Graphic Cards Got the XFX8800GT but something is wrong

somehow this crossfire thingy makes me think that its gotta do with the board's incompatibility with pcie2.0 nvidia cards...anyone on same setup (p5w crossfire) running an nvidia card properly? and just for confirmation, i hope you're running only 1 card at a time on ur mbd (as primary graphics adapter)....

This is one of the most rock solid boards I have used for C2D.
It should not have any problems with the 8800GT being PCI express 2.0.
If such problem existed, there would have been much hoopla about this on international forums.
Asus is still not supporting this board officially for 45nm processors, buts has not issued any warning for 8800GT.
I still have a 956chipset motherboard and P35 chipset board both of which are non PCI express 2.0 boards and support crossfire. And none are having issues with 8800GT.

Funky said:
This is one of the most rock solid boards I have used for C2D.
It should not have any problems with the 8800GT being PCI express 2.0.
If such problem existed, there would have been much hoopla about this on international forums.
Asus is still not supporting this board officially for 45nm processors, buts has not issued any warning for 8800GT.
I still have a 956chipset motherboard and P35 chipset board both of which are non PCI express 2.0 boards and support crossfire. And none are having issues with 8800GT.

I agree. Lots of enthusiasts still have P5W DH in their machines. If there is some in-compatibiltity with PCI Ex 2.0, we would have heard about it by now.

As you said that even on second PCIe slot, your card goes down to x1 mode.

Well, it's almost clear that there is something wrong with the card. Had it been issue with motherboard or PCIe slots, even your ATi card should have faced the speed downgrade.

I suggest that you get your card replaced.

Try raising and/or lowering the voltages to the NB and SB chips.

The problem is this:
on power up ur bios is , for some reason failing to properly initialise ur 8800GT gfx card, hence the bios is by "default" allocating it the lowest speed of x1.
There is no one solution to this you will have to try various "possible" solutions.

for e.g.1) the voltage(s) of your pci-e bus may not be within the tolerance limit of this gfx card.

2) improper contact of the card connectors (one or more contact) with the pins in the pci-e slot.

deejay said:
Try raising and/or lowering the voltages to the NB and SB chips.

The problem is this:
on power up ur bios is , for some reason failing to properly initialise ur 8800GT gfx card, hence the bios is by "default" allocating it the lowest speed of x1.
There is no one solution to this you will have to try various "possible" solutions.

for e.g.1) the voltage(s) of your pci-e bus may not be within the tolerance limit of this gfx card.

2) improper contact of the card connectors (one or more contact) with the pins in the pci-e slot.

from his PM he already tried that. Bumped PCI express bus frequency, increased the voltages to everything but still same thing happens to his card.

I am going at my friend's place with my 8800GT who has P5WDH tonight late after dinner. Lets see if problem persists on that board.

yeah thats a great idea...

lets hope its not the mobo and only my card.. as i dont thin ill be able to get a new mobo rt after purchasing this card ..

neway i am still searching the net for similar problems.. many in the past during 8800GTS had this problems.. but none of them ever posted it their prob was solved or not.. and mostly ive seen this thing happening due to overclocking....but i havent found any solutions till now..ive also mailed the XFXforce.com but no reply :(

[Edit]

just checked my mails.. this is wt they had to say..

[PAULV - 11/22/2007] Hi, thanks for your message and for letting us know. The card you are using will not run at 1x mode so this would be impossible. Only 4x and 8x are compatible modes. Best to check the mainboard manual or check with the mainboard manufacturer on this. Hope all goes well, however if any queries or problems please keep us posted. Kind regards Paul

Funky said:
from his PM he already tried that. Bumped PCI express bus frequency, increased the voltages to everything but still same thing happens to his card.
I am going at my friend's place with my 8800GT who has P5WDH tonight late after dinner. Lets see if problem persists on that board.
1)increased the voltages ....ok but has he tried lowering it. sometimes lower voltages works wonders for compatibility / overclock/ stability.
2) ask him to remove the battery for a few hours (after the proper cmos jumper change) and then restart the m/c go to bios and load "setup defaults" / "optimise settings" , save & reboot. this will clear the cmos properly.
preferably with the m/b outside the case with just the keyboard attached.

edit: i have got lots of possible solutions to try for this problem, but i am not sure if the poster has the patience or willingness to try them, hence giving just these one liners. i have merely academic interest in this problem and it is upto the poster to go all the way to learn since he actually has the system physically. for all we know he may return / exchange the card before we complete the "failure analysis".

lol thats usual stupid reply from xfx :p

Anyway I did try the Galaxy 8800GT yesterday on P5WDH and it worked perfectly fine right after plugging it in.

No issues what so ever.

I dont know if its relevant or not in this case, but all 3 8800GTs I have seen till date had 1 common problem.

They are using some silver compound on the core, and they are using too much of it.

Galaxy 8800GT has soo much goop that it was flowing out from the chip area onto the pcb. it was also covering those SMD components near the core.

