Front loading or top loading washing machine?

Top loader.
And they want semi-auto due to some bad exp. with fully auto earlier.
Still will press them for a full auto.
+1 here too. Although I want to go for a FL, my maternal uncle is hell bent on semi-auto TL. So given the budget constraints and my period of stay, I would need some suggestions on a good TL. I have shortlisted LG but don't know what to look for in a good TL.
While I want to for for a full auto, my uncle still uses his Videocon semi auto 7.5 kgs. Since he will be using the machine after I leave, so I want him to be friendly.
His main priority is adding clothes when the machine is running (unlike in FL, you cannot) since he keeps on forgetting. Another convenience is that you have to bend less(already above 60) compared to a FL.

I have shortlisted LG but don't know what to look for in a good TL.
Wash action. When you put clothes in the TL they should move around. Not stay static. If they move they will get cleaned better.

But instead, i see people filling the machine almost to the brim. So nothing is moving during the wash cycle. There is no wash action. How much cleaning can you then expect when there is hardly any agitation and second, you are not even using warm water?

Not very good and if clothes are stained the only recourse will be a long soak. No way are you getting much of those stains removed otherwise.

His main priority is adding clothes when the machine is running (unlike in FL, you cannot) since he keeps on forgetting. Another convenience is that you have to bend less(already above 60) compared to a FL.
That is how people end up overloading the machine.

From what i can tell whether Sammy or LG in the same price range have similar wash action. Turbo drum means impeller and drum can move in opposite directions. More expensive will be fancier versions of the same until you arrive at jetwash which is the next range up. To go further LG has a new feature that combines turbo drum, jet spray and jet wave but this model is not yet released in India. Low end is turbo drum only, there is there jet spray on top and nothing more. Machines get bigger after that.

You must not fill them more than halfway. That is full for a TL. Then let the machine fill it and watch the wash action. if things are moving around as I showed in a video several pages ago you are good. If you can rig up a solar water heater then you will be getting even better washing.

The problem is this requires a bigger machine equals more cost and that is the end of the story. So when people move to a FL they are surprised the cleaning is better. See how the clothes get thrown around in a FL. That is how hand washing works. If you then do warm washes you are using the detergent the way it was designed.

Take this toploader

Turbo drum means impeller and drum can move in opposite directions. Jetwash is the next range up which @bhp91 has

See this review, that i think explains very well how to use the machine but he keeps loading up the machine and there are a few seconds you can see no movement of the clothes. No wash action. In fact, i can find no videos that show wash action on youtube with any of the top loaders sold in India. His clothes don't look that dirty so yeah, they come out smelling fresh and he and his family are happy.

Last edited:
@blr_p thanks for the tips. I do follow mostly all, except for the hot water coz his machine doesn't have the provision, or needs to be done through another pipe. Can you suggest some models for a full auto TL with a budget upto 20k? My knowledge is very much limited to FL. While my location does have abundance of hot water during summers, I still cannot go for a solar based machine given I will be staying on rental basis. Hence, I need a provision for hot water in machine itself.
The machine will mostly be used for a single person, while very occasionally clothes for two persons may come in.

Can you suggest some models for a full auto TL with a budget upto 20k? My knowledge is very much limited to FL.
Check the size of this tub and compare it with this. The next size up in terms of the drum is 9kg

Jetspray+ model

While my location does have abundance of hot water during summers, I still cannot go for a solar based machine given I will be staying on rental basis. Hence, I need a provision for hot water in machine itself.
Running costs will be high given the volume of water. You better give it a miss. At this budget, I doubt you will find anything with a heater.

With water between 20-30 degrees C, liquid detergent dissolves better but it is an open question of how well it washes out compared to powder.

Stick to Surf and teach him how to clean the tub as explained in the cleaning thread. He's going to have to do that at least every 3 months.

Last edited:
The previous model is a 3-motion with smart inverter. It is belt driven. To get better wash action requires direct drive. You get the full 6 motion movements. The machine I linked to earlier to demonstrate wash action from the US is a direct drive model. And to get that wash action it must not be loaded more than half.

