Budget 21-30k Gaming rig for 27-inch 2560x1440 monitor

If you're going to change the mobo later to Crossfire supported one the go for i5 3450+Intel H61WW,Cause you won't change the processor once you've got it so stick to that and don't get dual core CPU.For GPU stick to HD6670 it's as same HD5670,Avoid OCZ Agility 3 and go for OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD-8k,For case CM 361 local Circle case with PSU will save 3k cash which can be used later to get better case so don't get expensive case now.Hope this clears stuff.
Hi guys, I have a config within my budget for at the moment. I will replace the cabinet, buy a suitable SMPS when I buy a graphic card like HD 7850 after 6-8 months.

CPU Intel i5 - 3550 / 3.3 GHz (Quad Core) = 12800
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H USB 3.0 = 4750
RAM Gskill ripjawz 2x4GB@1600 Mhz = 3150
HDD OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD = 7200
DVD SONY DVD WRITER = 1200
Cabinet Antec NK3480 With EA 380W PSU Bronze Certification = 4450
GPU Power Color AMD HD5670 1GB DDR3 = 4100
TOTAL = 38K Including installation and hardware fixing charges.

Laptop died suddenly :( There was some problem with mother board. Its was 6yrs old anyway. The repair guy is ready to buy it for 5K. Vostro 1500.

I know I have a shitty cabinet with inbuilt PSU , but it's just for <6 months and will replace it with Cossair 400r and a 650W good PSU. I will replace the mother board when I cross fire (maybe after a year).

I took this decision because I think it's best for my budget. I can upgrade as I earn.

The dealer also gave me a cheaper config to work with the monitor. Take a look. But I think the i-5 is better than i-3 for selling and upgrading the parts as time flies by :)

CPU Intel Core i3 - 2120 / 3.3 GHz 3M Cache, 3.3 GHz ( Dual Core)
Motherboard Intel - DH61WW 16x,S,L / Vga (supports upto 8GB RAM) USB 2.0 } = 10500 (for processor and motherboard)
HDD OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD = 7200
Cabinet Antec NK3480 With EA 380W PSU Bronze Certification = 4450
GPU Power Color AMD HD5670 1GB DDR3 = 4100

What do u guys think ??

@GODMODE09, get the following --

Intel Core i5 3550
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H (this motherboard is CrossFire capable) but I would you go for the ASUS P8H77-V ~9500/- if you want to CrossFire, the former board can be sold for a better price than a H61 based solution.
(rest pretty much what you are getting now is the best under circumstances)

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I have a shitty cabinet with inbuilt PSU

The Antec EA380 - if that's what the included supply is - is probably the best entry-level supply I know (and that includes the very famous VX450). It's whisper-quiet at low loads, extremely efficient and is able to work well with moderate loads. While it cannot match the brute overload capability of the Corsair, it is more than capable of handling the rig if you do not overclock - which, thanks to Intel, you cannot. It also drops a lot of the extras like sleeved and adequate length cabling and has 'only' 80mm fan and is thus not a future-proof buy.

Do remember that the Seasonic SII 430, the Corsair VX450 and the EA380 are basically identical (all made by Seasonic on the same PCB) only the components and specifications are slightly different from model to model, with Corsair being max performance and the Antec being max silence/minimum power.

If yours is indeed a EA380 and you want to sell it, PM me first. I would love to have one more of those. I almost sold mine before I realised how wrong I was, courtesy BIKeINSTEIN

Edit: One more thing. At your resolution, your GPU will always be a bigger bottleneck than your CPU. I would advise skewing your spend for maximum gaming performance. This may mean juggling some of the components. An i3 and i7 show very little difference in actual delivered FPS at those resolutions when details are cranked up.

FWIW, my main rig is 2 overclocked HD6970s in Crossfire (920MHz) and max detail/native res, I still need more GPU power. Many games will not run well unless I bring the resolution or detail down, therefore GPU is still a limiting issue. CPU in this rig is an AMD PhenomII 970, running at 4GHz, all under a custom water loop. The CPU provides no greater FPS than a Phenom 550 that preceded it.

