HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

Gannu went to a nearby shop, again the price for the C530 was 34k and for the C550 was 36.9k

But the C550's looked way better, i dunno if it were their settings or what, but man it looked GOOD. So should i go for that? Is it's price okay? As it is anything above 30k i'm paying from my pocket... What'd'ya suggest?

^Stick to the C530 - at least the panel is a confirmed SPVA. I am not sure what panels ship with the C550. Besides, the C550 has jacked up contrast figures which is why it looks that way. Get the C530 and calibrate it. It would look great. :)

adder said:
Well a lcd with a matte screen is the best option for you in that budget.The EX400 and EX500 are within your budget .

Covering windows with curtains will make a big difference,but in my house i have windows facing East and west.So even with curtains the tvs ambient sensor boosts the backlight to defeat the glare.

You can get a decent tv for 40k if you buy in the grey market,the 40" EX400 i hear is available for as low as 38k in grey market.

You can also squeeze in a samsung 40" C530.

Do note that Sony will soon be replacing the EX400 with CX520 CCFL lcd and the EX520(led-lit) it has a new image processing and more features(usb playback,internet video,perhaps applications like opera browser,control tv with android phones).

The EX500 replacement will be a LED-lit model called EX720 which will be above your budget.

Samsung will also launch new tvs latter perhaps starting from May.
your'e right. this came now on their site: KDL-40EX520 : EX520 Series : BRAVIAâ„¢ LCD TV : Sony India

should i wait for prices of older models to decrease or buy now? also budget is near so expecting prices to dip due to duty cuts etc...

Any opinions on these 3 Gannu? [Budget was 65k, family wanted 47", just trying to make you remember my requirements]

Samsung LA46C550

LG 47LD460

Sony 46EX400

I haven't seen any of these personally, but I think my dad shortlisted these after visiting Croma/Reliance/Jumbo

^Get the 46EX400. I'm doubtful as to what panel you may end up getting for the Samsung display whereas you get a confirmed SPVA panel with the Sony. LG has the IPS panel so I'd avoid that considering movies and games benefit from the PQ and deep black levels of the SPVA panel.

Ambar said:
Any opinions on these 3 Gannu? [Budget was 65k, family wanted 47", just trying to make you remember my requirements]

Samsung LA46C550

LG 47LD460

Sony 46EX400

I haven't seen any of these personally, but I think my dad shortlisted these after visiting Croma/Reliance/Jumbo
If you want more better video format compatibility especially High end blu-ray rips, you should think of going for the Samsung. But heard the Sony Ex400's a great model for its price.

I am finally planning to go for a Full HD TV in the 46 to 50 inch range... and I am looking for suggestions for the same..
Here is the information.. Size is the main concern here ..I am not willing to go below 46 inch and it has to be Full HD
1. Budget : 1L (am willing to stretch a bit)

2. Viewing distance : 12-15 Feet

3. Sources/inputs : Tatasky HD, Gaming Console, DVD player and eventually a Blu-Ray player

4. Preference : Plasma or LED

5. Preference for brands : LG, Panasonic, Samsung

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market: No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room: Window facing the wall where the TV is going to be mounted but the Light can be controlled

8. Any other feature: 3D support not really a requirement, DLNA (would be good to have)

Kindly suggest me a good TV with the above requirements...
Thanks in advance... :)

^Panasonic Viera P50V20D. Look no further. Go to a showroom and demo the TV with the rest and you'll be SET!

PS: Must be a notch above your budget but that should hardly be a concern here given that you have a 1L budget.

^Thanks .. Will try to catch a demo of the same.. Any other TV, I could try to demo while I am at it ... LG plasmas are cheaper compared to the Panasonic ones.. Is the price difference visible in the picture quality?

Gannu bhai bought the Samsung LA32C530 :) It'll be delivered tomorrow... thanks a lot for the help.

Also one question, does it's USB support NTFS and Portable Hard Discs?

Got the LA40C630 delivered around 30mins back. It has SQ01 panel.

Thank you Gannu bhai, for your inputs regarding demo and fresh item, which I queried him PM way.

Here are a few things I remember which I went through before the scanning of channels on local cable starts.

I had only local cable plugged in, and switched on the power.

1. Asks for Language "English" will be default shown on screen. Few more Indian languages are also there.

2. Asks the region. "Asia/Europe" will be default. Other regions like America, Africa etc will be there.

3. Asks whether TV will be used for "Demo Use" or "Home Use"

4. Perhaps, after this scanning of cable channels starts. IIRC, either while scanning happening in background or after the channel appears, it asks to set Current Date time which can be skipped. Also few more items appear such as how to use component setup, which can be skipped.

Overall these things will appear in the Initial Setup phase, before you can watch the TV. Hence, maybe this can be used to judge whether the LCD, is a Demo piece or a Fresh one.

I may have jumbled up the numbering above, hence it may not be the proper sequence.

Update: All the above steps are in the Manual provided in the Initial Setup section. Got to know after reading couple of pages today morning. Hence, please keep the manual with you, when you are setting the TV.

Another risky way:

One can also put the LCD in Standby mode and press Info-Menu-Mute-Power on the remote subsequently within 3 secs, which brings up the Service Mode, and one can check the "Panel On Time (Hour)" which displays the time LCD has been switched on in hours. I would rather caution to control your itching fingers to press any other button on remote, which may screw up the setup. To exit press "Power" once again. This is just to check the LCD running time.

PS: I have not tried the risky way, hence it may or may not work. Please do search the interwebz for further information.

Here is a link which gives some info to reach the Service Menu - http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/samsung-tv-service-menu-codes-plasma-lcd-crt-rptv-t291.html

I hope the above information is useful.

^Another one saved from the panel lottery fuss. Hearty congrats. :)

@Aman: Congrats to you too! Yes it does support FAT32 and NTFS. :D

Gannu said:
@Aman: Congrats to you too! Yes it does support FAT32 and NTFS. :D
The shop owner almost begged me to get Sony NX500, and he was scaring me that no, a portable hard disc won't be able to run off a C530... Thanks anyways :) Bought for 34k.

Gannu said:
^Did you open the box and check what panel it is?
Tomorrow i'll go and will have to submit 2 documents and will get a sealed box.. you recommend me opening the box there?

^Upto you actually. Just test the display at the showroom (can as well be done at home). If you do, quickly note down the 15 digit serial number so as to ensure they do not change it later. Since the seal is broken, these buggers could do anything.

I am betting on a SPVA panel. Let's hope for the best. :)

Gannu said:
^Upto you actually. Just test the display at the showroom (can as well be done at home). If you do, quickly note down the 15 digit serial number so as to ensure they do not change it later. Since the seal is broken, these buggers could do anything.

I am betting on a SPVA panel. Let's hope for the best. :)
Yeah i'll do that :)

And i'm also hoping for a SQ01 or a SQ02.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back