Graphic Cards Graphic card buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Graphic Card Advisor

zopeon said:
Hi,
I have an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ with Krypton C18G400 Mobob with 350W SMPS and 1GB Mem. I am looking for an AGP GPU to play FEAR n NFS Carbon n newer games? I was thinking of AGP 4650 but couldnt find it in India. Other option could be HD 3650 ? I hope my PC wont be the bottleneck. I could play AOE3 with my current rig at 1024 x 768 with other settings unchanged. I am looking for something around Rs 6 to 8K for GPU, Ill invest in PSU if required but not preferable. I dont mind playing game at normal or low res. (I have 20inch LCD but I dont thing I can satisfy it with AGP!)
Thanks

I would really like to suggest that instead of spending 8k on a new agp ..you should collect more and get a new basic gaming pc...although you may have to wait for it.,,it will be worth it.

But since you asked about a agp card.
Here are my suggestions.

Get a Powercolour or HIS HD4670 AGP card from amazon via KMD,,
You can use the 10% offer if you purchase it before iwali..:eek:hyeah:
It will cost you around 7k

Since you havnt mentioned your brand of PSU,
assuming its a local one.
I would suggest you to go with a zebronics pro power 360w.

1. My budget is 7-7.5k.

2. Current Rig Specs:-

CPU: Intel P4 524(3.06Ghz)

Mobo: Intel D101GGC

RAM: 2x1GB DDR1(400Mhz)

Monitor: Dell E1909W(19")

3. PSU: GlacialStars GS-500A(500W)

4. My primary use is Medicore Gaming.

5. 1440x900

6. Not interested in Crossfire/SLI.

7. Yeah! Open to both Nvidia/ATI.

@ragzdiablo

actually this post was for you :) Sorry, forgot to add @ragzdiablo :)

j1n M@tt said:
Add Sapphire HD4550 512MB GDDR3 @2.9k to your list. It is a decent entry level grfx card and better than 9500GT, and also good for HTPC setup.

ragzdiablo said:
AFAIK..it wont work..
the cards need to be of same series..
crossfire of HD3870 with HD4870 doesnt work..
but if we replace the HD3870 with a HD4850..it works..

Have you tried that combination in person? AFAIK, except for the ancient ATI cards (2900XT and backwards i.e), most cards can be clubbed without a problem. A 4870 would flawlessly work with a 5870 but not a good move for the reason you've mentioned plus compatibility issues with some applications including games.

When 2 unidentical cards are put up in crossfire, ATI CCC shows up a message indicating 2 unidentical cards have been clubbed in crossfire and crossfire has been enabled.

The fact that the higher card would decrease its performance to the level of the lower of the cards in CF to work in tandem, is an ancient concept. Present gen crossfire doesn't work that way.

@ashish: 7.5k should get you a HD4850. Try sourcing one with a dual slot cooler.

Gannu said:
Have you tried that combination in person? AFAIK, except for the ancient ATI cards (2900XT and backwards i.e), most cards can be clubbed without a problem. A 4870 would flawlessly work with a 5870 but not a good move for the reason you've mentioned plus compatibility issues with some applications including games.

When 2 unidentical cards are put up in crossfire, ATI CCC shows up a message indicating 2 unidentical cards have been clubbed in crossfire and crossfire has been enabled.

The fact that the higher card would decrease its performance to the level of the lower of the cards in CF to work in tandem, is an ancient concept. Present gen crossfire doesn't work that way.

@ashish: 7.5k should get you a HD4850. Try sourcing one with a dual slot cooler.

No, I havnt tried the setup my self.
But one of a TE member, named extreme boy tried it..
It did not work.

ashish21099 said:
1. My budget is 7-7.5k.

2. Current Rig Specs:-
CPU: Intel P4 524(3.06Ghz)
Mobo: Intel D101GGC
RAM: 2x1GB DDR1(400Mhz)
Monitor: Dell E1909W(19")

3. PSU: GlacialStars GS-500A(500W)

4. My primary use is Medicore Gaming.

5. 1440x900

6. Not interested in Crossfire/SLI.

7. Yeah! Open to both Nvidia/ATI.

Go for an ATI RADEON HD4850..
It is advisable to upgrade your proccy and motherboard.
It is going to bottleneck the card.