The games that are heavily CPU dependent will benefit from the Intel side, but for gaming an overclocked FX-4100 with a 970FX chipset board will still deliver just as well if you game at native resolution. You could put the extra money into a 7950/7970. Trust me with a bigger monitor, you need a bigger GPU. Like we say here, if you want to be with a fat chick, you better have a big-

Sorry, censored.

Guys, I have a better idea for the same budget.
I won't be buying the 27-inch monitor this month.Will be using only a 1920x1080 monitor. So I really don't need GPU.
I'll save the 5K and go for Cossair 400r and maybe 650w Antec PSU ? Cossair400r = 5800 and PSU =~5Kish . I already had 5K in my budget for that Case with inbuilt PSU.
I'll buy the monitor in a month along with HD 7850 or HD 7870.

I want to know few things before choosing PSU.

How much do I need for a single HD 7850/7870? (I will be buying this right now)
How much do I need for a single HD 7950/7970?
How much do I need for two HD 7870s in xfire?
How much do I need for two HD 7970s in xfire?

Also Cossair400r is out of stock pretty much throughout TamilNadu and FLipkart/Snapdeal. Some unknown online websites have it and sell it for ~5800Rs.
Also are they going to stop the supply? Is there an alternative as good as it?

- - - Updated - - -

The Antec EA380 - if that's what the included supply is - is probably the best entry-level supply I know (and that includes the very famous VX450). It's whisper-quiet at low loads, extremely efficient and is able to work well with moderate loads. While it cannot match the brute overload capability of the Corsair, it is more than capable of handling the rig if you do not overclock - which, thanks to Intel, you cannot. It also drops a lot of the extras like sleeved and adequate length cabling and has 'only' 80mm fan and is thus not a future-proof buy.

Do remember that the Seasonic SII 430, the Corsair VX450 and the EA380 are basically identical (all made by Seasonic on the same PCB) only the components and specifications are slightly different from model to model, with Corsair being max performance and the Antec being max silence/minimum power.

If yours is indeed a EA380 and you want to sell it, PM me first. I would love to have one more of those. I almost sold mine before I realised how wrong I was, courtesy BIKeINSTEIN

Edit: One more thing. At your resolution, your GPU will always be a bigger bottleneck than your CPU. I would advise skewing your spend for maximum gaming performance. This may mean juggling some of the components. An i3 and i7 show very little difference in actual delivered FPS at those resolutions when details are cranked up.

FWIW, my main rig is 2 overclocked HD6970s in Crossfire (920MHz) and max detail/native res, I still need more GPU power. Many games will not run well unless I bring the resolution or detail down, therefore GPU is still a limiting issue. CPU in this rig is an AMD PhenomII 970, running at 4GHz, all under a custom water loop. The CPU provides no greater FPS than a Phenom 550 that preceded it.

The games that are heavily CPU dependent will benefit from the Intel side, but for gaming an overclocked FX-4100 with a 970FX chipset board will still deliver just as well if you game at native resolution. You could put the extra money into a 7950/7970. Trust me with a bigger monitor, you need a bigger GPU. Like we say here, if you want to be with a fat chick, you better have a big-

Sorry, censored.

Gaming is not my priority right now. Work is.
I'll start gaming after 1-2 months when I add a HD 7850/7870 and I buy a 27-inch Korean monitor.

Are u ready to buy the (Cabinet Antec NK3480 With EA 380W PSU Bronze Certification = 4450). Cabinet and PSU ? If so how much after 2 months?

I won't be buying the 27-inch monitor this month.Will be using only a 1920x1080 monitor. So I really don't need GPU.
I'll save the 5K and go for Cossair 400r and maybe 650w Antec PSU ? Cossair400r = 5800 and PSU =~5Kish . I already had 5K in my budget for that Case with inbuilt PSU.
I'll buy the monitor in a month along with HD 7850 or HD 7870.

How much do I need for a single HD 7850/7870? (I will be buying this right now) -- Seasonic S12II 520W
How much do I need for a single HD 7950/7970? -- Corsair TX v2650W
How much do I need for two HD 7870s in xfire? -- Corsair TX v2750W
How much do I need for two HD 7970s in xfire? -- Corsair TX v2850W

Also Cossair400r is out of stock pretty much throughout TamilNadu and FLipkart/Snapdeal. Some unknown online websites have it and sell it for ~5800Rs.
Also are they going to stop the supply? Is there an alternative as good as it?

