HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

Gannu said:
^Does the Panasonic displays play .mkv content over USB?

Their 3 yr. warranty however is a definite plus!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

SPVA panel AFAIK.

How did you conclude that? Did you play the file on a system connected to a proper 5.1 sound system via coaxial/optical out? Almost all mkv files (popularly referred to as HD rips) have the AC3/Dolby D or DTS track in them. I haven't by far come across a file that has a stereo track!

You will definitely benefit from that Onkyo system.

i had played them on my creative 4.1 speaker set.

The back channels did not work.

Also their file size is lower in the range of 500mb to max 1.5gb for a 1080p rip.

So had this doubt.

I had to put my speakers in stereo mode with all front and back channels to behave as front speakers to get audio from all channels :S

log from a br rip

Complete name : Munich_2005_BRRip_720p_750MB.mkv

Format : Matroska

File size : 799 MiB

Duration : 2h 38mn

Overall bit rate : 703 Kbps

Encoded date : UTC 2010-10-06 17:42:08

Writing application : mkvmerge v4.0.0 ('The Stars were mine') built on Jun 6 2010 16:18:42

Writing library : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0

Video

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High@L4.0

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames : 8 frames

Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@4.0

Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Nominal bit rate : 664 Kbps

Width : 1 280 pixels

Height : 544 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 2.35

Frame rate : 23.976 fps

Resolution : 24 bits

Colorimetry : 4:2:0

Scan type : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.040

Title :

Writing library : x264 core 98 r1649 20cbe10

Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=24 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / weightp=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=664 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio

ID : 2

Format : AAC

Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec

Format version : Version 4

Format profile : LC

Format settings, SBR : Yes

Format settings, PS : No

Codec ID : A_AAC

Channel(s) : 2 channels

Channel positions : L R

Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Resolution : 16 bits

Title :

Text

ID : 3

Format : UTF-8

Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8

Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text

Title :
:S

Philips has no ties with samsung,they use mostly lg IPS panel in their 42" or CMO panels (SMVA).

Those looking for max video play back stick with samsung or lg,in the sony only the 2011 models base models which have BE3 picture processing will play all video formats.
Models based on X-reality processor won't play all formats.

As far as samsung those looking for 40" D550, most showrooms where it was possible for me to see the sticker had a HN01.Yesterday i checked the service menu but couldn't confirm what sticker was behind,the service menu said it had a Chinlin or chimie panel both are SMVA.
The samsung 32" D580 had a SPVA panel checked in reliance digital .
The samsung 40" D5000 and D5500 comes with AMVA panel.

Note this are findings in bangalore as of today.

think123 said:
if someone wants to go with ips panel then go with panasonic because at present they are offering 3yrs warranty at no extra cost plus there new 2011 series is now available and supports usb playback and many more features which were lacking in 2010 models.

though va panels will give you good contrast.so better see both and decide.

So is the VT30 panel finally available here too?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

adder said:
Philips has no ties with samsung,they use mostly lg IPS panel in their 42" or CMO panels (SMVA).

Those looking for max video play back stick with samsung or lg,in the sony only the 2011 models base models which have BE3 picture processing will play all video formats.

Models based on X-reality processor won't play all formats.

As far as samsung those looking for 40" D550, most showrooms where it was possible for me to see the sticker had a HN01.Yesterday i checked the service menu but couldn't confirm what sticker was behind,the service menu said it had a Chinlin or chimie panel both are SMVA.

The samsung 32" D580 had a SPVA panel checked in reliance digital .

The samsung 40" D5000 and D5500 comes with AMVA panel.

Note this are findings in bangalore as of today.

So that means, if buying a Samsung one should take the TV which is available on display?

Gannu said:
^Does the Panasonic displays play .mkv content over USB?

Their 3 yr. warranty however is a definite plus!

yes it plays mkv and many other format but still samsung and lg have better support for playback as they support much more formats and will play almost any file.
so if playback is main thing from usb then one should go for samsung or lg.
if i will give score-- panasonic 3/5 ---samsung and lg 5/5

@ggt: I have explained it in several threads in the Audio Section. It is pretty simple - el cheapo 4.1/5.1 sets cannot decode Dolby D/DTS signals since they need to be transported to the decoders over spdif out i.e coaxial or toslink ports. On a PC, a sound card can do that and you can have the analog signals sent to the speakers.

