Flipkart deals

Pls suggest one usb c type enclosure that can take m2 sata ssd (samsung 860 evo) or maybe compatible with m2 sata and nvme drives too!
In my experience spending money on NVMe/m.2 enclosures is risky as my friend bought one popular budget enclosure from orico & for the first 2-3 times it worked as advertised(up to 10gbps) supporting 800-900MB/s speeds for 970 evo plus but after that it never managed to achieve more than 40-50MB/s(aka usb 2.0 level speeds). Even testing it is costly as type c cables supporting even 5gbps(~500MB/s speeds) costs at least Rs.500 while the enclosure itself sells for around 1600.

In my experience spending money on NVMe/m.2 enclosures is risky as my friend bought one popular budget enclosure from orico & for the first 2-3 times it worked as advertised(up to 10gbps) supporting 800-900MB/s speeds for 970 evo plus but after that it never managed to achieve more than 40-50MB/s(aka usb 2.0 level speeds). Even testing it is costly as type c cables supporting even 5gbps(~500MB/s speeds) costs at least Rs.500 while the enclosure itself sells for around 1600.
IIRC, the included type C cable gives USB3 speeds in one orientation only.

There are usually 2 issues with purchasing these Orico enclosures. One is the supplied cable is cheap and fails quickly. Secondly, they use generic firmware for the chipset used in the device but the heat management is poor, due to which it is unable to sustain performance of any kind.

I had this issue with another enclosure. Every time I flashed a firmware for the chipset it provided 800-900 Mbps but then fell down to 200-300 until I flashed the firmware again and so on, which is a waste of time.

There are usually 2 issues with purchasing these Orico enclosures. One is the supplied cable is cheap and fails quickly. Secondly, they use generic firmware for the chipset used in the device but the heat management is poor, due to which it is unable to sustain performance of any kind.
oh for me i have been using the 2.5mm for my SSD which is portable ...for almost 3 years no issues...maybe I have been lucky

IIRC, the included type C cable gives USB3 speeds in one orientation only.
Technically it shouldn't be possible as usb C connector is supposed to be identical regarding data transfer speeds regardless of orientation. Also, how can one possibly differentiate between orientations of a cable having type C port at both ends anyway.
Secondly, they use generic firmware for the chipset used in the device but the heat management is poor, due to which it is unable to sustain performance of any kind.

I had this issue with another enclosure. Every time I flashed a firmware for the chipset it provided 800-900 Mbps but then fell down to 200-300 until I flashed the firmware again and so on, which is a waste of time.
All NVMe heat up & thermal throttling is supposed to be temporary. It shouldn't leave any "permanent throttle" which require a firmware flash to reset.

oh for me i have been using the 2.5mm for my SSD which is portable ...for almost 3 years no issues...maybe I have been lucky
2.5" sata ssd are fine as their usb controllers are much more stable & mature compared to ones required by NVMe drives.

Those FK supercoins are a joke. I thought I'll get a youtube premium plan using the coins and when i go to YT webpage YT is giving away 3 months premium free. No need to spend coins.
Yes, FK coins are as crap as FK itself! Dont rely on them nor FK prices.
Not too long ago I highlighted one FK scam where the product prices changes in a jiffy once added to your cart and when you are about to checkout...

Technically it shouldn't be possible as usb C connector is supposed to be identical regarding data transfer speeds regardless of orientation. Also, how can one possibly differentiate between orientations of a cable having type C port at both ends anyway.
Yes, technically it should not. I remember marked the ends of cable with permanent marker - which side goes into SSD and in what orientation. I haven't used that in months though.

All NVMe heat up & thermal throttling is supposed to be temporary. It shouldn't leave any "permanent throttle" which require a firmware flash to reset.
It is neither thermal throttling or cache utilisation when it drops to such low speeds though those are the cases where speed would be impacted if everything worked fine.

The speed drop after a few cycles points more to how the device is designed or calibrated because I used firmware from a lot of different vendors for the same chipset and the result would be the same.
Yes, technically it should not but it is what it is. I remember marked the ends of cable with permanent marker - which side goes into SSD and in what orientation. I haven't used that in months though.
Had the same issue with the supplied cable as well. It would provide full speed on only one end and one orientation. The cheap cables are not up to spec.

Yes, technically it should not. I remember marked the ends of cable with permanent marker - which side goes into SSD and in what orientation. I haven't used that in months though.

Had the same issue with the supplied cable as well. It would provide full speed on only one end and one orientation. The cheap cables are not up to spec.
Will ask friend to check but he doesn't have any spare NVMe now so will take some time.

Back