English TV series discussion

Person of Interest S02E15.
More blue screens. And some old villains are back.
And next episode is directed by Jonathan Nolan himself. :yahoo:

Thank you for mentioning the show here. It is awesome, I was looking for a new series and this is it. From the moment I looked at its intro on youtube, I was mindblown. And yeah Watch Dogs seems to be inspired from this show. :)

Thank you for mentioning the show here. It is awesome, I was looking for a new series and this is it. From the moment I looked at its intro on youtube, I was mindblown. And yeah Watch Dogs seems to be inspired from this show. :)

PoI get even bigger in scope in Season 2. You will not regret it. :bigok:

The latest episode of PoI was amazing again. Nice to see how Reese and Finch appear in one of their PoI's point of view. (It was like one of those Doctor Who episodes where the Doctor and companions are not the main characters).

PS: After that episode, if anyone is looking for another show that has Sarah Shahi in it, watch Life. Complete at two seasons and a pretty good show.

Hey all TE fellow who Love Big Bang Theory ...
Personally Big Band Theory is one of my favourite comic sitcom :)
This is something that will give you a high laughter for sure :bigok:
Now watch Agneepath at Big Band Theory Style :) :rofl: :rofl:

Big Bang lovers must much this , its Hilarious :) :hail: :clapping:

Damn websense cannot watch this...have to keep a reminder to watch when i get home, btw how long is the video ? May be i can use some of my 3G bandwidth to watch now.

@Ankush Avoid all comedy shows with background laughter in it. If they really believed their script had the balls to be humorous, the background laughter cue to remind you to laugh won't be there. It trains your mind to laugh at jokes which are not even there.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ankush Avoid all comedy shows with background laughter in it. If they really believed their script had the balls to be humorous, the background laughter cue to remind you to laugh won't be there. It trains your mind to laugh at jokes which are not even there.

Sir .. I shall rep you I get to a PC. I couldn't agree more.. rather laugh at the jokes I find funny than being given laugh cues every 5 secs.

I agree with the hate against laughter tracks. I believe all shows should stop using it. I wish a great show like Seinfeld was available without the annoying laughter tracks.

The Big Bang Theory does not use laughter track. It is performed in front of live audience. Everything you see is a set.
Can't believe some people still don't know about it.

I agree with the hate against laughter tracks. I believe all shows should stop using it. I wish a great show like Seinfeld was available without the annoying laughter tracks.

Fun fact: Larry David actually asked the audience to stop "wooing" when the characters made their entrances into the scene as it was screwing with their timing. So one of the seasons (3 or 4) starts off with the typical sitcom "woo"'s and then suddenly they stop.

@Mr.J

Yes you are right but i guess what @Xavier. @dexBG and @blkrb0t meant that any comedy show having some sort of background laughter irrespective of whether it is live audience or a laughter track added later.
Btw you do know that these live audiences have a big board saying "LAUGHTER" or something which lights up when the audience is suppose to laugh and that's how everyone laughs together.

@Mr.J
Btw you do know that these live audiences have a big board saying "LAUGHTER" or something which lights up when the audience is suppose to laugh and that's how everyone laughs together.

I don't think that is the case with TBBT, they had to change the lines for each take (first video, just after 7 minutes) to make audience laugh.

The Big Bang Theory does not use laughter track. It is performed in front of live audience. Everything you see is a set.
Can't believe some people still don't know about it.

Thanks for that piece of info. I didn't know about it. However, I'm a regular viewer of BBT and I still feel that they use canned laughter. It doesn't feel natural even in the videos that you posted. Regardless of whether the laughter is genuine or not, I personally don't want a show's director telling me when to laugh and when to give out an awkward chuckle. I can decide that for myself. Imagine background cries of despair or agony in a horror movie/show? This is why shows like Weeds and Community feel genuinely funny to me. Pierce Hawthorne and Doug Wilson wouldn't be half as effective if we were told when to laugh at their lines.

@soggy316

Thanks for that interesting piece of information.

I don't think that is the case with TBBT, they had to change the lines for each take (first video, just after 7 minutes) to make audience laugh.

