Video HDTV purchase from Bangkok

Re: LED TV from Bangkok

lll_aritra_lll said:
My cousin lives there, and when the LCD TVs are around 30k for a 21" or more, her husband bought a 32" full HD Sony LCD for 7k INR only. there is a sale hosted every year in the month of december, and there are killer deals

F**King hell. My friend's trip has been postponed to January. Curse you *Company's Name* :p (shouldnt say it openly :) )

Re: LED from Bangkok

Any update on the current prices of LED TV in Bangkok?
mohit1981 said:
Well,Bangkok is way cheaper than India for TVs. You may check Thailand Samsung or LG website, it will give you approx idea of the price. You may ask your friend to try Pantip plaza, Indra market, fortune or 3c store for best price. Your concern should not be Bangkok custom but Indian custom. In Thailand there is VAt return on many items which you can claim at airport at time of departure. There should not be any hassle there.

But once you reach India, custom people here will be eagerly waiting. They known most of the people who go to Thailand purchase LEDs etc.

I am also planning to go to Thailand somewhere next year. Can you please ask your friend to check for the dealer price of following models in Thailand. It will help me in comparing it with local gray market price :
1) LG: 42lw5700 and 47lw5700
2) Samsung: 42" and 46" series 6 and 7 price

On the positive side, now you have time to search for the best option you have within your budget. Never hurry while buying TVs :)

sharktale1212 said:
F**King hell. My friend's trip has been postponed to January. Curse you *Company's Name* :p (shouldnt say it openly :) )

I guess this is the discount season. Who willl provide discounts in January? My friend previously gone to Singapore and his luck was that there was a tech show going on there. He bought a Sony Bravia 46 incher with free home theater.

From which mall/ shop did you purchased the LED/ LCD. What deal did you get on Sony 46EX520 and Samsung UA46D5500?

When I was there last time I inquired about the TVs from Indra market and Pantip Plaza, but they said that it does carry international warranty! In my next trip I am looking forward to buy LG 47lw5700 (3D)..any idea on LG/ Samsung 3D TV prices?

jhononweed said:
Customs levy 36.05 % on value excess of 25K Rs .....getting a 40 Inch and above is worth buying from Bangkok as price difference is vast comparing with official Indian price of retailers.

So if LCD/LED from Bangkok cost's some one 40K Rs then the buyer need to pay 36.05% on (40K-25K Rs = 15K Rs ) and not one full price of 40K Rs.

I will advice buyers to go for Sony 46 Inch for LCD's and 40 Inch for LED's as they cost more in India......Custom duty wont be much considering price difference along with International Warranty.

Tip for buyers with luggage -Take a cab from Airport for 30 minute ride and land near Sukhumvit or Silom to shop( Malls are spread over very vast area so have ample time and courage to carry luggage ).Having spare day will be awesome as you wont need to do last minute panic buying and to dump yourself along with luggage,Book a cheap hotel or lodge ( Anything in range of 500-800 THB should be fine ).
Sony 40EX520 sells like Hot Cake in Bangkok and sellers provide some sweet deals over there....point to be taken for buying TV from Bangkok is that you should have atleast 5 hours to visit different shops/malls beside a bare minimum 4 hours for VAT collection as lines are big and its almost holiday season(X-mass)....buying from Bangkok is very time consuming if you don't know what you are looking for( Don't fall for catchy price tags on older models ) but buyer wont regret buying from there.

I got 3 Sets from Bangkok in time of mad flood's in two different visit's....2 Sony 46EX520 and Samsung UA46D5500.

Just came back from Bangkok yesterday.

Bought Samsung UA40D5500 in patnip plaza (best buy ) for 21000bhatt (35k) and with customs of 4k = 40k in total. Retails for 60k in flipkart. 1yr asian warranty available.

It was also available for 18k in another shop but i had already bought it.

If anyone needs any info let me know.

p.s - IF you find any Indians in Indra square avoid them like plague, most of them are crooks. Maybe not all of them, but its not worth the risk.

Just came back from Bangkok yesterday.