Your call about the monitor and the card, mate.

You can contact these guys for the Corsair Carbide 400R --> Theitdepot - Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Case (CC-9011011-WW) (Chennai based)

Answers in italics and underline (in quoted section).

Already called them. They told me it's out of stock :( and waiting time is unknown..
My laptop died as well.

The guy gave me 2 other options from Antec 302 and 600
Antec - Three Hundred Two
and
Antec.com - Product: SIX HUNDRED

And he says Antec 650w =5200. He seems to like Antec and says it has good after sales support compared to Corsair/coolermaster.
Corsair 650 = 6100.

Ask him who provides the after sales for Antec?

About the cabinet, go for the Cooler Master STORM Scout II (if available) / Enforcer if the Corsair 400R is not available.

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming
Browsing
Desktop Processing
Download rig, 24x7 operation
Watching HD movies

Gaming is not my priority right now. Work is.

I don't see which of those is defined as 'work'. Even a rattly old Athlon II can handle any of the above, so I don't see the point you're making.

Are u ready to buy the (Cabinet Antec NK3480 With EA 380W PSU Bronze Certification = 4450). Cabinet and PSU ?

Do you even bother to read my post? I've never said anything about the cabinet. I made an observation about the possibility of you getting a diamond in the rough if (and only if) you get an EA380. And yes, if you and me are alive after 2 months I would have considered it if it wasn't blown, burnt or otherwise manhandled. However I see your understanding of English is similar to your ability to read it, and I seriously doubt you will be able to handle a single straight conversation.

Good luck for your search and your life on the forum.

I don't see which of those is defined as 'work'. Even a rattly old Athlon II can handle any of the above, so I don't see the point you're making.

Do you even bother to read my post? I've never said anything about the cabinet. I made an observation about the possibility of you getting a diamond in the rough if (and only if) you get an EA380. And yes, if you and me are alive after 2 months I would have considered it if it wasn't blown, burnt or otherwise manhandled. However I see your understanding of English is similar to your ability to read it, and I seriously doubt you will be able to handle a single straight conversation.

Good luck for your search and your life on the forum.

Hi Cranky,

I'm really sorry mate. I posted that in a hurry when I was talking to the dealer.
The thing is ur right. I am building a gaming rig (to support 2560x1440) resolution and a basic system to do work this month.My laptop is almost dead (happened on sunday) and I don't have a PC now.
So I have decided to get what I can for 30-40K right now to do work (which will be done even in a Athlon processor like u said) and will add GPU and buy a 2560x1440 monitor next month and start gaming.
Once again, I'm sorry. I thought the repair guy will be able 2 fix my laptop untill now but he said it's dead and I lost my mind :)

- - - Updated - - -

If you're going to change the mobo later to Crossfire supported one the go for i5 3450+Intel H61WW,Cause you won't change the processor once you've got it so stick to that and don't get dual core CPU.For GPU stick to HD6670 it's as same HD5670,Avoid OCZ Agility 3 and go for OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD-8k,For case CM 361 local Circle case with PSU will save 3k cash which can be used later to get better case so don't get expensive case now.Hope this clears stuff.

120GB OCZ Agility 3 = 5899
128GB OCZ Vertex 4 = 7800

Is it worth the 1900 bucks difference ? If reliability is not an issue, I'd buy the cheapest one. I'm coming from a 5200rpm drive :)

Is it worth the 1900 bucks difference ? If reliability is not an issue, I'd buy the cheapest one. I'm coming from a 5200rpm drive :)

Yep, you get a better controller, faster speeds and generally a better product for that price increment. And yes reliability is the biggest up-turn, the Agility 3 is based of the SandForce 2201 controller and can be mildly volatile the Vertex4 aims to solve that using a much more stable and mature Marvell controller.

Here is a benchmark for comparisons sake -- AnandTech - Bench - SSD.

This is not the component you should compromise on,Like ALPHA17 said the newer ver of OCZ vertex series is better so you'd get the latest one.Besides there's no point in getting slower SSD,It's use is to give you faster speed.