Please give me some good advice for my gfx card. i have-:

1. My budget is max. 6000 bucks.
2. I have Intel Pentium D 3.0GHz proccy and gigabyte g31 chipset motherboard, 1.5GB of DDR2 667MHz RAM, 18.5" of LCD monitor.
3. I have Corsair VX450W PSU.
4. My usage is casual gaming i like games like racing genre and RPG`s(i.e. NFS, GTA series, Crysis) and also watch movies.
5. i like to play at 1024*768 ++ resolution.
6. no currently i am not interested in SLI/Crossfire because my rig needs serious updating related to this.
7. yes i am open to both but my first preference is Nvidia.:)

viva1986 said:
Please give me some good advice for my gfx card. i have-:

1. My budget is max. 6000 bucks.
2. I have Intel Pentium D 3.0GHz proccy and gigabyte g31 chipset motherboard, 1.5GB of DDR2 667MHz RAM, 18.5" of LCD monitor.
3. I have Corsair VX450W PSU.
4. My usage is casual gaming i like games like racing genre and RPG`s(i.e. NFS, GTA series, Crysis) and also watch movies.
5. i like to play at 1024*768 ++ resolution.
6. no currently i am not interested in SLI/Crossfire because my rig needs serious updating related to this.
7. yes i am open to both but my first preference is Nvidia.:)
I would like to suggest a
Powercolour HD4850 ~ RS.6600

but since your max. budget is RS.6000
Your only option is a

ZOTAC 9800gt ~ RS.6000

I highly recommend you to add 600rs and get a HD4850.

ok thx i choose zotac 9800gt for myself. is there any performance difference in between 9800gt and 4850

viva1986 said:
ok thx i choose zotac 9800gt for myself. is there any performance difference in between 9800gt and 4850

Yes, There is noticeable difference in performance..

actually HD4850 is compared with 9800gt's big brother 9800GTX, which is now called GTS250..

I wanted to ask, can you wait to buy graphics card for a month, the Radeon HD5750 and HD5670 are due to be out soon, they will be launched at 6k-10k market...
they will give superior performance than existing cards and still, even if they are out of your range the prices of current cards will fall down.

If you cannot wait,
HD4850(if you can add the extra 600-700)
9800gt(if 6k is the maxed out budget)

diablo,

this on behalf of a friend

needs a gfx for about 5k, + or - about .5k. hes using a local psu and may upgrade to a cm extreme 600 or a seasonic 380 in the next month or so.

he uses a 19" monitor so resolution is 1440*900, he uses it to watch HD videos and of course gaming.

what does he get?

^^^^^i queried last week at NP in delhi abput Zotac 9800GT and it is available at 6K for 512MB version and 6.6K for 1GB version.

wingmysoul said:
diablo,

this on behalf of a friend

needs a gfx for about 5k, + or - about .5k. hes using a local psu and may upgrade to a cm extreme 600 or a seasonic 380 in the next month or so.

he uses a 19" monitor so resolution is 1440*900, he uses it to watch HD videos and of course gaming.

what does he get?

Get the 9800gt 512mb GDDR3 ver,
Should cost you around 5.5k depending on location.

But ask him not to plug it in with the local PSU, ask him to wait till he gets a new PSU,
also i suggest the Seasonic 380w to CM extreme 600.

Qams said:
where is HD4770?? the cheap & Best performer comparable to HD5750

Although the HD4770 consumes lesser power and lesser heat is dissipated, the HD4850 is cheaper and more powerful.So people but that instead.
So, the HD4770 is in very low selling state now..

viva1986 said:
^^^^^i queried last week at NP in delhi abput Zotac 9800GT and it is available at 6K for 512MB version and 6.6K for 1GB version.

Primeabgb.com sells Zotac 9800GT for 5.4k
Ask SMC at nehru place to reduce price. Negotiate.

sato1986 said:

The Palit one may be more cheaper, but Zotac is advisable..

sato1986 said:

but these are also the prices from aditya infotech which is the importer of zotac in india. and also i checked the prices on techshop.in and there the prices of zotac 9800gt are bit higher than local market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back