Front loading or top loading washing machine?

Just to ask and clarify my doubt.....the spin mode as i have seen in top loads is not dry mode right and is there same spin mode in front load also or not? Cause i will be looking for non dryer front load washing machine this sale season.
If you mean Spin only mode then its there in some front load machines (check the manual) and as a hidden trick on my LG

This will not completely dry the clothes. So like your top loader.

Only a washer/dryer (2 in 1) has this ability. You can't miss it because they cost more than a washer only.

Last edited:
Dryers blow hot air while spinning the drum slowly. Normal washing machines spin at high speeds to remove most of the water from clothes (using centrifugal force).

If you mean Spin only mode then its there in some front load machines (check the manual) and as a hidden trick on my LG

This will not completely dry the clothes. So like your top loader.

Only a washer/dryer (2 in 1) has this ability. You can't miss it because they cost more than a washer only.
Need spin only mode, Rest clothes can dry outside.
Don't need a proper dryer

This seems like a solid machine overall but that full dryer mode takes 9+ hours, LoL! Overnight job it seems. Otherwise the wash modes and 80% normal dryer looks good. The wash options are all customizable as well. I'm quite liking this.
Wash + Dry mode more or less takes similar time on combo machines, also the wash load limit is less if you run in this mode.

You can choose customised dryer run, when run separately after a wash mode. We usually use the low heat drying mode that's easier on clothes and takes 2.5 hrs for the cycle.

LG's biggest mechanical advantage over competition is their direct drive motor.
Just to ask and clarify my doubt.....the spin mode as i have seen in top loads is not dry mode right and is there same spin mode in front load also or not? Cause i will be looking for non dryer front load washing machine this sale season.
Spin mode used centrifugal force to dry the clothes. Tumble dryer uses hot air to dry clothes.

Problem I have run into is this:

All most all the washing machines from Samsung are being sold by a seller on Amazon called "Dawntech Electronics Private Limited". This seller, even though the delivery is Amazon/ Prime Fulfilled, has abhorring ratings as can be seen here:

Dawntech Electronics Reviews - Amazon

It's seriously making me turn to Flipkart (assured) for ordering the machine. Those ratings of the above seller as well no technicians turning up for installation is scary and risky.

If you have a dryer, it's better to separate the types of clothes for drying. Make the first run with polyester/ nylon or mixed type clothes where the %tage of cotton is less than 40%. These types of fabrics dry in less than 30 minutes. Cotton is heavier and takes time to dry so put it in round two. (Disclaimer: This is how we used to do when we had a dryer, now we don't have one. Don't ask why.)

If you have a dryer, it's better to separate the types of clothes for drying. Make the first run with polyester/ nylon or mixed type clothes where the %tage of cotton is less than 40%. These types of fabrics dry in less than 30 minutes. Cotton is heavier and takes time to dry so put it in round two. (Disclaimer: This is how we used to do when we had a dryer, now we don't have one. Don't ask why.)

Now that you said not to ask... I must ask... WHY, oh why don't you have a dryer! Hehe...

I'm still deciding and readin/ watching reviews on these two machines:

Samsung 9 kg - WW90T4040CB1TL

Samsung 9 kg, 5 Star, Eco Bubble Technology, AI Control , Wi-Fi (WW90T504DAN1TL)

I'll decide by tomorrow on one and pull the trigger. Must get it setup by next week.

I'm liking the one in the 2nd link more:

Samsung Washer Dryer Washing Machine How To Use Guide (Video)

Samsung AI Smart Things Washing Machine Setup (Video)

Last edited:
Looking to buy a Front Load Washing machine. Kind of finalized the LG 11 KG AI DD one. Any feedback on this? I find LG to be safer bet with respect to longevity, technology, service and spare availability.
Why 11kg instead of 9kg?

The next bump in drum size is with 12kg.

So you're not getting a bigger machine with 11kg over a 9kg model. Just a little more powerful motor whose benefit isn't clear to me over the one that comes in a 9kg

They claim the drum size is bigger. I'll believe that when i see some drum measurements of diameter & depth of this 11kg over a 9kg of similar external depth.

Notice they don't provide that info in their specs. You have to measure it yourself.

Last edited:
Why 11kg instead of 9kg?

The next bump in drum size is with 12kg.

So you're not getting a bigger machine with 11kg over a 9kg model. Just a little more powerful motor whose benefit isn't clear to me over the one that comes in a 9kg

They claim the drum size is bigger. I'll believe that when i see some drum measurements of diameter & depth of this 11kg over a 9kg of similar external depth.