LG's top loaders that have direct drive only start with 9kg models. These have 75 litre tubs

Prices for these machines are going to be at par with front loaders so only for those that insist on top loaders.

Without steam

With steam

This one has a stainless steel pulsator :woot:

How steam works

Says 40 degrees for 'tough stain cleaning', that is the recommended temperature to wash with a front loader for normal stains. Tough stains require either pre-treating or soaking. Also, my LG FL from 2015 has the six-motion feature. It's standard on entry-level LG front loaders.

Still no sign of Turbo wash 3D for top loaders. Maybe after a few more months.

Samsung offers a 7kg model with a heater for around 23k. It's got wifi too.

Can't find this model on amazon or FK. Maybe it's quite new. What is curious is I cannot find the user manual for this model on Samsung's website (!)

This machine has 'Bubblestorm' which means it aerates the water with the detergent for better mixing and 'Dual Storm' which twists and rubs so it's like a 2-motion machine. Wash action is going to be similar to LG's with 3 motion in the lower 20k range which is to say average but you have a heater. There is a caveat here,

Available when washing laundry loads up to 2kg.** Based on the Intertek test report for the 60°C sanitize wash
Sanitise is only for small loads which I'm guessing is the 'Hygiene steam' option. Looking at the console that is the only cycle you can use steam i think. There is no steam for the other cycles above.

Can't really say more without looking at the manual. I see no temperature settings in the images.

Attachments

• Smart-Inveter-3 motion punch.jpg
    Smart-Inveter-3 motion punch.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 6 motion with Direct Drive.jpg
    6 motion with Direct Drive.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 53
  • bubble storm dual storm.jpg
    bubble storm dual storm.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 51
  • 7kg WA70BG4582BY with heater console.jpg
    7kg WA70BG4582BY with heater console.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Ok so today I walked in to Chroma/ Reliance to get a practical idea on brands.

Top Load 6.5kg.

Was impressed with LG efatures.

Even more impressed with IFB as,
It offers:

4yr full machine warranty
10yr motor warranty
10yr spare parts support

Heater, steamer facility.
Aqua energy water softener feature so can use machine freely in even boring/bore-well water.

Wife inclined towards LG but also confused on features of IFB.
Thing is, off late every new society is coming with bore-well water alternatives to tackle crisis. So looking at that aspects IFB wins here. + it offers heater facility too.

@blr_p

Top Load 6.5kg.

Model# with link ?

Already pointed out the LG with direct drive will give you the best wash quality. 9kg starting.
It offers:

10yr motor warranty
10yr spare parts support

Aqua energy water softener feature so can use machine freely in even boring/bore-well water.

Model number with a link to the product on IFB's site
Thing is, off late every new society is coming with bore-well water alternatives to tackle crisis. So looking at that aspects IFB wins here. + it offers heater facility too.

@blr_p
You will have to look at water softening if it's coming from the borewell. Wash quality with hard water is going to be affected no matter how good the machine is.

What is the hardness going to be like? Cannot say anything unless you have a hardness reading. Not TDS. You have to measure it with that kit linked above or similar

Model# with link ?

Already pointed out the LG with direct drive will give you the best wash quality. 9kg starting.

Model number with a link to the product on IFB's site

You will have to look at water softening if it's coming from the borewell. Wash quality with hard water is going to be affected no matter how good the machine is.

What is the hardness going to be like? Cannot say anything unless you have a hardness reading. Not TDS. You have to measure it with that kit linked above or similar

Top Load 6.5kg.

It offers:

10yr motor warranty
10yr spare parts support

@blr_p
I have an old ifb machine, 12 years old now. Changed the drum a couple of weeks back for 4k. The "technican" claimed the pcb would continue to melt the protective coating and thus would need replacement shortly, I disagreed and it stopped melting. As the pcb is just a bunch of discrete through the hole components and the controller IC, I'll just change out the components to be on the safe side for a few hundred bucks and an hour of my time. Otherwise I'm happy with IFB as they have a factory here in Goa we get decent service, I believe LG is supposed to be good in that respect too. My advice though is to avoid anything with digital control panels.