If you have a 5.1 system that accepts these digital inputs, you can hear proper 5.1 sound not pseudo 5.1/4.1 sound which is nothing but the stereo being split up to those channels. You will hear only faint notes.

somu said:
So is the VT30 panel finally available here too?

no i meant there lcd lineup as i said for ips panel,plasma lineup still not fully available.

btw there vt series is just great as i can see from specs and reviews,panasonic is the world leader in plasma

Gannu said:
@ggt: I have explained it in several threads in the Audio Section. It is pretty simple - el cheapo 4.1/5.1 sets cannot decode Dolby D/DTS signals since they need to be transported to the decoders over spdif out i.e coaxial or toslink ports. On a PC, a sound card can do that and you can have the analog signals sent to the speakers.

If you have a 5.1 system that accepts these digital inputs, you can hear proper 5.1 sound not pseudo 5.1/4.1 sound which is nothing but the stereo being split up to those channels. You will hear only faint notes.
but you see in the .mkv file log the audio is mpeg 4 layer aac and not dts ac3.
So If the source does not have dolby how can it be reproduced by any sound card? :S
also isnt the real reason why the br rip are of more than 4gb in size is because of the higher bitrate of 5.1 audio.:S

^In that particular mkv file you have posted above, the stereo is 2 channel as suggested by the details and the codec is AAC. I saw Insidious yesterday which was a mere 2.5GB in size, 720p and had a Dolby D codec in it. If the rip had the original DTS-MA track, then the size of the file would've been probably some 25~30GB. The size of 800MB makes sense since it has the 2 channel AAC codec.

If all your hd rips have these audio specs, then the Onkyo system doesn't make much sense since it will again emulate 5.1 channel audio from stereo.

Almost all 300mbunited rips have similar config.
So it should be better if i opt for a 2.1 speaker or something like soundbar speakers right?

somu said:
So that means, if buying a Samsung one should take the TV which is available on display?

Well i would rather by a new one then a display piece.Some dealers allow people to open the box and check the sticker,but i doubt they will allow people to go to the service menu.

Samsung high end models series 7 and above however come with SPVA panels.

ggt said:
Almost all 300mbunited rips have similar config.

So it should be better if i opt for a 2.1 speaker or something like soundbar speakers right?

A good set of 2.1 speakers should be just fine. Avoid cheap soundbar modules. They don't have the effect of a proper soundbar which can emulate proper surround sound.

adder said:

Wrong! Every single philips TV other than the 32/37 inchers is a UV2A. There are no big philips tvs with CMO.

Chaos said:
Wrong! Every single philips TV other than the 32/37 inchers is a UV2A. There are no big philips tvs with CMO.

Actually incase you didn't know UV2A panels are available only in 40" size and not 42" size.

I specifically said 42" size.:p

Philips doesn't make any 42 inch TVs anymore after they parted ways with LG. Its all 40/46/55 now.

Chaos said:
Philips doesn't make any 42 inch TVs anymore after they parted ways with LG. Its all 40/46/55 now.
Nope philips hasn't parted with lg ,infact their flagship 3d tvs are now a part of LG passive 3d alliance and only LG makes those panels as of now.

You still don't find the 2011 models in india yet.In india only the series 6 has a 40" sharp panel rest of series has a 42" panel.

between a UA 40 D550 and LA40C650 which is most vfm?

considering both are 100hz panels.

my observation was the C650 looked much better with its performance.

price wise is the C650 @55k a good price ? worthy enough as its a generation old?

^Honestly there's not much difference between the D550 and C650 other than the cosmetic features such as the bezel appearances. Ethernet port connectivity is present on both models. And I haven't used the 100Hz motion interpolation tech. on my display by far (own a 40C630; the display isn't used for anything else other than gaming and viewing HD rips btw.)

Forgot to add, the C650 has a UCP (ultra clear panel) which is a glossy panel. So be prepared for proper lighting conditions in the room where you intend to place the display.

ggt said:
between a UA 40 D550 and LA40C650 which is most vfm?
considering both are 100hz panels.
my observation was the C650 looked much better with its performance.
price wise is the C650 @55k a good price ? worthy enough as its a generation old?

Chances of getting a SPVA panel are higher each series.55k prices is quite good,i remember Lord Nemsis got a better price for series 6 which is under clearance sale .

^ the thing was that the store was a samsung exclusive store.

price bargain was not much available there. (they were like you buying now so then lets talk)

i think the 100hz motion interpolation was on by default. because the same movie looked much smoother in transition on the C650.( i got the impression sometimes that video was on fast forward on play) :p

the UA D550 appeared similar to the LA 40 D550 with the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back