Notice they don't provide that info in their specs. You have to measure it yourself.
Weekend wash cycles only and so load is higher plus bedsheets, duvets and related covers also to be washed every weekend. So 7-8 KG during this cycle is like 70% of the 11KG capacity which would not result in overloading the machine. From my search, not able to find a 12KG one and the next capacity is a 13KG one but that is a Washer-Dryer combo from LG. So I though 11KG would be a best fit. Also, the depth of 9KG is 475mm and the depth of 11KG is 565mm so I was assuming 11KG would be a bigger drum than 9KG one.
Weekend wash cycles only and so load is higher plus bedsheets, duvets and related covers also to be washed every weekend. So 7-8 KG during this cycle is like 70% of the 11KG capacity which would not result in overloading the machine. From my search, not able to find a 12KG one and the next capacity is a 13KG one but that is a Washer-Dryer combo from LG. So I though 11KG would be a best fit. Also, the depth of 9KG is 475mm and the depth of 11KG is 565mm so I was assuming 11KG would be a bigger drum than 9KG one.
LG 11.png
LG 9.png

These I got from LG India website. Also from LG UAE and other website, I can see that the water consumption is 54L for 9KG and 77L for 11KG. So I assume the drum size should be bigger for this in India based on these. In comparison, the Bosch 9KG machine consumes 68L water capacity so this is a bigger drum size compared to the LG 9KG one.

The drum size for same LG 9KG in the UAE version is bigger compared to the one in India. So maybe from 2024 version onwards, the 11KG versions have bigger drum size. Just based on spec sheets though since I have not measured one with tape actually.

Last edited:
Weekend wash cycles only and so load is higher plus bedsheets, duvets and related covers also to be washed every weekend. So 7-8 KG during this cycle is like 70% of the 11KG capacity which would not result in overloading the machine.
Yes it would if the clothes can't move around and there is no difference in drum volume. See this post

I have said many times that the weight classifications used for these machines are next to useless.

70% of 8kg is 5.6kg. Only way you could get that weight is if they are all denim. If they are not then at 4kg you will be at the limit. Ask me how I know.

Overloading is best gauged by volume not weight which is meaningless to a user but helps the seller.

In the US machines are rated by volume. Cubic foot which neatly does away with any confusion as you could fill a box of known volume with your laundry and immediately know whether or not the stated machine volume is right or not for your requirement.
From my search, not able to find a 12KG one and the next capacity is a 13KG one but that is a Washer-Dryer combo from LG. So I though 11KG would be a best fit. Also, the depth of 9KG is 475mm and the depth of 11KG is 565mm so I was assuming 11KG would be a bigger drum than 9KG one.
That's the confusing part. Some higher end 9kg's of late have a wider diameter to compensate for the shorter depth resulting in a similar volume as a 9kg of 55cm depth but smaller diameter these days.

LG are claiming the 11kg offers the same wider diameter but with a longer depth which should mean more volume.

But this needs to be confirmed with actual measurements in the shop.
These I got from LG India website. Also from LG UAE and other website, I can see that the water consumption is 54L for 9KG and 77L for 11KG. So I assume the drum size should be bigger for this in India based on these. In comparison, the Bosch 9KG machine consumes 68L water capacity so this is a bigger drum size compared to the LG 9KG one.
Why assume with your money? Get a confirmation.

There is no guarantee machines in one country will match in terms of size that of another. And the model numbers are all different and region specific.
The drum size for same LG 9KG in the UAE version is bigger compared to the one in India.
Post the link of that uae machine.
So maybe from 2024 version onwards, the 11KG versions have bigger drum size. Just based on spec sheets though since I have not measured one with tape actually.
And when will you be able to measure with a tape. Any shops nearby with these machines in stock?

If this is your first front loader then going to a shop and seeing and measuring is the best way. Do not be lazy and rely on what the sales people say. They have zero liability if they get anything wrong and will say anything to get a sale.

Last edited:
@whencut86 measure the drum dimensions yourself as suggested by @blr_p . I was considering that 11kg model as I wanted to wash big blankets at home instead of sending them for drycleaning. I found out that the 11kg model wouldn't accomodate even a single blanket. Bigger models consume more water even for small loads, so I didn't look into next weight class just to wash few blankets occasionally.

It's possible that LG has updated their 2024 lineup and what you are seeing on UAE websites is valid for Indian models too. But you shouldn't blindly rely on online data when it comes to India. I bought a costlier version of an AC because I wanted few extra features. Even after writing to the brand and conforming with their sale rep, the model I received didn't have those features.

That's the confusing part. Some higher end 9kg's of late have a wider diameter to compensate for the shorter depth resulting in a similar volume as a 9kg of 55cm depth but smaller diameter these days.

LG are claiming the 11kg offers the same wider diameter but with a longer depth which should mean more volume.

But this needs to be confirmed with actual measurements in the shop.

Why assume with your money? Get a confirmation.

There is no guarantee machines in one country will match in terms of size that of another. And the model numbers are all different and region specific.

Post the link of that uae machine.
@whencut86 measure the drum dimensions yourself as suggested by @blr_p . I was considering that 11kg model as I wanted to wash big blankets at home instead of sending them for drycleaning. I found out that the 11kg model wouldn't accomodate even a single blanket. Bigger models consume more water even for small loads, so I didn't look into next weight class just to wash few blankets occasionally.

