Graphic Cards Graphic card buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Graphic Card Advisor

I just recieved my HD 5770 :D

Thanks to everyone who has helped/adviced me!

Hope I don't have GSOD issues!

DarkAngel said:
Its fine to run a 9600GT on that PSU. Alternatively you can also get a HD4670 1GB DDR3 ~ 4.4k.

IIRC the 9600GT needs a PCI-E connector whereas the HD4670 doesn't need one.

But i would advice u ask ur friend to increase the budget slighltly and go for the HD5670 512MB GDDR5 ~ 5.2k. Its better than both the above mentioned cards.

@Dark Angel.Thanks.Finally convinced my friend to get a HD 5670.

Till what price range will the 512mb version be considered a good buy[otherwise he'll have to bargain:bleh:.]

BTW,is there any light DX11 title to test on this card.AFAIK AMD is not giving a free dx11 game for this card.

1. What is your budget? >>>> 7-8K
2. Current rig Specs
CPU >>>>> E5200
Motherboard >>>> G31
RAM >>>>> 4GB DDR2
Monitor >>>> 19'
3. Which PSU/SMPS will you be using? >>>> VX450
4. Primary use? (Casual gaming)
5. What resolution do you game on? >>> 1440x900
6. Interested in Crossfire/SLI? >>>> No
7. Open to both Nvidia/ATI? >>>>> Yes

I would prefer ATI coz they are DX11 ready and no worries for couple of years. Please give suggestions.

Crossx said:
1. What is your budget? >>>> 7-8K
2. Current rig Specs
CPU >>>>> E5200
Motherboard >>>> G31
RAM >>>>> 4GB DDR2
Monitor >>>> 19'
3. Which PSU/SMPS will you be using? >>>> VX450
4. Primary use? (Casual gaming)
5. What resolution do you game on? >>> 1440x900
6. Interested in Crossfire/SLI? >>>> No
7. Open to both Nvidia/ATI? >>>>> Yes

I would prefer ATI coz they are DX11 ready and no worries for couple of years. Please give suggestions.
Good ... if could increase ur buget slightly by 700 -800 ...then HD5770 is the best u can get ....:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

even i m goin to get one for me soon:D:D

^ i think OC will be required for the CPU so that there is no bottleneck ......:|

Can a 5850 be run with just one power connector.. i checked many forums and power consumption at stress test is around 150w only...

BTW wouldnt it be nice if AMD released a slightly downclocked version of 5850 which has only one 6 pin connector on the PCB... something like a 4850.. isnt the pcb upgrade for more power lanes is what causes 4870's cost to be 30% more than 4850?????

I have a 9600GT which i am planning to gift to my poor cousin so I shall be needing a new GFX Card .

Budget - Rs 7000

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz

Motherboard - Gigabyte G31m-S2L

RAM - Kingston 4GB DDR2 RAM

Monitor - SONY SDM 74 17' Monitor ( Expect it to be replaced with a 24 inch Dell or Samsung Monitor within 2 weeks)

PSU - Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 460W

Primary use - I dont use my machine for Gaming, its used mainly for for some Maya rendering, Editing & Compositing.

What resolution do you game on - Currently its 1280x1024 but do take 1280x1920 into consideration once the new Monitors arrive

Interested in Crossfire/SLI - Nope

Open to both Nvidia/ATI? - Yeah sure

So fellas im looking forward to some good suggestions :hap2:

Zero Cool said:
I have a 9600GT which i am planning to gift to my poor cousin so I shall be needing a new GFX Card .
Budget - Rs 7000
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz
Motherboard - Gigabyte G31m-S2L
Monitor - SONY SDM 74 17' Monitor ( Expect it to be replaced with a 24 inch Dell or Samsung Monitor within 2 weeks)
PSU - Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 460W
Primary use - I dont use my machine for Gaming, its used mainly for for some Maya rendering, Editing & Compositing.
What resolution do you game on - Currently its 1280x1024 but do take 1280x1920 into consideration once the new Monitors arrive
Interested in Crossfire/SLI - Nope
Open to both Nvidia/ATI? - Yeah sure
So fellas im looking forward to some good suggestions :hap2:
if cud hike ur budget by 1-1.5 K then HD 5770 is really good choice considering your PSU, its power efficient and good performer too

What is your budget?-->5K (max)

Current rig Specs-->

I've got a branded system(HCL's busybee, got in 2007)

CPU -->Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz

Motherboard--> Asus P5B-TMX-GB-SI (946GZ chipset)

RAM -->3GB

Monitor--> HCL 17" (4:3)

Which PSU/SMPS will you be using? -->Don't know the brand, got it with the main system.(its 300W)

Primary use?-->casual gaming,movies

What resolution do you game on?-->Min of 1024 x 768, max 1280 x 1024

Interested in Crossfire/SLI?

currently no, but may be in future when i'll completely upgrade the system(may be next year)

Open to both Nvidia/ATI?

yes

Please suggest the one which doesn't consume much power and doesn't create a lot of heat as my cabinet is small(i think micro atx).

Also, the card will be used at its peak for just 2 months due to my holidays,after that just the normal routine of 1-2 hours daily.)

