Good Quality Electrical Switches and Sockets. Who makes them?

Good Quality Electrical Switches and Sockets.

• Schneider electric

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Legrand

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • GM Modular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great White

• Hagar

• Havells

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Crabtree

• Anchor

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • ABB

• Cona

• Total voters

lockhrt999

Not a Fan.
Skilled
I have been meaning to change the switches in my house. Who makes good quality and long lasting switches and sockets?

I also want to know that who makes less stupid sockets. Most sockets have stupid shutter which a 2 pin plug can't push away. I don't want to make plugging 2 pin plug a circus.

I'd be buying these switches online. Mostly from https://www.eleczo.com/

Let me know good or bad experience you had with any brand.

I have not used the expensive ones. But I can definitely say don’t buy Great White. I had to change all my outdoor switches by GW after 2 years. Achor is the other brand that I have used and they are still working well. (white colour has become slightly yellow though)

Two things i learnt here.

Eleczo is Bangalore based

It is possible to get neutral white or 4,000K LED B21 bulbs in India. Wish they were 14W but 12W I suppose is ok. OOS atm though.

I have been meaning to change the switches in my house. Who makes good quality and long lasting switches and sockets?

I also want to know that who makes less stupid sockets. Most sockets have stupid shutter which a 2 pin plug can't push away. I don't want to make plugging 2 pin plug a circus.

I'd be buying these switches online. Mostly from https://www.eleczo.com/

Let me know good or bad experience you had with any brand.
I have used Schneider Clipsal switches in my house. While the switches are very smooth and worked well for the past 15 years here are a few things to keep in mind.
  1. For some reason ants enter the wall where the switchboard is fixed and dig out the sand and brick. As the sand gets into the switch, the switch stops working. As the switch mechanism is soft and silent it is not able to grind those particles of sand. This could very well be the case with other switches too.
  2. Even eight and twelve modules switch boxes come with only 2 screws that can be fitted to the Switchbox plate. The Switchbox plate is the one in which your switches are housed. The problem is that when visitors come home they are not as careful as I am. When they insert a laptop charger into the socket and pull the plug by the wire instead of holding onto the switchboard and gently pulling the plug, the Switchbox plate (generally black in color) breaks off. The reason is that there are only 2 screws securing the plate to the metal Switchbox. They should have provided at least 4 screws if not 6. So, make sure if you are buying a module that can house more than 6 switches it has at least 4 screws to secure the plate.
  3. I think you can remove the plastic shutter (child safety mechanism) in most sockets. I think the Clipsal one is not removable. Unlike most cheap switches, the Clipsal switches did not have any issues with the spring mechanism of the child safety mechanism. The good thing about this plastic shutter is that it keeps the plug securely in the socket unlike those without the shutter where the plug keeps coming off the socket.
  4. Try to buy sockets that can take multiple types of plugs (Indian and US) whether they are 6A, 10A, or 16A. The convenience of not having to reach for a plug converter is great even if you pay a marginally higher price for these sockets.
  5. Today, I wouldn't recommend Schneider Clipsal because of reasons 1 and 2 and the fact that it is not easy to get spare parts after 15 years.
  6. I would suggest going for Anchor. The quality is good and availability is not an issue.

I remember making a similar thread not long ago. I ended up buying Norisys stuff, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet as I am doing the replacements myself and other things took over life. The quality is pretty good and they have some unique switches like 2 in 1,where you can have 2 13A switches in space of 1 module. This has helped me provide an extra socket in an 8 module box. Also decided to go with a modular MCB for the power points instead of a 25A switch.

We have used Wonder Pretty, Anchor Roma, Anchor normal - Off-white color switches, Legrand Myrius, Legrand Mylinc, Legrand Lyncus brands. Modular and non-Modular ones. The old ones from Wonder Pretty with color plates were the best ones of the lot. Its still running perfect after 15 years. Next comes Anchor off white models , both are non-modular models. The shutter models are prevalent with modular models. Unfortunately no luck with modular models. Legrnad Myrius have color issues, matt black have troubled us a lot. The shutter sockets have troubles. Like @skoka123 mentioned ant issues ravage these switches. We have resorted to spraying insecticides inside the boxes frequently in cozier areas of the house. Also his point on rough usage is apt since these have the tendency to pull itself from soft walls. Have seen a lot of these issues from my work front. Have used Mylinc in offices and they are fine considering they are white and used sparingly. Lyncus is comparitively new and longevity is yet to be tested.
Apart from these I have seen Schneider up close , costly but good. GM Modular is also good.

