Graphic Cards Got the XFX8800GT but something is wrong

i think ill have to upgrade my BIOS to access PCI-E settings as i cant see them currently.. neway needed advice on this.. should i install the latest Beta 2403 Bios or the older 2302 bios???? also should i do it through XP or through DOS..

[Edit]

Remote Location meaning .. rt now i m in Bihar that too around 150 K.M. away from the main city Patna... .. so i think mines the best card around here in the whole city :p {wish it could perform like one.. but now that ive got the prob.. i think soln would be available too}

first try to reset the cmos. it would not take more than a few minutes.
and if you do decide to update the bios then do it through dos or if you have that Asus EZ-bios flashing thingy in ur bios options then use that.

Refrain from flashing through windows. keep it the last option if required.

hmmm.. ok... i cleared my Cmos by removing the battry.. then bringing the biso to default.. still the PCI_E slot is at 1x...

updated the Bios thrugh Windows .. via the ASUS Update utility from mobo cd..

againt the PCI-E slot shows x1 ...

installed an old x1300xt in it.. the pci slot showed x16...

pcix1300xtgpuz.jpg

is it because its an NV card that my mobo is downgrading the PCIE slot to x1 or is it because its PCI-E 2.0 ???

cant seem to figure this out.. i know the culprit now only.. donno how to erradicate it :( ...

will try Lord NuroDrones link and see if it helps...

[Edit]

i changed the PCI-E frequency from Auto to 108Mhz .. but it still shows x1 and i m getting the same results.. poor FPS in games and 3dmark..

now wt should i do..ive the latest bios..

do i also need to adjust some volts inroder for it to be sucessful?? also why in ATI card it goes back to x16?? .. any suggestions???

hey...why dont u put the gfx card in a friends pc and check it out...then ull knw if the issue is with the card or the pc...

This is a probably very stupid question, but you HAVE connected the 6-pin PCIe connector, right? The card needs that, and ideally connected to two separate molex lines.

Wasn't mentioned anywhere else and I guess you've covered that base, but thought I'd check.

The problem sounds like the card is refusing to operate at full spec due to power shortage. I very much doubt it is a motherboard issue, unless the PCIe power regulators on the motherboard are shot to h3ll. And if you have the 6-pin connected you wouldn't need mucho power from the slot anyway.

well ofcourse i connected the 6pin connector.. without it the card makes a very high pitch noise which is unbearable reminding u to use that power connector..

also ive been reading alot on many forums..

its eigther that their cards refuse to start.. or work properly..

noones stuck in between like i am.. that is ..the card starts .. but the pci-e slots downgrades to 1x...

ill be trying to flash the cards bios to Gen1 to see if it has any effect.

OK try these two PEG settings in BIOS.

First reset settings again, clear CMOS with the CLRTC jumper near the RAID connectors on the bottom of the board.

Once you reboot, set PEG link mode to 'Faster' or whatever the highest setting is, this should force the slot into 16x mode (there should be four settings + 1 auto, these correspond to 1x, 4x, 8x and 16x).

Then set the slot power to 'Heavier', again there are some 5 options.

Reboot and let us know. I'll check back in the morning, if you still have problems we'll troubleshoot using the PCIe spec table.

well all hope is lost now..

ive tried everything.. i give up..

tried the PEG link thing.. it kept hanging my PC in XP and under Vista had no effect ...

then successfully Flashed the BIOS of the card to previous gen .. no effect at all... the slot is still stuck at 1x...

now i m sure that my 14K is gone down the drain....

nothing i can do will change this thing..

neway... i guess.. ive to live with it now..

but if anything else can be done.. i m gonna do it.. so please help guys.. really need it...

Can you still check it in some other system?

There are no burn marks on the card contacts right? ( the PCI express contacts ).

No way you should settle for this. Whats the use of this card in this condition m8?

no burn marks or anything on the card... also i tried after flashing the Bios to Gen 1 in which mode it should work on all the previous gen PCI-E mobos rt,,, but i tried it in my older Intel D915GAV system which has PCI-E x16 Slot.. but the card refuesd to boot...

i tried using the X1300XT in that system it worked..

now i donno if its the card or my P5WDH ... but this certainly sucks..

nothing is working.. now bios tweaking.. no bios flashing..

the slot always stuck at 1x..

i should restore the BIOS of card to original i think

redscorpion_11 said:
no burn marks or anything on the card... also i tried after flashing the Bios to Gen 1 in which mode it should work on all the previous gen PCI-E mobos rt,,, but i tried it in my older Intel D915GAV system which has PCI-E x16 Slot.. but the card refuesd to boot...
i tried using the X1300XT in that system it worked..
now i donno if its the card or my P5WDH ... but this certainly sucks..
nothing is working.. now bios tweaking.. no bios flashing..
the slot always stuck at 1x..
i should restore the BIOS of card to original i think

yup, before sending card for RMA, restore to original bios. not that these people care much but still better to have original bios on the card, why give any chance for excuse ;)

Well this is certainly a new thing thing!! card resorting to 1x transfer speeds btw OT question how much did you get the powersafe 600 watts for ?

its been around 6-8 months since got both the powersafe psus.. had bought 2 of it at that time for building 2 systems..but 1 was scratched and so i was left with 1 extra.. so i kept it as a backup PSU if my other one fails.. and its been brand new till now... i m using this new one just to be sure its not my PSU thats faulty..i think at that time it was around 4500 or something..

^^ when using single card made any difference, if it's CrossFire board or SLi board??

FYI, SLi and CrossFire are almost identical in nature except few things here n there. One such prominent difference I know of is, that CrossFire requires Peer-to-Peer writing on both PCIe ports while SLi doesn't. People in past, had enabled running nVidia card in SLi mode on CrossFire boards using hacked drivers. Sorry for going OT, but really... how your comment was suppose to help him?

wel i have only 1 nvidia card.. the board is CROSSFIRE ready.. but it can run any card in orange PCI-E Slot.. at least i think it can...

i m not trying it in SLI or CROSSFIRE mode... so thats outta the question..

also when i tried to add the 8800GT as ssecondary adaptor for second display and have x1300xt for my primary one.. the second card failed to bootup and show in windows at all... this is something not understandable...

so i ran the nv card again in the second slot alone.. it booted but was at x1 again..

Back