have questions on HTC Legend? Ask here!

desiibond

Skilled
Hi fellow TEians,

I got this beauty yesterday and going through the UI etc. If you are thinking of purchase and have any doubts regarding the phone, let me know.

I heard that Android does not allow installing apps on the SD card and you have to use the astro tool to put the apk files onto the card and keep installing and uninstalling applications when you need and dont need them, Isnt that a hassle?

How are the games on the phone?

red dragon said:
Congrats mate,did not know you bought it.How do you rate it against milestone?

Thank you :)

not sure if I can compare this with milestone. I do had a live demo of Milestone before getting this. If I had 5k more bucks and interest in hard keypad, I would've gone for Milestone. In every feature except UI and display quality, Milestone scores over Legend. The ease with which you can do things (thanks to Sense UI) is just amazing.

orangewrath said:
I heard that Android does not allow installing apps on the SD card and you have to use the astro tool to put the apk files onto the card and keep installing and uninstalling applications when you need and dont need them, Isnt that a hassle?

How are the games on the phone?

yes. right now, all the apps need to be installed to phone's memory. And I don't think there is any app that can move apps to SD card in 2.1. From what I heard, Android 2.2 will allow apps to be installed in memory card. Most of the apps are less than an Mb in size so it never was a problem for me.

Games: nothing much here. I never really cared to install games on this phone. tried Labyrinth, raging thunder, sudoku games. No lag at all.

Checksum said:
Any idea when Froyo will be offered for the Legend? I'm planning to get it, but only after Android 2.2 update

let Froyo come out first. And by that time, you may see newer set of devices from HTC and Samsung that Legend may become legend :)

The Android 2.2 Froyo was announced just yesterday, but many users are already wondering if they will get the upgrade. Well, HTC is the first to shed some light about that and the news is good.

According to their official statement, most of the HTC Androids released in 2010 will be updated to Froyo before the end of the year. For now the confirmed devices include Desire, Droid Incredible, Evo 4G and MyTouch Slide.

We hope HTC Legend and Hero will also make it on that list, even though most Hero units are still stuck on 1.5.

Another certain thing is that T-Mobile G1 and HTC Dream won't get Froyo because their ROM is too small to acommodate the new OS.

We bet the first updated device will be Google Nexus One, so this fella doesn't need any official statement at all.

All updates should be released in the second half of this year but that's as specific as it gets.

All the latest HTC Android phones will get the Froyo treatment - GSMArena.com news

desiibond said:
Price: 24k including tax (2gig memory card included)

Vector Telesolutions Pvt. Ltd.

No.117, Industrial Layout, 100ft Road,

Koramangala, Bangalore.

Ph: 080 65590888
After a lot of research and considering advice from members TE, I decided upon the HTC Legend (just the youtbe video's of the interface are so amazing)

I called the dealer you mentioned, he gave me a quote of 22.6K over the phone but hinted that he may reduce it, what price should I settle for?

I ll be getting it probably in 2-3 weeks as I only have half the money now.

Any idea when the desire is coming to India and if the Legend's price will reduce when it does?

Edit : Desire or Legend?

Legend looks great but desire got bigger screen memory and processing,

Is the Legend's processor adequate? Is it slow at times?

IMHO, Desire should be a better (and safer) choice than Legend.
Reason is simple - who knows what kind of processing power would Froyo demand as apps heap up? It would not be unreasonable to spend an extra 5k to ensure that our substantial investment would not be left lacking for power if HTC decides in its own sweet time to upgrade the Legend's eclair to froyo?!

I have an question for Desiibond.

How does the screen fare in bright mid-day sunlight? Do I have to shade the screen and stare for a few secs? Or is it passably readable?

Thank you.

laxmin said:

Reason is simple - who knows what kind of processing power would Froyo demand as apps heap up? It would not be unreasonable to spend an extra 5k to ensure that our substantial investment would not be left lacking for power if HTC decides in its own sweet time to upgrade the Legend's eclair to froyo?!

Yeah logically thinking the Desire is a much better option but the Legend looks so amazing, my heart says go for the Legend!

What about the battery life. Everyone sweeps that issue under the carpet overshadowed by the great features and body. It seems Legend does not even last a day with Friendstream online. GPRS use has a serious impact I guess.

laxmin said:

I have an question for Desiibond.

How does the screen fare in bright mid-day sunlight? Do I have to shade the screen and stare for a few secs? Or is it passably readable?

Thank you.
sorry. was in my Native (with limited connectivity).

AMOLED, in general, suffers in direct sunlight. It's not just Legend. Any AMOLED device will not be comfortable in direct sunlight. I usually cover the display with one hand and use it.

Renegade said:
What about the battery life. Everyone sweeps that issue under the carpet overshadowed by the great features and body. It seems Legend does not even last a day with Friendstream online. GPRS use has a serious impact I guess.
hmm. isn't it the same thing for most big screen phones. I never keep the friend stream on. In does eat up battery a lot. Instead, I keep apps like twidroid, facebook and define update intervals. This way, I get good battery (atleast till end of day) and also get the updates regularly. But I do keep email app on all the time.

orangewrath said:
Yeah logically thinking the Desire is a much better option but the Legend looks so amazing, my heart says go for the Legend!
Legend is just superb but if one has used a 3.5" display earlier, it's better to go for Desire as 3.2" may feel smaller. I do feel when I use ipod touch for some time and move to Legend. If moving from otehr 3.2" display or smaller phones, Legend will feel truly Legendary :)

i got this phone today. positive impressions for the most part but i still haven't gotten a hang of Android. what i've noticed is sometimes the UI feels laggy but other times it's really smooth. any idea if it's because of something i'm doing? i haven't installed anything, it's straight out of the box.

also, how do you lock the screen and quit applications completely? :S

download application "Advanced Task Killer". even by default there are many apps running like mail, calendar, friends stream, twitter, facebook etc. install the app and kill the apps that you don't use regularly.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

also, if you can post a snapshot of adv task killer with the list of apps running, I can suggest you some alternatives

nope. used to get slow when I used to use all those HTC apps like Friend stream, peep etc. Now, am using 3rd party apps and they are much better. Also, don't keep too many apps open as I said earlier. the only lag I feel is with browser's keypad. everything else is snappy.

Okay. My frind got this phone and when we keep the home screen button pressed it shows a list of apps, now does this list show the number of apps running or were they the most recent apps ?

Back