PC Peripherals Fortron Source PSUs in India!!!! TE, make it happen!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSP-Alan Lin

Disciple
Jul 14, 2005
It's great to have your short stop-by.
Next time, when visiting Taiwan, call me.
If my memory serves, FSP550-60PLN will have 8-pin connector for CPU, and another addtional 4pin power connector that is the same as that for P4 connector. This P4 power connector can be used to plug to DFI 4pin socket for the processor. But, I have to check.

JediMaster said:
Hi Alan

Nice to see you stop by here ! Been in Taipei once on a stop-over from LA-Honolulu-Tokyo-Singapore - nice greenish mountainous view from air :) !

OK ! just a quick one on the FSP550-PLN EPS12V psu. This one comes with a 8-pin ATX12V connector I assume. The DFI motherboard, in particular, has provision for a 4-pin slot only. Is it possible to fit the 8-pin into the 4-pin socket neatly with a 4-pin overhang ?

Thanks again for your interest and response !

FSP-Alan Lin

Disciple
Jul 14, 2005
Well, thanks for your advice. I think it's my basic attitude.
Alan

Ragin_Ice said:
Hey Alan , am mighty impressed ! . You treat your customers with great respect no matter how important they are to you business wise . Thank you and best of luck in India.

FSP-Alan Lin

Disciple
Jul 14, 2005
Thank you. I think you will have to save money. Then, you will have one in the near future too. Just check with Sunny if he can arrange one spare for you in the group buy this time.
Alan
Nikhil said:
WOW!!!

This sort of a response has almost convinced me to buy FSP... But no cash :cry: :cry: :( :(

NExt time, I may.....

But nice work Alan.... keep it up..... nice to see someone taking such an interest.....

Your company will prosper with people like you and you deserve a raise..... :hap2::hap2:

deejay

Skilled
Feb 9, 2005
FSP-Alan Lin said:
Hi, this is Alan Lin from FSP GROUP headquarters, Taiwan http://www.fsp-group.com.tw I registered in this forum becasue I discover that many friends like you in India have strong need for good and correct power supply for your overclocing professional system.

Regarding the issue, of heavy duty input filter for Indian local poor power qualtity, can you explain more detail? Is the quality of power system in India fluctuating frequently and much beyond out power supply's input range and specification?

Please advise.
Hi Alan,
Firstly i ordered the fortron groups psu (3 units , all for my own use) without checking the details as i know the quality of your products.
about the input filteration, let me put it this way the quality of power in about 95% of our country is very "Dirty".

Brownouts and Surges are the norms. most of our industrial units and sub-stations do not have adequate or appropiate power factor correction capacitors and since our electric grid is interconnected the input mains power is extremely "jerky". sagging or brownout is more prevalent then over-Voltage. voltage droping to 200V AC or less is very common for extended period of time.

Not only the voltage varies a lot but the frequency (rated 50 Hz) varies a lot too.
Also most of us use our m/c's at an ambient average temp of 35C to 38C. with high humidity to make the matters worse. and many of the users do not have proper "earthing / grounding" of the mains power lines.
NB: the power position in cities like Banglore, Delhi, Chennai, Pune etc... is comparitively and relatively good. i am based in Mumbai where the power position is world class. but the vast majority of our people live in semi-urban and rural areas where lies the future world market for pc hardware. (just like in China).
Hence the quality of the X2 rated input filter caps, and the coils, surge supressors should be extra heavy duty for Indian sub continent. regulation and post regulation components you guys are the best judge and am sure you would be using the top rated parts as the name and reputation you have earned proves that.
The reason i am posting this long post is that we need good quality psu's in our country, especially for fast rising enthusiast community. We do not want you to be just satisfied by these small , sample orders. but we want you to be a bigplayer in the main stream indian market. How you achieve that is ur co's business policy but you should not ignore a market potentially 2~3 times bigger than Europe.

SunnyBoi

Branch Manager
Staff member
Patron
Jan 31, 2005
Bangalore
Wow Alan.....keep it up :D

I have already reached my expected target of 10 PSUs. I just want the numbers to grow so that everyone in TE has a good powersupply with them :D

Apex

Skilled
Jan 28, 2005
India
www.sumitsphere.com
Hi Alan,

thanx for registering here. its good to see that you're taking so much interest. i'm sure you all can do something for all the hardware enthusiasts here who need quality PSUs. wish you all the best.