Bought Samsung UA40D5500 in patnip plaza (best buy ) for 21000bhatt (35k) and with customs of 4k = 40k in total. Retails for 60k in flipkart. 1yr asian warranty available.

It was also available for 18k in another shop but i had already bought it.

If anyone needs any info let me know.

p.s - IF you find any Indians in Indra square avoid them like plague, most of them are crooks. Maybe not all of them, but its not worth the risk.

Why was there so much difference of nearly 3K between same product. Secondly, does it has international warranty & how r the prices of USA compared to bangkok?

Received a couple of PM so I'm posting this here.

Regarding warranty:

AFAIK and as stated in this thread by others, both Samsung and Sony offer asian warranty. For my Samsung TV I had to register it at www.[b]samsung[/b].com/in/register/index.html

VAT refund:

Tourists are eligible for 7% VAT refund. At the shop they will give you a P.P 10 form which you have to get signed at the airport entrance. After that check in your luggage and after immigration clearance, they will give the refund to you in cash.

Indian customs:

If the total value < 25k, then nil. For anything above 25k, you have to pay 36%. Keep your bill handy (take multiple photocopies) otherwise the customs ppl will use their reference sheet which may be outdated.

Where to buy:

I found the cheapest place in pantip plaza. Best buy located on the right side is ok. I bought mine there for 21k (Samsung ua40d5500)

In the center of pantip plaza, there is a small stall (max 2 ppl can stand inside) who sells it much cheaper at 18k. I would recommend this shop over best buy. After all, they are all selling sealed boxes of the same tv with the same warranty and bill.

Shipping weight:

32inch Samsung tv weighs 11kg and 40" weights 17kg. Thai airways is quite lenient. My check in luggage was 25kgs and hand luggage was 15kgs
<
But don't stretch your luck too much.

Is it worth buying in Thailand?:

Yes, definitely.

For reference:

Samsung ua40d5500:

thailand+customs=32-35k (based on currency fluctuation and your bargaining skills at shop and customs)

flipkart=60k

samsung ua32d5000:

thailand=20-22k (no customs)

flipkart=40k

HTH.

Places to buy TV's in Bangkok.

Pantip plaza.

1.IT city ( top most floor )

Big supermarket store in pantip mall and it houses almost everything at reasonable prices.Gives very sweet deals/promotional offers.

Prices are fixed so expect no bargains as selling prices are often 5% less than nearest price in Pantip plaza for same items.Genuine sellers and retailers of electronics in Pantip mall.

2.Digital world ( ground floor - 2 shops )

This shop is co-owned by an Indian named Pandey( Pandey brother's ) and deals largely with Indian grey market dealers who visit his shop to pick up products at grey market prices, so right place to bargain but beware of Indian dealers as they might quote you different price than what they are buying so keep a tab of prices from other places to compare.

Samsung prices at this shop is tempting.

Caution- Do not hang around Indians at his shop.

3.Best buy ( first floor )

Sells limited TV sets from many company.

You will generally get a good prices as they tend to do " Clearance Sale " always.

Not much to bargain again here as prices are just too low for bargaining.

4.Stall Sellers ( ground floor )

Many and Many small stall can be seen when some one enter's Pantip plaza.Stall here sells from s/w's to TV's and laptop's.....prices varies from stall to stall.LG has a stall dedicated for its LED/LCD's and Samsung has for its Monitors/Laptop's.So look around for things and prices as products on sale changes on weekly basis.

Indira Mall

1.Shop at corner of ground floor.

Not a big shop to house all things but sells everything from Sony to Samsung.Expect good promotional products with great prices at this shop.This shop also sells some Hi-F- stuffs like AMP's and Speaker Driver's.

Prices are in normal range of Pantip plaza's.

Sutthisan Market.

This area of Bangkok falls on north of Siam/Silom Center and is easily accessed by Sky train.Houses some very good HiFi shops ans some big dealer showroom's.Prices can be a bit high and need bargaining.

Old Bangkok Area.

This place was flooded till December so have no idea about what shops are selling now, but it had soem very good Hifi dealers dealing in old/new stuff's back in pre flood time.