My 2 cents - Check the metal boxes behind the switch plates for compatibilty before deciding models. Clean the insides of the box and seal it to prevent ants from entering.
I have seen GM sockets with no shutter on them, so check if they are available for your usage.
Do get some models with Indian & US for your house? I find it useful when a guest needs them suddenly. I had a seperate wooden box with these sockets made to assit repairmen and guests.

@skoka123 @?dOuBtFiRe? The ant problem could happen to any switch board design. I think it’s the cool environment inside the box which attracts them. The problem is worse in the monsoon season :(

If you see ants, the earlier you treat the problem the better it is. Otherwise as mentioned the dust/sand hampers the switch mechanism and the casing has to be opened to remove the debris.

At the moment, Laxman Rekha around the switch board seems to be working for us. It doesn’t look pretty (won’t be too visible if you have a white board) but atleast the switches will not be affected.

Incase you choose a modular system, make sure the switch design are easily available. Otherwise in the future when you go to replace on of the switches and the same model isn’t available, it will look odd. It has happened to me. We have Great White and when a few went bad, I wanted to use Achor switches but they didn’t have the same design.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies.

For some reason ants enter the wall where the switchboard is fixed and dig out the sand and brick. As the sand gets into the switch, the switch stops working. As the switch mechanism is soft and silent it is not able to grind those particles of sand. This could very well be the case with other switches too.
This seems like HDD like situation. For some reason ants also get attracted to HDDs.

I think you can remove the plastic shutter (child safety mechanism) in most sockets. I think the Clipsal one is not removable. Unlike most cheap switches, the Clipsal switches did not have any issues with the spring mechanism of the child safety mechanism. The good thing about this plastic shutter is that it keeps the plug securely in the socket unlike those without the shutter where the plug keeps coming off the socket.
I have already removed the shutter in a couple of sockets where it was getting very irritating. But I was looking for some better shutter or no shutter at all.

Try to buy sockets that can take multiple types of plugs (Indian and US) whether they are 6A, 10A, or 16A. The convenience of not having to reach for a plug converter is great even if you pay a marginally higher price for these sockets.
That's a good advice to many. I haven't had to face a single american plug in my existence. I'd still advice to strip american plug and install indian plug in its place.

Legrnad Myrius have color issues, matt black have troubled us a lot. The shutter sockets have troubles. Like @skoka123 mentioned ant issues ravage these switches.
Ok so far, Schneider and Legrand both have ant issues and have a tendency of socket popping out.

My 2 cents - Check the metal boxes behind the switch plates for compatibilty before deciding models. Clean the insides of the box and seal it to prevent ants from entering.
In my case, we are changing everything so new metal boxes will be fitted.

I find it useful when a guest needs them suddenly. I had a seperate wooden box with these sockets made to assit repairmen and guests.
I have one same extension made where repair guys can plug in their heavy appliances.

I remember making a similar thread not long ago. I ended up buying Norisys stuff, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet as I am doing the replacements myself and other things took over life. The quality is pretty good and they have some unique switches like 2 in 1,where you can have 2 13A switches in space of 1 module. This has helped me provide an extra socket in an 8 module box. Also decided to go with a modular MCB for the power points instead of a 25A switch.
I knew i saw that somewhere

I knew about this thread but didn't want to piggyback on another thread again. (I have been doing that). I started this with generic title and discussion.

----
Ok I have been doing some research and come to conclusion that we shouldn't use following.

Anchor Roma Classic
Anchor Roma Plus
Anchor Roma Urban
Anchor Rider
Anchor Woods
Anchor Vision
Many other brands series.

Reason: These days mobile charges are coming in 3 pin plug form factor but without third/earth pin. And all above series 3 pin sockets can't accommodate them without circus.

This highly scientific diagram will make it all clear.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Chargers can't be put into 2 pin socket because those holes are small.

Also we can't use 2 pin socket like this for mobile chargers because these are so big that they overlap on the button next to this socket. Not to mention, chargers can't open safety shutter in them.
Screenshot_2.jpg

If one has to use Anchor then he can go with Anchor Penta Modular. AFAIK only this series come with socket without shutter. https://lsin.panasonic.com/switch-s...-and-socket/penta-modular/accessories/sockets

Last edited:
I knew about this thread but didn't want to piggyback on another thread again. (I have been doing that). I started this with generic title and discussion.
No problem with another thread but i thought there was some ideas in that one you could use
Ok I have been doing some research and come to conclusion that we shouldn't use following.

