HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

1. Budget - 45-50K

2. Viewing distance - 10 Ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc - HD Media player, Tata Sky HD+

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV - LED>LCD (No plasmas)

5. Preference for brands - Sony,Samsung,Panasonic

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? - Yes

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room - 2 Tubelights, 1 opp to the TV.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. - DLNA (3D not required)

Matte screen preferred.

think123 said:
^thanks,hoping someone could give a definite answer to this.
i asked this because i have a spare ups while i will have to buy a new stablizer for my lcd if ups has any kind of problem with lcd.

Most UPS out there including some expensive APC smart UPS only do AVR if the voltage goes above 250v or below 200v,where a stabilizer like V-guard crystal or digi series will not allow the voltage to go beyond 240v .The stabilizer can also function with low voltage as low as 120v where as a ups will function only till 160v,beyond that it goes to back up mode.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

greenlobster said:
1. Budget - 45-50K

2. Viewing distance - 10 Ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc - HD Media player, Tata Sky HD+

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV - LED>LCD (No plasmas)

5. Preference for brands - Sony,Samsung,Panasonic

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? - Yes

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room - 2 Tubelights, 1 opp to the TV.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. - DLNA (3D not required)

Matte screen preferred.

Since you are willing to buy from grey market,you can go with Sony 40EX520 should be within your budget.If you can find a samsung in grey you can also go with the 40D5500.
The sony has a matte screen.

ok guys at last i have a received full payment i made for lg 42ld460. i have 2 questions
1.now i want to buy a new lcd tv i decided to go for samsung 40d550 but after seeing the newly bought 32d5000 led tv which has CN01 panel
2.and also d5000 is switches off itself about 4-5 times a day. i changed the socket and also reconnected all the inputs but problem didnt solved.so what is the problem guys.
after experencing panel lottery and power issues i am confused whether to go for samsung or not. :-(

bsd said:
ok guys at last i have a received full payment i made for lg 42ld460. i have 2 questions
1.now i want to buy a new lcd tv i decided to go for samsung 40d550 but after seeing the newly bought 32d5000 led tv which has CN01 panel
2.and also d5000 is switches off itself about 4-5 times a day. i changed the socket and also reconnected all the inputs but problem didnt solved.so what is the problem guys.
after experencing panel lottery and power issues i am confused whether to go for samsung or not. :-(

somebody in avsforums mentioned the analogy for the samsung panels

S=Super
A= Average
C= Cr@p

do the math

one more complain regarding samsung,day after day complains are coming most for samsung????????

^^ that is for different versions of panels. which vary by serial numbers

SQ = S

AM =A

CN= C

they are different panels used in an LCD on samsung.

not only panel lottery but also power off and on issue. thats why i am not yet decided.
any sony 40cx420 users how is the sd quality in this lcd tv. and also whats the price you guys paid for it.

^ in mumbai the price for it was 51k officially.
i bet you can get it cheaper through grey market.

I am planning to buy led tv.

Initially I finalized on samsung UA40D6000SR but when I went in shop that guy told me manu things about LG 42lw5700.

According to him plus points of lg are
2d to 3d converter (i am not sure how much difference it will make later)
3d goggles do not require charging and do not use flicking unlike samsung .
lg gives 4 goggles with it while samsung gives 1.
LG is using new technology.
I got this on net
Samsung & LG Clash Over Active Shutter Vs FPR Passive 3D TV Technology
https://fpr3dtv.wordpress.com/tag/shutter-glasses/
but not sure how much it will help to decide.
for me
I didn't find much difference in picture quality on videocon HD dth. I am going to try with playing HD camcorder on both the tvs, set to factory settings. I need to test 3d picture quality of both.
Let me know any other way to test it.

If any one has inputs on picture quality please share.
People who bring 3d tv do they really watch that much contents on it ?
Can we have 2d to 3d external converter available? I don't know anything about this stuff.
Can we have 3d glasses which do not require charging for watching samsung 3d tv?
problem with LG is its 42'' and will look really big for my room. They don't have 40'' model in this series. Even 40'' will look bigger but I will leave option of wall mounting.