They used canned laughter apart from the live, just hear some of the background laughter when Sheldon is around. They use a mix of both.

It's a psychological trick TV has employed to slowly sensitize the audience to certain kind of jokes. It also makes it for easy viewing as you don't have to "get the joke" or think much about it, the laughter itself will cue you that something funny was said, but it's not the case with many of the scenes they do, they are so bland and void of any humour.

Community is far better than the TBBT, and they don't require any such tricks to make me laugh. All they need is good script and acting.

I would say community is a polarizing show - you either love it or hate it. I would say Parks & Rec is the best comedy on TV today, The first season was a bit iffy, 2nd to the current (5th) season have been unequivocally brilliant.

The video i uploaded was in actually compiled by Adnan Faizy For an Editing event at Cutting Chai'13, An annual Inter-bmm festival organized by R.D.National College, Bandra. The theme this year was Tv. The contingent given to us was Sheldon-The Big Bang Theory and the Trailer Given to them was That of agneepath. One had to use the audio of the trailer As it is without any changes and Use the Clippings of the show allotted to you to make an In sync Audio-Visual For the same.

@blkrb0t , @dexBG I Totally agree with you , i also believe that comedy shows can make you laugh if and only if the script do the talking rather than some sort of background laughter .

The Big Bang Theory does not use laughter track. It is performed in front of live audience. Everything you see is a set. Can't believe some people still don't know about it.
Thanks for sharing this information no idea about it as such .

And @Xavier its Totally true we don't want a show's director telling us when to laugh and when to give out an awkward chuckle.We can decide for our self when to Roll on floor laughing or when to yawn... :p

And yes Community is much far better than BBT , all you need is a nice script to make a good show .

Fun fact: Larry David actually asked the audience to stopped "wooing" when the characters made their entrances into the scene as it was screwing with their timing. So one of the season (3 or 4) starts off with the typical sitcom "woo";s and then suddenly they stop.

haha really a fun fact :)

I cannot get on the TBBT bandwagon. Someone called it Nerd Blackface and I have to agree with them. It seems to be making fun of what people think nerds behave like. Most of the "jokes" just seem to be name dropping/references to something that sounds geeky.

BHqEYsu.png

I do have to disagree that laugh track = bad comedy show. Some of the greatest comedy shows ever have had laugh tracks.

Fawlty Towers
Blackadder
M*A*S*H
Yes Minister

If they really believed their script had the balls to be humorous, the background laughter cue to remind you to laugh won't be there. It trains your mind to laugh at jokes which are not even there.

They used canned laughter apart from the live, just hear some of the background laughter when Sheldon is around. They use a mix of both.

It's a psychological trick TV has employed to slowly sensitize the audience to certain kind of jokes. It also makes it for easy viewing as you don't have to "get the joke" or think much about it, the laughter itself will cue you that something funny was said, but it's not the case with many of the scenes they do, they are so bland and void of any humour.

Community is far better than the TBBT, and they don't require any such tricks to make me laugh. All they need is good script and acting.
Agreed totally. It's actually quite irritating when directors wants me to laugh whenever he wants.

I cannot get on the TBBT bandwagon. Someone called it Nerd Blackface and I have to agree with them. It seems to be making fun of what people think nerds behave like. Most of the "jokes" just seem to be name dropping/references to something that sounds geeky.
LOL @ the comic strip, but it's actually quite true. TBBT 1 was actually good & kinda felt different. But later it started sucking eventually. Just putting up geek word doesn't make any show geek-humor. Penny knows shit about acting. Later seasons started sucking so bad, sometimes I just used to fast forward. Now I have totally stopped watching it. And Community is miles ahead, one should't even compare it with TBBT. But TBBT is a lot famous in India compared to Community because everyone here wants to laugh on so called geek-humor :-/

Same applies to HIMYM also. A very good show, has become shit. Fortunately Season 9 will be it's last. Barney isn't funny as earlier :-/

PS: After that episode, if anyone is looking for another show that has Sarah Shahi in it, watch Life. Complete at two seasons and a pretty good show.
Thanks for mentioning Life. Crime/Drama/Mystery, it's totally seems my type.

Back