Anchor Roma Classic
Anchor Roma Plus
Anchor Roma Urban
Anchor Rider
Anchor Woods
Anchor Vision

Reason: These days mobile charges are coming in 3 pin plug form factor but without third/earth pin. And all above series 3 pin sockets can't accommodate them without circus.

This highly scientific diagram will make it all clear.

View attachment 144936
Can you post a pic of these 3-pin mobile chargers without the 3rd pin?

If they're Indian format plugs why is the missing 3rd pin a problem in that socket?

Chargers can't be put into 2 pin socket because those holes are small.
They shouldn't be small

Also we can't use 2 pin socket like this for mobile chargers because these are so big that they overlap on the button next to this socket. Not to mention, chargers can't open safety shutter in them.
View attachment 144937

If one has to use Anchor then he can go with Anchor Penta Modular. AFAIK only this series come with socket without shutter. https://lsin.panasonic.com/switch-s...-and-socket/penta-modular/accessories/sockets
At some point, you're going to have to get an extension cable. Preferably one with 3 pins which means it won't go into that two-pin socket which is a good reason not to use them AT ALL and just stick to 3 pin sockets and be future-proofed for life.

Last edited:
Can you post a pic of these 3-pin mobile chargers without the 3rd pin?
All mobiles released in a last few years have chargers like that. Check the charger from the photo itself. Check your own charger against any other 2 pin plug.

One may not realise it but chargers don't come with standard 2 pin plug layout. Chargers have bigger prongs like 3 pin plug and spacing between prongs is also like 3 pin plug.

Hence mobile charges require 3 pin socket but as they don't have earth prong to push away the safety shutter, they get cockblocked.

@skoka123 @?dOuBtFiRe?

At the moment, Laxman Rekha around the switch board seems to be working for us. It doesn’t look pretty (won’t be too visible if you have a white board) but atleast the switches will not be affected.

Incase you choose a modular system, make sure the switch design are easily available. Otherwise in the future when you go to replace on of the switches and the same model isn’t available, it will look odd. It has happened to me. We have Great White and when a few went bad, I wanted to use Achor switches but they didn’t have the same design.
Laxman Rekha works if the ants come from outside. But if ants come from within the building i.e using interior/ concaled electrical pipes, then it doesn't work. Sealing helps a lot.
True availability in case of unknown brands is troublesome. That is why we went with known brands.

Also don't bother a lot about using 2 pin mobile chargers. Its good news for you that most companies have stopped bundling their own chargers and makes the end user buy one. And will we do? Use the previous used one or upgrade to a faster GAN chargers. In case a guest asks to use, you can lend yours.

I'll check tomorrow, but I think I went for Norisys sockets because they operate fine even with 2-pin plugs. I think I read it somewhere but I'll confirm tomorrow by trying out my sockets and revert back in this thread.

I'll check tomorrow, but I think I went for Norisys sockets because they operate fine even with 2-pin plugs. I think I read it somewhere but I'll confirm tomorrow by trying out my sockets and revert back in this thread.
Yeah I went for Norisys too. Cost effective and they looked nice, especially the grey CUBE series. Haven't had any issues in 3 years.
Just dont use their HDMI ports if you want ARC, CEC , etc

Screenshot_1.jpg

I find such sockets in Schneider and Legrand. These have oval shaped holes. I want to know we can plug in a 2 pin plug in them without any problem right?

Edit:
Anyway, I bought Schneider livia locally. Eleczo website was having 67% discount ( + GST ) and some sockets were out of stock. Locally I got everything with 68% discount (+GST)

There are some discrepancies with 3 pin socket. Unlike the above photo the newer models come with round holes. And we can plug in most 2 pin plugs without problem. Some smaller 2 pin plugs will pose some problem though.

Govt should try to standardise electrical plugs and socket before thinking standardizing mobile, table charging ports.

Cables are also a lot cheaper locally compared to eleczo or amazon.

Last edited:

Does using RJ45 wall ports reduce bandwidth?

I want to use cat6 wall ports instead of running a single cat6 cable throughout to connect to, say, other access/mesh points, cctv or computers. Would I still get the 10 gbps bandwidth? Do remember that when we use RJ45 wall ports, we use them in pairs. So there always be 2 wall ports for every connection.

What do you do in your house?

Does using RJ45 wall ports reduce bandwidth?

I want to use cat6 wall ports instead of running a single cat6 cable throughout to connect to, say, other access/mesh points, cctv or computers. Would I still get the 10 gbps bandwidth? Do remember that when we use RJ45 wall ports, we use them in pairs. So there always be 2 wall ports for every connection.

What do you do in your house?
Don't see why they would.

Back