SunMysore said:
I have already reached my expected target of 10 PSUs. I just want the numbers to grow so that everyone in TE has a good powersupply with them
how i wish i cud buy one of those but then, short of cash :p
how abt a free sample this way ;)

SunnyBoi

Branch Manager
Staff member
Patron
Jan 31, 2005
Bangalore
TechHead confirmed an AX500-A for himself.

So, here's the list :

AX500-A

1. Chaos

2. Headshot

3. QuadMaster

4. Switch

5. Deejay

6. Deejay

7. TechHead

FSP550-60PLN

1. JediMaster

2. Deejay

3. Sunny

4.Zhopudey

I am now attaching the specs of AX500-A and FSP550-60PLN which was sent to my mail ID by Alan. It will definetly clear all your doubts about the PSU.

@Jedi : The 550W has a separate 8pin and 4pin connectors..nothing to worry about :)

umm..out of attachment space :( will make sure it is uploaded soon...

Attachments

• AX500-A Specs.zip
    551.4 KB · Views: 120
  • FSP550-60PLN Specs.zip
    627.3 KB · Views: 146

FSP-Alan Lin

Disciple
Jul 14, 2005
I checked, and the 4pin CPU processor is only optoinal. In standard, 8pin only will be equpped with the power supply without 4pin additional. it depends on requirement.

becasue the same model name FSP550-60PN has many part numbers.

And, I checked there are many stocks in our China factory--this part number is with 4pin power connector for CPU. so don't worry.

maybe, you can persuade all your friends to buy FSP550-60PLN in stead of AX500-A?

it's more economic.

the FSP550-60PLN is EPS12V spec, dedicated for dual processor workstation, that's why 8pin connector is equipped

For EPS12V Power supply design guide, please go to Intel SSI website: http://www.ssiforum.org/Power Supplies/EPS12V Spec 2_8.pdf

The following is a comparison table

Model AX500-A
Input range
230Vrms+/- 10%
115Vrms+/-10%
PFC Passive PFC
Fan sleeve bearing
FF ATX12V 2.0
Watts 460W
System Uni-CPU
+12V1 15A
+12V2 16A
+3.3V 30A
+5V 28A
-5V N/A
-12V 0.5A
+5Vsb 2A
Fan size 12CM
Cable Harness
24pin M/B *1nos
4pin CPU *1nos
SATA *1nos
IDE HDD *4nos
Floppy *1nos

Model FSP550-60PLN
part number 9PA5500202
Input range Full range
90~135Vac
180~265Vac
PFC Active PFC
Fan ball bearing
FF EPS12V
Watts 550W
System dual CPU
+12V1 18A
+12V2 18A
+3.3V 27A
+5V 29A
-5V 0.3A
-12V 0.8A
+5Vsb 2A
Fan size 8CM
Cable Harness
24pin M/B *1nos
8pin CPU *1nos
AUX *1nos
4pin CPU *1nos
SATA *2nos
IDE HDD *5nos
Floppy *1nos

Alan

FSP-Alan Lin said:
It's great to have your short stop-by.
Next time, when visiting Taiwan, call me.
If my memory serves, FSP550-60PLN will have 8-pin connector for CPU, and another addtional 4pin power connector that is the same as that for P4 connector. This P4 power connector can be used to plug to DFI 4pin socket for the processor. But, I have to check.

zhopudey

Skilled
May 14, 2005
What will be the cost for ax500-a and fsfp550? If the diff is not much, then I could go for the 550.

SunnyBoi

Branch Manager
Staff member
Patron
Jan 31, 2005
Bangalore
it will be approx 85$ for the AX500-A, and 105-110$ for the FSP550W....

i too feel that FSP550W is a better choice. It has active PFC, and 18A on both 12V rails :O and has 2 SATA native connectors and one PCI-E connector

PS : Alan told me AX500 has sleeve bearingg fans and the FSP550 has ball bearing fans......thats a better point too...