Most people i hear in the forums be it here or other countries who bought a 3dtv apart from the initial enthusiasm have their 3d goggles gathering dust.
3D still needs to improve from the current forum,while the future is passive it will be with out glasses.

As of today every company has proprietary glasses so it won't work with each.

adder said:
Most people i hear in the forums be it here or other countries who bought a 3dtv apart from the initial enthusiasm have their 3d goggles gathering dust.
3D still needs to improve from the current forum,while the future is passive it will be with out glasses.

As of today every company has proprietary glasses so it won't work with each.
So it means whatever current 3d technologies are there, they are not going to last longer. And people do not watch 3d contents later extensively.

If I am not so keen on 3d contents then is there any point going for series 6 led than series 5 lcd LA40D550K1R?
In case of samsung, can I ask dealer to give me tv made with specific panel ?

The series 6 has a lower power consumption due the LED light source,it also has frame insertion based motion enhancer+backlight scanning .
3d is still in its infancy we have to wait and watch,take for eg panasonic,samsung ,sony have formed the active 3d consoritum to have a common standard,while rival lg has toshiba,philips and so on.

samsung is also toying with the idea of passive 3d under joint partnership with another company.

Most dealers won't allow you to open the box and check for the panel.

adder said:
The series 6 has a lower power consumption due the LED light source,it also has frame insertion based motion enhancer+backlight scanning .

Are these factors decision makes to take led instead of lcd ?

What is ur stake on LG 3d led Vs samsung 3d led which is better in 3d as well as 2d aspect.

Also lg is claiming that it has full led. Is it really?

Re: The "Help me buy an HDTV" thread!

Went through the thread but didn't find any suggestions from the 2011 line-up of TVs. Please advice

1. Budget.
40-50k

2. Viewing distance.
13 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.
will be hooked to a computer. 70% usage watching downloaded movies. 20% usage web surfing. 10% for news channels via local cable

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.
40 or 42 inch LCD/LED (only because i'm told Plasmas won't work as computer monitors)

5. Preference for brands.
No particular preference

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?
yes

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.
tubelight is at the wall facing the TV

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.
only USB playback for as many video formats as possible. Particularly DON'T want 3D

so between the LG 42 LK430 and the LG LK 450 which one to go for?

prices @ CSD LG 42 LK 430 = 41,400

LG 42 LK 450 = 44,110

the 42LK 430 is the jazz one supposedly with better speakers.

got a quote for them for about 46K in retail stores.

i am not buying samsung for panel lottery an sony because there is no discount among any sources :mad:

tech1978 said:
Are these factors decision makes to take led instead of lcd ?
What is ur stake on LG 3d led Vs samsung 3d led which is better in 3d as well as 2d aspect.

Also lg is claiming that it has full led. Is it really?

Well for the 3d part i would go with the LG,but since the tv will most of the time be used for 2d i would go with samsung higher contrast and better image processing and its smart tv features and apps are more.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

naru80 said:
Went through the thread but didn't find any suggestions from the 2011 line-up of TVs. Please advice

1. Budget.
40-50k

2. Viewing distance.
13 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.
will be hooked to a computer. 70% usage watching downloaded movies. 20% usage web surfing. 10% for news channels via local cable

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.
40 or 42 inch LCD/LED (only because i'm told Plasmas won't work as computer monitors)

5. Preference for brands.
No particular preference

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?
yes

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.
tubelight is at the wall facing the TV

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.
only USB playback for as many video formats as possible. Particularly DON'T want 3D

sasmung D5500 in grey market for around 45k.

i have a noob question...

i always doubt bout originality of grey market hdtvs....

how can grey market lower so much price comparing showroom price??

how can sony.LG,samsung allow their products steal or imported from forgein without passing tight check at customs...??

how these grey market products selling at such a price??

adder said:
Well for the 3d part i would go with the LG,but since the tv will most of the time be used for 2d i would go with samsung higher contrast and better image processing and its smart tv features and apps are more.

In that case for 2d its better to settle down on samsung series 5 instead of series 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back