Final Config : :yahoo:

CPU Intel i5 - 3550 / 3.3 GHz = 12800
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H = 4750
SDD OCZ Vertex 4 128GB = 7800
Case Corsair Carbide 400r = 5600
PSU Seasonic S12II 520W = 4020

Hardware Fixing Charges = 200
Installation Charges = 200

TOTAL = 39700

[Will add a HD7870 2GB in a month with 27-inch monitor. I don't think I'll need HD 7950 anytime soon and Dirt3 in 2560x1600 ultra maxed bench shows 65+fps for HD7870 and the Korean monitors can't go beyond 60fps right? I'm not going to overclock them anyway. This also lets me stick with a modest 520W PSU ]

Thanks a lot to ALPHA17 , Jakob and cranky for helping me :)

This is not the component you should compromise on,Like ALPHA17 said the newer ver of OCZ vertex series is better so you'd get the latest one.Besides there's no point in getting slower SSD,It's use is to give you faster speed.

Yep, you get a better controller, faster speeds and generally a better product for that price increment. And yes reliability is the biggest up-turn, the Agility 3 is based of the SandForce 2201 controller and can be mildly volatile the Vertex4 aims to solve that using a much more stable and mature Marvell controller.

Here is a benchmark for comparisons sake -- AnandTech - Bench - SSD.

First ... this is regards the OCZ vertex 4..... just go for it mate (like all the other's have assured you). I am using the same and I can tell you the performance is mind-Blowing!

...... regards the Korean Monitor that your refer to Which one is it ? (apologies if I missed it on this thread)

And guys does the 520W psu have enough juice to crossfire (later as OP wishes to)?

Cheers
Terry

EDIT: Oops u listed it in your (final) config... cheerio

First ... this is regards the OCZ vertex 4..... just go for it mate (like all the other's have assured you). I am using the same and I can tell you the performance is mind-Blowing!

...... regards the Korean Monitor that your refer to Which one is it ? (apologies if I missed it on this thread)

And guys does the 520W psu have enough juice to crossfire (later as OP wishes to)?

Cheers
Terry

EDIT: Oops u listed it in your (final) config... cheerio

Thanks for the +ve feedback mate.. I'll buy it then.
Regarding PSU I'll cross fire only when I need a 3 monitor setup (will take atleast a year) and HD7870 is more than enough to play racing games even with everything maxed out in 2560x1440 resolution with 60+FPS . So 520W is good :)

I'll buy the cheapest Korean monitor available. Probably the Acheiva Shimian Lite. I buy it only for the resolution and screen size. 300$ with free intl shipping.
Heard after customs ,etc I won't be spending more than 22K in total :D

Hi guys,
The dealer is asking me to buy and send the cabinet to him or choose some other cabinets.
Can u have a look at the below cabinets and tell me if any of those is as good or better than the 400r?
I don't want to compromise on the cabinet because I'll never change it. :)

CM 690 II Plus - Rs. 5990/-
CM 690 II Plus(Asia-Pacific edition) - Cooler Master

CM HAF 912 Combat - Rs. 5250/-
HAF 912 Combat (for APAC only) - Cooler Master

CM Storm Enforcer - Rs. 6750/-
CM Storm » Products: Enforcer

[Enforcer will exceed the budget by 1K , however if it's really better than the 400r, I'll go for it]
400r would come to around 5600/- [including shipping to chennai]

Thanks in advance :)

Drop the 690 II Plus as it lacks usb 3.0 ports

the HAF 912 is OK & has usb 3.0 ports

the Storm Enforcer is the BEST - the included fans are of the highest quality that CM has & super silent; has dust-filters; usb 3.0; Removable & Rotatable HDD cage for convenient installation

CM 690 II Plus - Rs. 5990/-
CM 690 II Plus(Asia-Pacific edition) - Cooler Master

CM HAF 912 Combat - Rs. 5250/-
HAF 912 Combat (for APAC only) - Cooler Master

CM Storm Enforcer - Rs. 6750/-
CM Storm » Products: Enforcer

[Enforcer will exceed the budget by 1K , however if it's really better than the 400r, I'll go for it]
400r would come to around 5600/- [including shipping to chennai]

The Corsair Carbide 400R is the best out there. None of these can hold a candle to the same's versatility.

Back