JediMaster

Disciple
Mar 17, 2005
FSP-Alan Lin said:
I checked, and the 4pin CPU processor is only optoinal. In standard, 8pin only will be equpped with the power supply without 4pin additional. it depends on requirement.

becasue the same model name FSP550-60PN has many part numbers.

And, I checked there are many stocks in our China factory--this part number is with 4pin power connector for CPU. so don't worry.

maybe, you can persuade all your friends to buy FSP550-60PLN in stead of AX500-A?

it's more economic.

the FSP550-60PLN is EPS12V spec, dedicated for dual processor workstation, that's why 8pin connector is equipped

For EPS12V Power supply design guide, please go to Intel SSI website: http://www.ssiforum.org/Power Supplies/EPS12V Spec 2_8.pdf

Alan
Hi Alan,

Muchos Gracias for that quick research !

I checked the wire-drawings of the FSP550-PLN psu at your website before I posted yesterday. It appeared to me that the 4-pin connector in that drawing is not (com,com,12V,12V) which is what is usually needed for ordinary motherboards. The 8-pin connector does provide (com,com,com,com,12,12,12,12) which could be used to plug into the 4-pin slot into the motherboard. The catch in doing that, in particular with the DFI nf4 motherboards, is that there is very little clearance on the left and right sides if the 8-pin has to slotted in the horizontal orientation. Vertical orientation may be possible. Or, alternatively, splicing the 8-pin connector is also possible.

In any case, as you suggested, if there is an off-the-shelf FSP550 configuration that has the required 4-pin connector that will make things very easy for us. I've been interested in the FSP550 only because it has better AMPs on the 12V rails quite suited for overclocking. And it appears that there are other benefits too - such as ball bearings etc - as pointed to by Sunny.

Thanks very much again !

Quad Master

Skilled
Apr 17, 2005
Mumbai, IN
The 550W has a Active PFC & 460W has a Passive PFC.

I am now in a dual mind state 460 or 550
Found out whats this Active & Passive after a bit of googling found this.

POWER FACTOR CORRECTION

Increasingly, switched mode power supplies (SMPS) are designed with an active power factor correction (PFC) input stage. This is mainly to meet new regulations aimed at restricting the harmonic content of the load current drawn from power lines. Both users and power companies benefit from PFC, as does the environment.

Power Factor Correction (PFC) can be defined as the reduction of the harmonic content, and/or the aligning of the phase angle of incoming current so that it is in phase with the line voltage. Mathematically, Power Factor (PF) is equal to Real Power divided by Apparent Power. The basic concept is to make the input look like a pure resistor. Resistors have a power factor of 1 (unity). This allows the power distribution system to operate at maximum efficiency, which reduces energy consumption.

Non-PFC power supplies use a capacitive filter at the AC input. This results in rectification of the AC line, causes high peak currents at the crests of the AC voltage. These peak currents lead to excessive voltage drops in the wiring and imbalance problems in the three-phase power delivery system. The full energy potential of the AC line is not utilized. Nonlinear peak currents also distort output voltage and create harmonics. There is an international standard for controlling harmonics (IEC100-3-2) and PFC is mandatory for home appliances consuming 70W or more power in EU nations as of January, 2001.

PFC circuits are classified into two types: active and passive.

Passive PFC uses passive elements such as a ferrite core inductor on the input source to create a countering reactance. While easily applied to the existing power circuitry without much modification, the power factor is low (60 - 80%), the AC input must be chosen (115VAC / 230VAC), and the harmonics produced from the difference between the capacitance and the inductance are hard to control. Significant electromagnetic noise can result.

Active PFC uses switching regulator technology with active elements such as IC, FET and diodes, to create a PFC circuit This circuit has a theoretical power factor of over 95%, reduces total harmonics noticeably, and automatically adjusts for AC input voltage. However, it requires a complex EMI filter and an input source circuit, and is more costly to build.

The benefits of high PF for the user comes from the reduced AC current drawn by high PF PSUs, not in any savings from electricity bills, except in the case of commercial utility users who do pay for V(oltage) x A(mperes). There are two broad consequences:

Less stress on the AC electrical wiring: The lower current drawn by a high PF power supply means that there is less stress on the electrical wiring of the building. This can be a big plus in the case of older building with lower capacity AC wiring. It is certainly easy to see the benefits in a enterprise setting where dozens or hundreds of PCs are drawing power. If the total current load from the IT department could be reduced by 30% or more, this would be very signficant in direct electricity savings, reduced airconditioning cost, and possible avoidance of building AC re-wiring.

