Graphic Cards Graphic card buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Graphic Card Advisor

chaitu.genius said:
Will the GT3xx series be priced similar to the 5xxx series???
And also which brand should i go for???
Even if i buy a Ati 4850 can i crossfire it with the 5850 ???
Is the 9800 as powerful as the 4850????????
I cant spend more than 5K

1.will be a bit on higher side.
2.better to avoid palit, and look for the RMA services in your city as ACES170 told you.
3.it wont be possible, even if it will be the HD5850 will have to power itself down, so doesnt make sense.
4.9800gt is almost as powerful as the HD4850, the successor of 9800gt which is 9800gtx+ which is now called GTS250 is equivalent to HD4850.
5.as told by Aces170, better to add in 0.5k and get a 9800gt.

Hi,

I bought Saffier ATI HD 5770.
I am running it on a local PSU 400W.

All is fine except on 'startup' screen blinks a bit (this happens evertime i starup)

and 'ocassionaly' there are strips, its like "wn a vedio game is stuck".

except above error everthing work fine, i find no probs while playing games like GTA 4, dragon age, NFS Shift etc at 1920x1080 resol.

plz advise wat to do.
Im realy worrid wheather this is happning due to low PSU and i might damage my GPU.

asingh said:
^^ Is it possible to Xfire a 48xx to a 58xx..?

No, you cannot run a 48xx and a 58xx in crossfire.
although cards of same series can be run in crossfire, where the higher card lowers itself down to the lower cards level.
Like a HD4850 in crossfire with HD4870.

chaitu.genius said:
Is PhysX worth all the hype???
or can i go for a cheaper ATi card..

Yes, some games are accelerated by PhysX and if you have the requirements, theres no harm in running a dedicated PhysX card.

Some guys will disagree with me, but i know that playing Batman AA on a HD4670 and then on a 9600gt, you can see the difference.

tajendra said:
Hi,

All is fine except on 'startup' screen blinks a bit (this happens evertime i starup)

except above error everthing work fine, i find no probs while playing games like GTA 4, dragon age, NFS Shift etc at 1920x1080 resol.

plz advise wat to do.
Im realy worrid wheather this is happning due to low PSU and i might damage my GPU.

First thing first, upgrade your PSU man, your system is at risk, its never safe to run system on a local PSU.
get yourself a good branded PSU.
And if the problem still persist, try the card on a friends rig, if he faces the problem too, take it to the RMA centre.

tajendra said:
Hi,

plz advise wat to do.

1. Move to the latest CCC drivers.
2. Test you GPU on another system.
3. Get a better PSU. (PLEASE)

wingmysoul said:
^your intex cannot run the 4850.

what is your budget for the psu?

get the seasonic 380 for about 3k or the corsair cx400.

you can even look at the gigabyte 460.

What makes you say this ? 450 W is min recommended for this card.

But i think you are talking about the brand and its quality,iam sure its pathetic.:D

Consensus seems to be building here that the gigabyte 460 is a super buy.Affordable too.

Ok so how much watt PSU would b enough? (I am planning to crossfire in near future)

And which brand?

is 'Jabronic' a good PSU manufacturar.

indus said:
What makes you say this ? 450 W is min recommended for this card.

But i think you are talking about the brand and its quality,iam sure its pathetic.:D

Consensus seems to be building here that the gigabyte 460 is a super buy.Affordable too.

I guess the poster meant, minimum total system requirement with a HD4850 plugged in. With over head and safety backed in..in terms of power requirement.

tajendra said:
Ok so how much watt PSU would b enough? (I am planning to crossfire in near future)

And which brand?

Even if you are not crossfiring,get rid of the PSU,and get a good brand 400 or 450 W or you will ruin your card.

For Crossfire,get a 550 Watts PSU,corsair or gigabyte depending on budget.Or the others like seasonic,coolermaster etc.

Stay away from abra ka dabra and jabra-onic brands.Never heard of them :eek:hyeah:.

Crossfire requirements are stated on the card manufacturer's website and it is good practice to follow them.

For a tight budget, i suggest the gigabyte 550 W ,but iam wondering how you connected your old PSU to the 5770 .With a pcie to molex?

rajeev

tajendra said:

And which brand?