One more thing, i'm currently using my friend's 8600GT in this system and use to game daily for 4-5 hours while the system run daily for 10-12 hours.No problems found while running 8600GT on 300W psu but if PSU upgrade is necessary, then i can consider buying a Gigabyte 400W or CM 400W(not included in the above mentioned budget) as they won't hit much on my pocket.

Hey Guys

I am thinking of upgrading my system to a gaming station (after 6 years of lapse - finally decided I need the time off).

I would want to know what is the best possible graphics card for my HW and limited gaming needs (racing sims, fighting games, etc)

Budget - 5-8k
CPU - AMD 7750 black (2.7 Ghz) - stock
Motherboard - Asus m3n78em
Monitor - Panasonic pv8 720p (1280x720) - I would prefer this instead of a monitor. Will use a xbox gamepad for gmaing - mostly racing and flight sims.
PSU - Upgrade required (sugestions welcome)
Primary use - Was a HTPC - decided to go all out and turn it into a gaming rig cum HTPC
Interested in Crossfire/SLI - Not possibel with my HW (mobo)
Open to both Nvidia/ATI? - ATI preferred though I am a nvidia fan. Would like the bitstream feature of Raedon 5xxx series.

Thanks.

starky said:
Hey Guys

I am thinking of upgrading my system to a gaming station (after 6 years of lapse - finally decided I need the time off).

I would want to know what is the best possible graphics card for my HW and limited gaming needs (racing sims, fighting games, etc)

Budget - 5-8k
CPU - AMD 7750 black (2.7 Ghz) - stock
Motherboard - Asus m3n78em
Monitor - Panasonic pv8 720p (1280x720) - I would prefer this instead of a monitor. Will use a xbox gamepad for gmaing - mostly racing and flight sims.
PSU - Upgrade required (sugestions welcome)
Primary use - Was a HTPC - decided to go all out and turn it into a gaming rig cum HTPC
Interested in Crossfire/SLI - Not possibel with my HW (mobo)
Open to both Nvidia/ATI? - ATI preferred though I am a nvidia fan. Would like the bitstream feature of Raedon 5xxx series.

Thanks.
For that resoulution a HD5670 512MB GDDR5 ~ 5.4k or a HD4770 512MB GDDR5 ~ 6K will do fine for most games.

Both cards have low power consumption.(As both are 40nm fab)
HD5670~65w
HD4770~85w

THe HD5670 will complement your HTPC setup very well. For PSU get a Corsair CX400 ~ 2.7k.
A Corsair VX450~3.75k will give you more upgrade space and also extra 2 yrs warranty when compared to the CX400

DarkAngel said:
For that resoulution a HD5670 512MB GDDR5 ~ 5.4k or a HD4770 512MB GDDR5 ~ 6K will do fine for most games.

Both cards have low power consumption.(As both are 40nm fab)
HD5670~65w
HD4770~85w

THe HD5670 will complement your HTPC setup very well. For PSU get a Corsair CX400 ~ 2.7k.
A Corsair VX450~3.75k will give you more upgrade space and also extra 2 yrs warranty when compared to the CX400
Thanks man - both for the grpahics card and the powerbox suggestion.

pavasedge said:
Ragzdiablo first post of this thread needs to be updated with ATI HD 5XXX series.
Hey..
i thought about that too..
left the moderator a message too...
i cant edit it myself..the post can be edited only till some time..
so the moderator has to do it..

will leave him a PM again..
thanks for reminding..

harpreet89 said:
What is your budget?-->5K (max)

Current rig Specs-->
I've got a branded system(HCL's busybee, got in 2007)
CPU -->Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz
Motherboard--> Asus P5B-TMX-GB-SI (946GZ chipset)
RAM -->3GB
Monitor--> HCL 17" (4:3)
Which PSU/SMPS will you be using? -->Don't know the brand, got it with the main system.(its 300W)
Primary use?-->casual gaming,movies
What resolution do you game on?-->Min of 1024 x 768, max 1280 x 1024
Interested in Crossfire/SLI?
currently no, but may be in future when i'll completely upgrade the system(may be next year)
Open to both Nvidia/ATI?
yes

Please suggest the one which doesn't consume much power and doesn't create a lot of heat as my cabinet is small(i think micro atx).
Also, the card will be used at its peak for just 2 months due to my holidays,after that just the normal routine of 1-2 hours daily.)

One more thing, i'm currently using my friend's 8600GT in this system and use to game daily for 4-5 hours while the system run daily for 10-12 hours.No problems found while running 8600GT on 300W psu but if PSU upgrade is necessary, then i can consider buying a Gigabyte 400W or CM 400W(not included in the above mentioned budget) as they won't hit much on my pocket.
^^^^bump..please help guys..
i'm considering ATI 4670HD or 5570HD.Is this card a fine option or i should consider any other option.
Waiting for reply...

hy bro,

im concerned about my 5770s temps, at idle its 44~46'c and at load 71~73'c, my clock speeds are GPU - 860mhz and memory - 1200mhz, are these temps ok ?

if not what is solution to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back