HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

ggt said:
More confusion :S
was checking out more stores came around a sony CX40 42 inch .
Tried to play the .mkv 1080p file of inception and it played fine.
I remember i tried the same file in the other store but it did not play the file :S.
Also noticed that the sony one has some motion lag as If i can see the ghosting in it.
So was it a defective piece or the BE3 engine at work :S.
Also here tried with the 42LGK430 the color reproduction was a bit neutral compared to samsung.
And i liked the overall feel for the LG.
I am not quite sure about the actual difference between the 430 and the 450.
Checked out the samsung LED 40D5000 and it had some backlight bleed at the edges.

Finally want to know any shops which can get me the best prices.
Will buy within a month.

The Sony 2011 models based on BE3 can play MKV formats it also accepts NTFS formated HDD.Only the new X-reality based tvs from CX520 all the way upto the flagship HX92x that can't play MKV.

samsung D550 is also a good choice.

Regarding colors they are so subjective and it depends on the settings.

^thanks.
What about the halo effect for the sony is it seen among all models or the one in display was the faulty one?
Also need suggestion for more shops to get the best deal near western suburbs in mumbai.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

really appreciate your inputs :)
so the halo effect seen is characteristic in all sony models or was it a faulty one?
Also would like to know of shops along western suburbs in mumbai where i can crack the best deal.

Well try cycling through the picture modes or set the sharpens down and turn off mpeg noise reduction,clear white,black corrector .the lcd at showroom are set in vivid mode and the backlight is usually set to high,so turn down the backlight.

Hi. Here is my list -

1. Budget - Up to Rs. 85,000

2. Viewing distance - 10-12 ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - LG DVD-player, Tata Sky (Non-HD at present), PS3/XBOX 360 in the future

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV - Only the best quality (Preferably 47" or above, but that might be getting over-optimistic given the quality parameter, I think)

5. Preference for brands - No preference in particular. Performance above all, but warranty options (if they differ between manufacturers) are a consideration

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? - Nope. I know it's considered by some as the more financially sensible choice, but the TV is going to be home all the time, and I'm not there for long periods of time in any given year. I need the set to be serviceable by my parents in my absence.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room - One big window behind the TV (will be covered with a curtain), and a good amount of diffused natural light coming from the kitchen window and bedroom/hallway.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. - I want to watch DVDs as they were meant to be watched, i.e. no fancy-pants frame-rate distortion crap (100Hz, 200Hz) etc. from the TV that converts the 24fps 'movie' look to something else. 3D is a non-starter for me.

Hello.

Planning to get a Full HD 32" back home for folks. Will be buying through my brother back home.

1. Budget : 30~35k

2. Viewing distance : 8~ 10 Feet

3. Sources/inputs : Tata Sky HD, Media players, PS3, Xbox 360
4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV : No preference, only concern is longevity & picture quality

5. Preference for brands : Samsung, sony. coz these are the widespread ones in trivandrum.. soo

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?: Nope.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room : It will be between drawing and dining room. there will be lighting. and there is a stone pond/natural sunlight kinda thing near.. so yea light will be there.. :D

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc: No idea. please suggest. Will prefer if i can connect this to my home network directly, or via PS3 Media server and connect my HDD's with different formats of video
My brother is doing the rounds. HE got some models like 32CX420, D550, D580. Any advice?

D550 looks good to me. fresh piece there. They said its something like VA panel?

And also for 2500, 2 yrs more with same warranty term. Good?

I would recommend a Sony 32 EX 520 or 500.

Imho, try to avoid Samsung panels, since it's pretty easy to get duped by the panel lottery system.

Also make sure that the extended warranty is from the manufacturer & not the store, coz otherwise it's useless.

If u want a long warranty, then go for Panasonic. They have 3 years warranty on their TVs.

They only got CX variants as of now. Will check for others.

comments about Samsung. VA panels is what they say. confirmed.

And warranty is from Samsung with same terms. specifically asked them.

EX is led and expensive. So not going for it anyways.

^^1.Do look at LG 32LK430 and 32LK450.Excellent alternatives to the Samsung C530.Any specific reasons for the experts not recommending these?

2.Also the Sony models mentioned above wont play all video formats via the USB slot.Correct me if i'm wrong.

1. The black/contrast levels for IPS panels aren't comparable to those offered by SPVA ones. Despite calibrating them i.e.

2. Correct. The ones sold in the grey market imported from Thailand/Sgp do AFAIK.

Yup, the IPS panels have been considerably improved over the years, but they still fall short of the VA panels.

Also, I prefer to use a HD media player, than using a TV for the same. It has much better compatibility with the various formats.

But i suppose you're better off with an IPS panel,rather than risking it with the dreaded Samsung panel lottery.

tufel said:
But i suppose you're better off with an IPS panel,rather than risking it with the dreaded Samsung panel lottery.

True that or spend a bit more and get a Sony.

But OP said that, the store has CONFIRMED a VA panel to his brother & also a 2 year manufacturer warranty.

^^What panel does the sony CX42 use?
I had a demo for a sony where the stupid retailer did not have a remote for a demo.
The D550 though shines in performance in all departments whereas the LGK430 had better sound output. The LG K450 is energy efficient i guess.
Also need some pointers for a decent 2.1 speakers to accompany with a 40 /42 inch HDTV.
The reason i am looking for a 2.1 speaker system is because all .mkv files i have are having only 2 channel in its audio.
So i guess a 5.1 onkyo would be a waste right.
So i was thinking instead of that i was thinking of a better output 2.0 or 2.1 speaker

if someone wants to go with ips panel then go with panasonic because at present they are offering 3yrs warranty at no extra cost plus there new 2011 series is now available and supports usb playback and many more features which were lacking in 2010 models.

though va panels will give you good contrast.so better see both and decide.

^Does the Panasonic displays play .mkv content over USB?

Their 3 yr. warranty however is a definite plus!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ggt said:
^^What panel does the sony CX42 use?

The reason i am looking for a 2.1 speaker system is because all .mkv files i have are having only 2 channel in its audio. So i guess a 5.1 onkyo would be a waste right.

SPVA panel AFAIK.

ggt said:
The reason i am looking for a 2.1 speaker system is because all .mkv files i have are having only 2 channel in its audio. So i guess a 5.1 onkyo would be a waste right.

How did you conclude that? Did you play the file on a system connected to a proper 5.1 sound system via coaxial/optical out? Almost all mkv files (popularly referred to as HD rips) have the AC3/Dolby D or DTS track in them. I haven't by far come across a file that has a stereo track!

You will definitely benefit from that Onkyo system.

Hey guys how about Philips 42 inch LCD Tv 5000 Series ... how do I know whether it is Spva??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back