English TV series discussion

Those who thinks breaking bad is the bomb need to watch "BOSS"

Kesley Grammar is brilliant.

You miss Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad, you get BOSS.
<

Started Sons Of Anarchy.

No idea whats the fuss is about. Its a very good show. yes. Its the cheer leader effect IMO.
<

Bad Ass Attitude+Bike+Explicit Scenes&Language -> WIN

Are there any good sci-fi series?

I watched star-trek TOS, Firefly, now watching Stargate SG1 will be starting Battlestar Gallactica soon.

i want something long like Stagate lots of episodes 10+5+2 seasons
<
after Star trek and Firefly left a sour taste due to few episodes.

FYI I hate Star wars.

Are there any good sci-fi series?

I watched star-trek TOS, Firefly, now watching Stargate SG1 will be starting Battlestar Gallactica soon.

i want something long like Stagate lots of episodes 10+5+2 seasons
<
after Star trek and Firefly left a sour taste due to few episodes.

FYI I hate Star wars.

Good Sci-Fi shows?

Doctor Who - Is very divisive. You either love it or hate it, but I think it is the greatest TV show ever created.
<
Start watching from the 2005 Series where it restarted after a 25 year hiatus. Up to 6+ season now, with about 13 episodes + 1 special per season.

Babylon 5 - Great sci-fi show with equal parts diplomacy, action and social commentary. Complete at 5 seasons.

Andromeda - Complete at 5 seasons. About a captain of a ship from a fallen monarchy who comes out of stasis 300 years after the fall. Show is about him trying to rebuild the commonwealth.

Farscape - Complete at 5 seasons. About a human astronaut who enters a wormhole by mistake and ends up joining a crew of aliens in their giant living ship.

Red Dwarf - Hilarious space sitcom/comedy. At 9+ seasons (with 6 episodes per season). Cast includes, the last human alive, his annoying best friend who is now a hologram, a cat that has evolved into a humanoid form after millenia, the ship's AI and a robot.

Futurama - Really funny sci-fi cartoon from the makers of The Simosons. 6 + seasons and running.

Cowboy Bebop - Great sci-fi anime, complete at 26 episodes.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Awesome Sci-Fi. An anime that greatly inspired many things in the matrix world. Maybe the most "hard sci-fi" of the shows I have listed.

The Prisoner (the original series) - Part psychological thriller, part Sci-Fi. Complete at 17 episodes.

Life on Mars - Great series but could be considered speculative fiction as opposed to full on Sci-Fi.

Eureka - Current day sci-fi set on earth. Still running but is about to end after the next season. Good fun but wouldn't classify it as great sci-fi.

I'll add more when I remember them.

Good Sci-Fi shows?

Doctor Who - Is very divisive. You either love it or hate it, but I think it is the greatest TV show ever created.
<
Start watching from the 2005 Series where it restarted after a 25 year hiatus. Up to 6+ season now, with about 13 episodes + 1 special per season.

Babylon 5 - Great sci-fi show with equal parts diplomacy, action and social commentary. Complete at 5 seasons.

Andromeda - Complete at 5 seasons. About a captain of a ship from a fallen monarchy who comes out of stasis 300 years after the fall. Show is about him trying to rebuild the commonwealth.

Farscape - Complete at 5 seasons. About a human astronaut who enters a wormhole by mistake and ends up joining a crew of aliens in their giant living ship.

Red Dwarf - Hilarious space sitcom/comedy. At 9+ seasons (with 6 episodes per season). Cast includes, the last human alive, his annoying best friend who is now a hologram, a cat that has evolved into a humanoid form after millenia, the ship's AI and a robot.

Futurama - Really funny sci-fi cartoon from the makers of The Simosons. 6 + seasons and running.

Cowboy Bebop - Great sci-fi anime, complete at 26 episodes.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Awesome Sci-Fi. An anime that greatly inspired many things in the matrix world. Maybe the most "hard sci-fi" of the shows I have listed.

The Prisoner (the original series) - Part psychological thriller, part Sci-Fi. Complete at 17 episodes.

Life on Mars - Great series but could be considered speculative fiction as opposed to full on Sci-Fi.

Eureka - Current day sci-fi set on earth. Still running but is about to end after the next season. Good fun but wouldn't classify it as great sci-fi.

I'll add more when I remember them.

Thanks for your inputs. THAT a very BIG volume of sci-fi stuff
<
, you quite caught my interest --- ALIENS

Also a good series I remembered " Dark Skies" 1 season (20 episodes).

I will start with Babylon 5 and Andromeda

Any opinion about 'V'

If you can consider anime then Legend of Galactic Heroes is great. Looks dated but the depth and detail is incredible enough to overlook it. And for post-apocalyptic series Jeremiah is an underrated gem. BSG starts off amazing but it gets increasingly annoying as it goes on and the finale was a travesty.

Thanks for your inputs. THAT a very BIG volume of sci-fi stuff
<
, you quite caught my interest --- ALIENS

Also a good series I remembered " Dark Skies" 1 season (20 episodes).

I will start with Babylon 5 and Andromeda

Any opinion about 'V'

For me, a lot of modern Sci-Fi (especially American) shows do not seem to be about big ideas and sci-fi. They just have the sci-fi as a novel social backdrop but the shows devolve into the usual tv drama of family relationships, teenage angst, etc. The shows always seem to be written in a "we'll make it up as we go along" fashion. I am talking about shows like V, Terra Nova, Heroes, Stargate Universe etc. Writing is all over the place and it almost seems like the writing every week depends on the reaction of the focus groups the previous week.

I watched the first couple of episodes of Battlestar Galactica and got the same impression but friends have told me that it improves a lot after the first few episodes. I should give it another try.

For me, a lot of modern Sci-Fi (especially American) shows do not seem to be about big ideas and sci-fi. They just have the sci-fi as a novel social backdrop but the shows devolve into the usual tv drama of family relationships, teenage angst, etc.

I'd recommend you watch Stargate SG1, the tv series is actually a sequel to the movie Stargate (1994).

Its has quite a serious tone, not the usual drama, family stuff. Has good action diplomacy to the levels of Startrek TOS a la James T. Kirk also good action, though its bit repetitive. Also there are multiple enemies resorting to unscrupulous attacks.

i share your opinion regarding terra nova. It was a let down only the 1st and the last episodes were good one, I hope they handle the new turn in the story well, also i dont want them to copy the storyline of Lost.

Any idea about Beavis and Butthead airing in India? I dont think so.

Were their previous seasons aired?

really love it, twisted sense of humor.

I had started with House S08 initially but stopped, guess i will get entire season 8 after it is complete and then start watching.

For now, completed Arrested Development and now waiting for it to release on Netflix for the 4th season.

Started with Californication.

Completed Prison Break last night. Amazing, absolutely amazing series. The good thing about this show was that it never lost it's pace and I didn't feel there was any dull episode. The finale was concluded properly, despite a web of conspiracy theories being spawned. This is right up there with Breaking Bad.
<

OT: I re-installed Window 2 days back and IMDB's website isn't filling up my whole screen. Anyway to make it occupy the entire widescreen for better viewing?

Looks like imdb changed their interface,Prison break season 1 was the best but the whole series is awesome,Mahone,T-bag these two characters were awesome.

Luck seems promising in terms of New Series..! - Also with Al Pacino, there is always something to enjoy on screen.

The River was disappointing..!

Back