Any reason why you're going with Samsung? Almost everyone, both online and offline, has recommended against buying them.
No specific reason for samsung brand. The model I mentioned is inverter motor with 3+12 years warranty. I also saw an IFB top load today in 6.5 and 7 kg with price difference of just 1k. Now confused again in LG, IFB Samsung. Also saw some Whirlpool models but not sure about them.

Link to Samsung machine: Limited-time deal: Samsung 6.5 Kg 5 Star Inverter Fully-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine (WA65T4262GG/TL, Light Grey, Wobble technology) https://amzn.eu/d/9ejlZ2f
Link does not work
Limited-time deal: Samsung 6.5 Kg 5 Star Inverter Fully-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine (WA65T4262GG/TL, Light Grey, Wobble technology) https://amzn.eu/d/9ejlZ2f
Any reason why you're going with Samsung? Almost everyone, both online and offline, has recommended against buying them.
Any specific reason to avoid Samsung?

Last edited:
I have an old ifb machine, 12 years old now. Changed the drum a couple of weeks back for 4k. The "technican" claimed the pcb would continue to melt the protective coating and thus would need replacement shortly, I disagreed and it stopped melting. As the pcb is just a bunch of discrete through the hole components and the controller IC, I'll just change out the components to be on the safe side for a few hundred bucks and an hour of my time. Otherwise I'm happy with IFB as they have a factory here in Goa we get decent service, I believe LG is supposed to be good in that respect too. My advice though is to avoid anything with digital control panels.
Good to know.
In 12 years how nay times you changed the drum or any other component?
And for the pcb thing, did it start recently or how?
And on digital control panels, these days everythings digital way and didnt found any washing machine in pure analog panel except for one semi-auto ones.

Link to Samsung machine: Limited-time deal: Samsung 6.5 Kg 5 Star Inverter Fully-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine (WA65T4262GG/TL, Light Grey, Wobble technology) https://amzn.eu/d/9ejlZ2f
If you are going to exchange your old machine then do check the exchange price. It's not same on every listing.

I was able to exchange my almost fully broken piece of crap Videocon washing machine for 2.7k. They only test spin cycle for a minute without water or any load. If that works, they assume your machine is in working condition.

I have an old ifb machine, 12 years old now.
Is that a front loader? what's the model#
Changed the drum a couple of weeks back for 4k. The "technican" claimed the pcb would continue to melt the protective coating and thus would need replacement shortly, I disagreed and it stopped melting. As the pcb is just a bunch of discrete through the hole components and the controller IC, I'll just change out the components to be on the safe side for a few hundred bucks and an hour of my time. Otherwise I'm happy with IFB as they have a factory here in Goa we get decent service, I believe LG is supposed to be good in that respect too.
Changing out components is much harder these days as the PCB is covered with epoxy to prevent rusting and be more reliable. Any component goes requires the entire PCB to be changed. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing as humidity levels are much higher in India than elsewhere.

My advice though is to avoid anything with digital control panels.
Touchpanels you mean? those are everywhere with top loaders these days.

@blr_p you comments.

Also, for LG suggest best options in 6.5kg TL. Again, read few -ve reviews on amazon for LG but its same for IFB too. So kinda confused.

Good to know.
In 12 years how nay times you changed the drum or any other component?
And for the pcb thing, did it start recently or how?
And on digital control panels, these days everythings digital way and didnt found any washing machine in pure analog panel except for one semi-auto ones.
Just changed the drum once, no other repairs at all.

Can someone please help quickly to select the best from the below list? I have to order now as the offers and discounts will most probably reduce from tomorrow
Lg: https://www.amazon.in/LG-Inverter-Fully-Automatic-Loading-T65SKSF4Z/dp/B084LF24Z8

Samsung: https://dl.flipkart.com/s/!0Qke1NNNN

Whirlpool:
It's hard to decide. All products have plenty of reviews on Amazon. You should search things that are important to you in the reviews. On amazon you can search through reviews.

Back