It was like someone put a tablespoon of goop and dumped it on the core.

eVGA was in much better condition. but again XFX alpha dog had same overflowing goop.

edit: i have got lots of possible solutions to try for this problem, but i am not sure if the poster has the patience or willingness to try them, hence giving just these one liners. i have merely academic interest in this problem and it is upto the poster to go all the way to learn since he actually has the system physically. for all we know he may return / exchange the card before we complete the "failure analysis".

Hehe many of us have subscribed to this thread too, as this prob is entirely new. Do keep us posted as AFAIK its mostly an issue with the mobo rather than the card as Deejay pointed...

hmm thanx for all the support & comments..its really helped me lurn much about my system.... i will try wut deejay said one last time before sending it for RMA....if its the card thats faulty then theyll replace it [i hope they will].. but if its my mobo.. ill try any possible solution for it as i wont have any other choise but to do so... neway.. will wait for 4 days n see wt rashi has to say...

[edit]

just lookd at the mobo's JumperFree settings .. so do i have to lower the NB & SB voltages?? coz theres no such option ..only to increase it or to set it on Auto. ppl wilth P5WDH Deluxe might be able to help me here on how to lower voltages.. do i also need to lower CPU voltages??

No Sahil, i am not ruling out anything. it could be the bios , m/b pci-e slot pins, etc.. or as funky rightly pointed out the TIM must have shorted some traces , chip pins on the card. but you see sahil i do not know the technical ability of the poster hence I cannot straight way ask him to undress the card and clean the card pcb with acetone, water etc.
we need to go from basic solutions to advance ones in such cases.
The problem imho is , as i have stated above, that the bios is failing to initialise the pci-e bus as it is not getting a proper reply back from the card during the initial "hand-shaking" on powerup. hence the m/b bios is defaulting to the lowest speed of x1 on the pci-e bus.
The m/b h/w is not faulty because with other cards it is working perfectly.
if sc_11 manages to remove the h/s and clean the pcb with acetone + cotton swabs properly then we can rule out shorted traces or shorted chip pins. (very high chance of rectifying this problem). now all we can do is wait for feedback from sc_11.

^^ But one strange thing I noticed is he is getting similar frames at all resolutions, if the card is getting choked on bandwith howcome the frames do not reduce at higher resolutions with AA and AF enabled ?

Also he was facing the same issue with another card too, but his X1300XT was working fine...

k,, ive resetted the cmos by removing the battery for 2 hrs..

couldent decrease the volts on NB and SB as theres no option to do so in the bios of the mobo...

the problem remains.. the PCI-E slot gets downgraded to 1x.

i have some experience in opening up the cards and applying AC5 and aftermarket coolers as i had done it with X1900XT as well as my C2D in which i had opened it up and applied AS5 as well as TR Ultra 120Ex..

i think ill try just to open it up cleaning the chip and applying the AS5.. but i donno if it will void my warrenty..

neway... if that doesent work eigther ill send it straight for RMA..

lets hope for the best..

Btw these are my Scores in 3dmark06 at all 3 resolutions..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/redscorpion_11/all33dmarkscores.jpg

ok.. ive undressed the card.. cleaned the white goo which was all over the place.. some had actually leaked to the pcb.. applied AS5 .. rebooted.. cleared cmos.. increased / decreased PCI-E Mhz.. increased NB & SB voltages.. couldent decrease it.. increased as well decreased slot power.. upgraded mobo bios to latest version.. increased & decreased peg link option.. tried cleaning the PCI-E slot with compressed air can.. tried it on a fresh install of vista & XP on another HDD with latest forceware drivers..

BUT BUT BUT.. this shit is still stuck at x1 speed.. no change wt so ever.. i am out of ideas.. neway.. ill be sending it for RMA now..

so all i can do now is wait for their call ....

just hoping its the cards problem and not the mobo..

neway.. all prey for me :p ..

One advise,

Try to set pci at 110 (from 100),see if it helps..

I have heard of some pcie compatibility problems with asus mobo's,lets hope its not the case here..

i tried increasing the PCI-E slot mhz from 90 to 120 sequentially.. at 121 it fialed to recognise and HDD.. at 122 it failed to boot.. and loaded default settings automatically..

so i guess ive tried everytihing i knew..

ofcourse there are many many things that can be tried as deejay said.. but i dont have the experties as well as patience for that.. once its proven that the cards fine.. maybe then ill try all the things possible to get this card to work.. but till then ive my finger crossed..

P.S. ive already curiored the card at 6:45 P.M. today.. it should reach by monday afternoon at best...lets wait and see wt happens..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/redscorpion_11/all33dmarkscores.jpg

btw did u guys chkout the pic i possted above its got all 3 3dmark06 scores.. weird stuff is that increase res has no effect while gaming .. that is at wtever resolution i play bioshock i get around 7-25 FPS sometimes 30 FPS ... so any ideas how its possible?? its definetly because of the x1 mode rt.? no matter at what res i play.. the cards pumping all the data back to cpu but the PCI-E bus aint able to deliver it.. well thats my reasoning..

any other ideas about this??

Back