It's possible that LG has updated their 2024 lineup and what you are seeing on UAE websites is valid for Indian models too. But you shouldn't blindly rely on online data when it comes to India. I bought a costlier version of an AC because I wanted few extra features. Even after writing to the brand and conforming with their sale rep, the model I received didn't have those features.

This is the link for the UAE machine comparison. Went through models in these range both new and old and found some similar dimension ones with same or similar features and I assume they might be the same ones as here.

I went to the nearby LG shop and measured the depth and diameter of both 9kg and 11kg washing machines. The 9KG one has a dept of 13 inches and diameter of 19 inches. The 11KG one has a depth of 14 inches and diameter of 20 inches and so it is the larger one of the two. I think I will go with the 11KG and I am getting good deal and card offers for this one as well.

I ended up buying 2 machines...

Samsung WW90T4040CB1TL (9kg) - For Mom
Samsung WW90T504DAN1TL (9kg, Eco Bubble, AI, Wi-Fi) - For Me & my SO (Different house).

Ordered them both from Amazon (Seller was Dawntech Electronics Pvt. Ltd.) on the 2nd of September and they got delivered in good condition yesterday. Amazon delivery team was very proficient and used platform trolleys to bring the heavy machines secure and safely inside the house. No damages, do dents.

Got Samsung installation & demo calls within 2 hours of delivery. Had one machine installed yesterday evening itself and the other one today at my Mom's house. In both cases Samsung's engineers were fantastic and installed, leveled and explained the functionalities of each machine patiently. The one with AI and Wi-Fi was linked up to my home network without hiccups thankfully. There is a video tutorial on Youtube for the same machine on how to setup Wi-Fi on it and that proved very useful because it made the process even easier.

If anyone wants to watch the video to know more about the Samsung Smart Things App and how it integrates with the Machine here it is:

I'm most excited about using the Wi-Fi enabled Samsung WW90T504DAN1TL at my apartment. Linked it up with my iPad and it's a breeze to control the machine through Samsung's Smart Things App. Right of the bat I noticed less vibrations during spin when compared to my last Bosch machine. Also, this one has a plethora of wash options (I know I won't be using most of them though, LoL!) and almost every wash can be customized as regards to water temperature, number of rinse cycles, spin cycle RPM. One can also customize an independent user wash program if needed. The App is pretty solid once you link it all up and isn't half baked and glitch-y. The touch panel is responsive as expected while manually operating the machine.

Here are a few photos of the Eco-Bubble machine itself and the app screenshots:

IMG_20240904_143722.jpg

IMG_20240904_172259.jpg

Samsung Smart Things App:

Wash Type Options:

Temperature Options (Depends on type of wash):

Rinse & Spin Options (Depends on type of wash):

I still haven't tried the 100% Dry mode (since this is a Washer + Drier). If anyone has any questions regarding this machine please do ask.

The other machine... Samsung 9 kg (WW90T4040CB1TL) that I bought for Mom is a no nonsense, non-Wi-Fi, no App workhorse. You just put your clothes in, put your detergent of choice, turn the knob to choose your wash type, key in your wash options on the touch-screen (if you want or just use the preset options) and hit Start. Simple and straight forward.

I'm happy with both purchases and honestly I'm enjoying tinkering with the wash modes on the Wi-Fi machine.... honeymoon period with new electronic equipment :)

Last edited:
This is the link for the UAE machine comparison. Went through models in these range both new and old and found some similar dimension ones with same or similar features and I assume they might be the same ones as here.
Your link leads to the products page

On LG's France website they declare in the title the machine is 68 litres. How convenient.

Here's the interesting bit

They claim the 9kg is also of the same capacity. Both these machines claim to have larger drums and therefore would be of the same volume.

So the 9kg would be the cheaper buy by €100 for the same capacity

Now can we find similar in the Indian market?

The 9KG one has a dept of 13 inches and diameter of 19 inches.
~60 litres

^What is the model number of this 9kg?
The 11KG one has a depth of 14 inches and diameter of 20 inches and so it is the larger one of the two.
~72 litres. A little above what LG said.

What a difference just one inch more to either parameter makes..
I think I will go with the 11KG and I am getting good deal and card offers for this one as well.
Wait a little longer

Can you go check the volume of this model

Example of LG screwing up specs on their website

LG 9kg specs mixup.jpg

What is the correct depth for this machine :facepalm:

View attachment 206923
Clear window :happy:
People were complaining they couldn't find the start button because its so faint. I can see why but then Samsung has also provided braille on this machine as well.

Whether that's an inhouse joke or meant to be taken seriously is unclear.
If anyone has any questions regarding this machine please do ask.
Does this machine and your mothers have a load detect function with the Cottons cycle?

This means the duration of the program varies and is calculated automatically by the machine depending on the load.

Last edited:
Back