

Me:
images

This includes some of my friends as well!
Oh wait for the "36k wala phone & it's not iPhone" comment :p

I was stupid enough to invest lot of hours of my computer in extracting a KGB archive, expecting that it had an entire movie in it. :ashamed:

Mine is a White Color - Orange San Francisco .
Whenever a new person notices it asks : How much is the phone ?
Me : 10k
Other Person : 10k for a china phone ??
me: :facepalm:

I was stupid enough to invest lot of hours of my computer in extracting a KGB archive, expecting that it had an entire movie in it. :ashamed:
Actually KGB archives do. I had a 12MB file which had entire Windows 7, 3.8GB DVD in it. There's also 10MB Windows 8 floating around in net. You can google for it & get it.

KGB archives use PAQ6 algorithm which does awesome with high compression ratio. Obviously it will take lots of CPU/Memory.

not n00b actualy - a prank in the office:

Somehow we got a unused WiFi router in the testing bay. (testing folks use that sometimes - mostly remain unused)
So, we just power it on - no input source - and made the SSID as "FacebookProxy" and no authentication password was set.
:yahoo:

ps: Of course it obvious facebook is blocked by our company proxy. Bloody 'web-sense'

This thread is awesome..
its almost an hour I'm on this thread
Here's my contribution

http://sirkan.iit.bme.hu/~kapolnai/fun/b**checker.html

Its old.. I think many of you would have read..
For those who haven't.. :)

Actually KGB archives do. I had a 12MB file which had entire Windows 7, 3.8GB DVD in it. There's also 10MB Windows 8 floating around in net. You can google for it & get it.

KGB archives use PAQ6 algorithm which does awesome with high compression ratio. Obviously it will take lots of CPU/Memory.

HAHA NICE !!
please go to Maximum Compression (lossless data compression software)
and clear your doubts regarding compression ..
and the PAQAR compression also you talking about ..

I might be wrong here but once i did download that Under 10MB windows which when expanded would be some GBs with entire windows file system and all setup files. But i was curious about this and started opening some files, even exe, randomly and as expected all it had was a string of 0's. As expected that setup was bogus and never worked. These so called highly compressed archives have nothing but all same strings (usually 0s) in each of the files which makes super high compression possible i believe.

Edit: Just tried myself. Made a text file with all 0s and the file size became 27MB. Compressed it to zip in normal archive mode and it was 33 KB.

HAHA NICE !!
please go to Maximum Compression (lossless data compression software)
and clear your doubts regarding compression ..
and the PAQAR compression also you talking about ..
HAHAHAHHA ! My facts are clear & may be you have some doubt. If you don't know how to use KGB, then don't tell going around people it doesn't works. Just search for KGB archiver in TE itself & see what people are saying. And it's not PAQAR -_-

I might be wrong here but once i did download that Under 10MB windows which when expanded would be some GBs with entire windows file system and all setup files. But i was curious about this and started opening some files, even exe, randomly and as expected all it had was a string of 0's. As expected that setup was bogus and never worked. These so called highly compressed archives have nothing but all same strings (usually 0s) in each of the files which makes super high compression possible i believe.

Edit: Just tried myself. Made a text file with all 0s and the file size became 27MB. Compressed it to zip in normal archive mode and it was 33 KB.
It's fun to play pranks with archive files that's what people do :p

Regarding 27MB - 33KB, that's how compression actually works. Basically compression software gets rid of the redundant bytes. More time you give, more redundant data is removed [& there are various algorithms too].

Let's just say, you have a file with data : "Ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country."

each word appeared twice, so software just gets rid of redundant words while compressing & adds them decompressing. It's that simple :)

Then there are two types of compression, Lossy & Lossless.

HAHAHAHHA ! My facts are clear & may be you have some doubt. If you don't know how to use KGB, then don't tell going around people it doesn't works. Just search for KGB archiver in TE itself & see what people are saying. And it's not PAQAR -_-

it doesn't matter what people say , the truth matters and practically doing it matters ..
go and see the charts of the compression ,
they took 300 mb of data (random files) and tried to compress using kgb and they got around 60mb ..
i'm not saying kgb is fake ,kgb indeed is among the highest compressors as it uses paq6 , but you cant get 4gb into 12 mb if it ain't text ..
check out the compression charts based on compression ratio you will find those paq algorithms at top .

and here's the proof about the 12mb windows 7 you are talking about ..

1. do you know that windows 7 installation comes with a wmv file wildlife.wmv which is a hd file with 25mb size ..
2. leave the whole windows 7 aside, just go and compress even this 25mb file with kgb and i mean compress not convert (its actually transcoding not converting)
3. i bet you cant even get 20mb out of that , leave the whole windows 7 aside ..
4. there goes your 12mb archive into drain ..

It's fun to play pranks with archive files that's what people do :p

Regarding 27MB - 33KB, that's how compression actually works. Basically compression software gets rid of the redundant bytes. More time you give, more redundant data is removed [& there are various algorithms too].

Let's just say, you have a file with data : "Ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country."

each word appeared twice, so software just gets rid of redundant words while compressing & adds them decompressing. It's that simple :)

Then there are two types of compression, Lossy & Lossless.

I do know some bits about compression. I suggest you download one of those ultra small archives and extract yourself and check whether it works. Chances are it won't. It is just bogus and has files which are all the same with almost same data in all of them. The compression would have been even higher if it was a single file with all same data but here same data is there but in multiple files with different extension and made to look as if it is genuine windows or whatever setup.

Back