I would suggest a TX650 to be on the safer side.

Its not jabronics, its zebronics.
Its an Indian brand for pc peripheral..
not recommended for high end PSU's.

ragzdiablo said:
I would suggest a TX650 to be on the safer side.

Its not jabronics, its zebronics.

Its an Indian brand for pc peripheral..

not recommended for high end PSU's.

Oh he meant zebronics.Hmm.It cant compare with the big brands.I have a Zebronics UPS and its ok quality.

Gigabyte has earned our respect over the years so i guess he can go for that brand.

Or if he has the budget,buy the higher wattage gigabyte 550 w .

Tajendra, if you are looking for great quality, the Corsair or coolermaster PSU's will be good.

Crossfire or SLI recommended power is 550 W and above depending on which card you use.

As safety, go with 200W per card when configuring. Leaves you with OC overhead, and bandwidth for future upgrades. Else this will give a nice estimate.

CoolerMaster, Corsair, Gigabyte, Silverstone are good. (Listed alphabetically)

Forgot Tagan..!

asingh said:
As safety, go with 200W per card when configuring. Leaves you with OC overhead, and bandwidth for future upgrades. Else this will give a nice estimate.

CoolerMaster, Corsair, Gigabyte, Silverstone are good. (Listed alphabetically)

Forgot Tagan..!

i m not able to grasp the concept of watt?

bcoz this watt we r talking abt is 'input watt' but the output is in volt and it is 12vlt for all PSUs no matter wat input is there, right ?

and it is mainly the load capacity of a PSU. all PSUs hv same output but branded ones donot melt down wn under high load and working for long hrs.

am i right ?

i suggested a 650w keeping in mind medium overclocking..

and it gives you room for upgrading..

indus said:
For a tight budget, i suggest the gigabyte 550 W ,but iam wondering how you connected your old PSU to the 5770 .With a pcie to molex?

rajeev

there ws a three pin to six pin convertor cord with GPU. i just connet with that one.

and its around 10 days. except startup no other probs.

im going to change the PSU though.

how is 'FPS' brand, any idea.
im getting 500W PSU at RS. 3400

I hope this time i got the name right !!

tajendra said:
i m not able to grasp the concept of watt?

bcoz this watt we r talking abt is 'input watt' but the output is in volt and it is 12vlt for all PSUs no matter wat input is there, right ?

and it is mainly the load capacity of a PSU. all PSUs hv same output but branded ones donot melt down wn under high load and working for long hrs.

am i right ?

A psu is made to convert the 110-220v(the one that comes from your wall plug:)) to DC output voltages like +12,-12,+5.5..
these are called rails,,
So, get a PSU which gives the correct amount of A to the rails with respect to the computer..

For example a 9600gt requires 18A on 12v rail(not sure about figures)..
so if your PSU has it..it will work..

When you add all the A's respective to the V rails that gives you the total watt..

like 450w,550w..
so in a way this is input watt..
but what we get is less than that..
as nothing in the world is 100% efficient...
so efficiency is input/output x 100..
so you can find your output ..
although its much more complex.

I really dont know much and would appreciate if an expert could tell us all..

tajendra said:
there ws a three pin to six pin convertor cord with GPU. i just connet with that one.

and its around 10 days. except startup no other probs.

im going to change the PSU though.

how is 'FPS' brand, any idea.
im getting 500W PSU at RS. 3400

I hope this time i got the name right !!

to be honest..i have never heard of a brand called FPS..

tajendra said:
sory it is 'FSP' 500W
will it b good enough

No it wont because iam sure no one has heard of it .Gigabyte superb 460W or if crossfire in future a higher wattage like 550.

Corsair,Coolermaster,Seasonic ,tagan probably or gigabyte .Go for these brands.

Also,the flickering you say could be caused by the ATI driver ,i have it a bit but iam on linux so my problem could be different.
rajeev

some games with my ati 5770 crd are not working

im getting mesage that 'physicX.dll file on comp is missing'.

I had nvidia previously and i uninstalled all drivers including nvidia physix

wat i need to do now boz batman AA and Dragon Age are not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back