Lower UPS costs: Lower current draw also means that smaller capacity Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) units can be used. As UPS units are priced in direct proportion to their current capacity (VA), a PF of 0.98 versus one of 0.6 can traslate into a 40% reduction in purchase cost. Again, in an enterprise setting with hundreds or thousands of PCs, the savings can be very significant.

Source:- http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page5.html

More Articles
- http://www.dansdata.com/gz028.htm
- http://powerelectronics.com/mag/power_boosting_power_supply/

Also wanted to confirm that will the 550W work without any probs with any NF4 Mobo Since its a Server PSU.

I also wanted will the 550W PSU have the 2x2 Pin which is used to power the ASUS A8N-E.
Apart from the 24Pin this is also used to power the ASUS A8N-E.

FSP-Alan Lin

Disciple
Jul 14, 2005
SunMysore said:
it will be approx 85$ for the AX500-A, and 105-110$ for the FSP550W....

i too feel that FSP550W is a better choice. It has active PFC, and 18A on both 12V rails :O and has 2 SATA native connectors and one PCI-E connector

PS : Alan told me AX500 has sleeve bearingg fans and the FSP550 has ball bearing fans......thats a better point too...

The following is a comparison table
Model AX500-A
Input range
230Vrms+/- 10%
115Vrms+/-10%
PFC Passive PFC
Fan sleeve bearing
FF ATX12V 2.0
Watts 460W
System Uni-CPU
+12V1 15A
+12V2 16A
+3.3V 30A
+5V 28A
-5V N/A
-12V 0.5A
+5Vsb 2A
Fan size 12CM
Cable Harness
24pin M/B *1nos
4pin CPU *1nos
SATA *1nos
IDE HDD *4nos
Floppy *1nos

Model FSP550-60PLN
part number 9PA5500202
Input range Full range
90~135Vac
180~265Vac
PFC Active PFC
Fan ball bearing
FF EPS12V
Watts 550W
System dual CPU
+12V1 18A
+12V2 18A
+3.3V 27A
+5V 29A
-5V 0.3A
-12V 0.8A
+5Vsb 2A
Fan size 8CM
Cable Harness
24pin M/B *1nos
8pin CPU *1nos
AUX *1nos
4pin CPU *1nos
SATA *2nos
IDE HDD *5nos
Floppy *1nos

Please come back to me for all your final decision on buying which power supply. And, we will have to prepare a lot of administrative procedures, before you get the products. Please conclude this request on Monday July-18-2005.

As I informed, this is special support for friends from Bangalore-IT.COM. Normally, it will be difficult to make the products available to India from Taiwan when demand is less and no local distributor out there.
I am sorry for this. But, please make your statistical demand of which type of power supply you need.

Alan
FSP GROUP

Quad Master

Skilled
Apr 17, 2005
Mumbai, IN
Hi Alan
There seems to be a mistake here
Model AX500-A
SATA *1nos
IDE HDD *1nos
Are there only 1 Sata & 1 IDE Connector for the 460W

Also is the 550W having only a Single 80mm fan at the back.

No 120mm fan to at the bottom like the 460W one.

FSP-Alan Lin

Disciple
Jul 14, 2005
Hi, Quad Master,

The drawing of FSP550-60PLN published on FSP GROUP website is standard part number 9PA5500200, while I make available is 9PA5500202 that has this four pin for CPU [COM, COM, +12V, +12V].
Please check my comparison table just posted.

Alan

FSP-Alan Lin

Disciple
Jul 14, 2005
Sorry, it's typing error.
there are four IDE connector for the 460W.
Yes, Only one single fan 80mm fan ath the back, without 120mm fan at the bottom.

Alan

Quad Master said:
Hi Alan
There seems to be a mistake here

Are there only 1 Sata & 1 IDE Connector for the 460W

Also is the 550W having only a Single 80mm fan at the back.

No 120mm fan to at the bottom like the 460W one.

Status
Not open for further replies.