have questions on HTC Legend? Ask here!

desiibond

Skilled
Hi fellow TEians,

I got this beauty yesterday and going through the UI etc. If you are thinking of purchase and have any doubts regarding the phone, let me know.

Has to be the recent app list, because the apps show up over there even if we kill it using task manager.

@desiibond - what is the video resolution for the converted videos? Also is there any app which would play avi straight (apart from the one which allows till 2 mins for free)

desiibond said:
that the list of apps running in the background.

Renegade said:
That 'beep' feature is enabled by default. I dont htink it can even be switched off unless you switch off call waiting altogether.
I think thats the most recent apps.

ah yes. sorry. got consused. yes. it's recent apps list.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

junk_qwe said:
Has to be the recent app list, because the apps show up over there even if we kill it using task manager.

@desiibond - what is the video resolution for the converted videos? Also is there any app which would play avi straight (apart from the one which allows till 2 mins for free)
resolutionf of videos should be 320 X 480

This should help you : How to convert videos and transfer them to the HTC Legend - Know Your Cell

unfortunately there is no app that can play avi files on Legend. Am eagerly waiting for one.

desiibond said:
hmm. isn't it the same thing for most big screen phones. I never keep the friend stream on. In does eat up battery a lot. Instead, I keep apps like twidroid, facebook and define update intervals. This way, I get good battery (atleast till end of day) and also get the updates regularly. But I do keep email app on all the time.

I think its got to do with the AMOLED screen it utilises more power then standard LED ones...

Aces170 said:
I think its got to do with the AMOLED screen it utilises more power then standard LED ones...
Active-matrix OLED (Active-matrix organic light-emitting diode or AMOLED displays fabricated on flexible plastic substrates have the following advantages:[6]

* Thin, lightweight and rugged

* Lower-power, superior image quality, and low cost compared to current LCDs

* Rollable display to tuck away when not in use

Everyone knows AMOLED gives better battery life.

Source : Organic LED - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^ Hmm, I was just reading HTC's Wildfire review today at:

HTC Wildfire review -- Engadget

Where the following was mentioned..

Despite the list of issues, we managed to get almost twelve hours of battery life on just 3G data connection, while enjoying the occasional music, photo-snapping, video recording, Twitter, FriendStream, and web browsing. Pretty impressive considering we only got about eight to ten hours on our Legend (also donning a 1,300mAh battery but with a newer and supposedly more efficient CPU) -- perhaps HTC's AMOLED screens do suck up a fair bit more juice than LCDs.

Aces170 said:
I haven't judged, but would you be having theories on the lower battery life, on a phone which has a more efficient CPU? Or maybe Engadget had a one off experience.
if you check the specs, HTC has rated "Up to 440 h (2G) / Up to 560 h (3G)" talktime for Legend and "Up to 480 h (2G) / Up to 690 h (3G)" for Wildfire. It can be due to various reasons and not to forget the higher display resolution which takes just a bit more processing power (not sure if higher resolution results in lower battery life).

Hey, I've been having some weird problem with the Legend, I have a Vodafone connection with GPRS enabled, I'm able to browse the internet via GPRS but the other applications that use the internet like Weather, Peep and the News application dont work with the GPRS, but work perfectly fine with Wifi, any idea what the problem here is?

I have enabled mobile data network and also enabled the "always-on mobile data" option too.

orangewrath said:
Hey, I've been having some weird problem with the Legend, I have a Vodafone connection with GPRS enabled, I'm able to browse the internet via GPRS but the other applications that use the internet like Weather, Peep and the News application dont work with the GPRS, but work perfectly fine with Wifi, any idea what the problem here is?

I have enabled mobile data network and also enabled the "always-on mobile data" option too.
hmm. can I borrow 1 or 2 days time. I am currently using Airtel's EDGE. My friend has Vodafone SIM with GPRS. WIll check and let you know. Maybe maybe they are not getting the data fast. how about apps like twidroid, mail, google reader?

I would like to know about GPS navigation for android. I see that there are a few paid options like CoPilot, Sygic mobile etc but how good are they for India?

I am currently used to Ovi Maps with lifetime navigation and it is decent for India if not amazing. Any comparable or better Navigation app for android? Offline maps is critical for me...

sagarahuja said:
How many messages can this phone store, without slowing down?
currently my phone has 300+ messages. Since Android does threaded messaging, the messaging app need not scroll through all the messages every time. Also, apps like handcent SMS are faster than the native messaging app.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

vpraveenis said:
I would like to know about GPS navigation for android. I see that there are a few paid options like CoPilot, Sygic mobile etc but how good are they for India?

I am currently used to Ovi Maps with lifetime navigation and it is decent for India if not amazing. Any comparable or better Navigation app for android? Offline maps is critical for me...
From the beginning, I use Google Maps (uses EDGE) and coupled with FourSquare app, I get some really good help. Sygic mobile costs 50$ which is damn heavy and I would rather use GPRS with Google Maps than paying 2500 bucks for navigation.

Indian Android store doesn't list any paid apps. It only has free apps.

@desiibond

Will be great if you can post some reviews on gaming on legend

1. 3D games - NOVA, Hero of Sparta, Asphalt Racing, Raging thunder etc....

2. Game Emulators

Have you tried the trial versions??

Also on Divx Playback. RockPlayerBase released a public beta.. Were you able to test with it??

orangewrath said:

This is because you need to have vodafone mobile connect and not gprs for the applications to work.

vpraveenis said:
@desiibond

Will be great if you can post some reviews on gaming on legend

1. 3D games - NOVA, Hero of Sparta, Asphalt Racing, Raging thunder etc....

2. Game Emulators

Have you tried the trial versions??

Also on Divx Playback. RockPlayerBase released a public beta.. Were you able to test with it??
sure mate. will try as soon as I have a bit of free time. first, let me try RockPlayerBase.

Back