For Hi-Fi.

Pantip plaza - 4th floor.

Chinese owned shop selling top end stuffs in old and new.Do not expect price drop

Mall next to Pantip plaza.

This mall has many shops selling good stuffs but prices are high if some one is looking for cheap things.

Well that is that then regarding buying from Bangkok as far as i remember.Will post again if i find new shops or places in Bangkok.

Cheers !

Received a couple of PM so I'm posting this here.

Regarding warranty:

AFAIK and as stated in this thread by others, both Samsung and Sony offer asian warranty. For my Samsung TV I had to register it at www.[b]samsung[/b].com/in/register/index.html

VAT refund:

Tourists are eligible for 7% VAT refund. At the shop they will give you a P.P 10 form which you have to get signed at the airport entrance. After that check in your luggage and after immigration clearance, they will give the refund to you in cash.

Indian customs:

If the total value < 25k, then nil. For anything above 25k, you have to pay 36%. Keep your bill handy (take multiple photocopies) otherwise the customs ppl will use their reference sheet which may be outdated.

Where to buy:

I found the cheapest place in pantip plaza. Best buy located on the right side is ok. I bought mine there for 21k (Samsung ua40d5500)

In the center of pantip plaza, there is a small stall (max 2 ppl can stand inside) who sells it much cheaper at 18k. I would recommend this shop over best buy. After all, they are all selling sealed boxes of the same tv with the same warranty and bill.

Shipping weight:

32inch Samsung tv weighs 11kg and 40" weights 17kg. Thai airways is quite lenient. My check in luggage was 25kgs and hand luggage was 15kgs
<
But don't stretch your luck too much.

Is it worth buying in Thailand?:

Yes, definitely.

For reference:

Samsung ua40d5500:

thailand+customs=32-35k (based on currency fluctuation and your bargaining skills at shop and customs)

flipkart=60k

samsung ua32d5000:

thailand=20-22k (no customs)

flipkart=40k

HTH.

Apparently I was told by the guy who speaks Hindi @ Digital Bestbuy in Pantip plaza was that you need to register the product on samsung's website. I did that upon reaching India. But a month later my TV has developed a snag. There is a dark line running on top from left to right (gets lighter towards right)upon startup and in 6 to 7 inches in width. It goes away when I adjust the stand. I registered the problem with samsung and they say I need to get my warranty card duly stamped by the dealer in thailand. Now I didnt get it stamped and even lost the bill to the VAT refund. And didnt even have the sense to click a picture of it.

SO it is my request. If anybody or his friend is going to Bangkok I am ready to bear their too and fro taxi cost if they can help me?

Also in case you are buying a tv from bangkok. Do not forget to take a copy of your bill before you proceed for refund and also get the warranty card stamped. In case it doesnt help I can atleast warn the next person.

I have a samsung 40D5000 LED TV which I bought for 18500 BHT.

Apparently I was told by the guy who speaks Hindi @ Digital Bestbuy in Pantip plaza was that you need to register the product on samsung's website. I did that upon reaching India. But a month later my TV has developed a snag. There is a dark line running on top from left to right (gets lighter towards right)upon startup and in 6 to 7 inches in width. It goes away when I adjust the stand. I registered the problem with samsung and they say I need to get my warranty card duly stamped by the dealer in thailand. Now I didnt get it stamped and even lost the bill to the VAT refund. And didnt even have the sense to click a picture of it.

SO it is my request. If anybody or his friend is going to Bangkok I am ready to bear their too and fro taxi cost if they can help me?

Also in case you are buying a tv from bangkok. Do not forget to take a copy of your bill before you proceed for refund and also get the warranty card stamped. In case it doesnt help I can atleast warn the next person.

I have a samsung 40D5000 LED TV which I bought for 18500 BHT.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I just now called up Samsung customer care and they confirmed that you need to have your bill copy to claim warranty.

Try calling up best buy and check whether they can scan and send it via email.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I just now called up Samsung customer care and they confirmed that you need to have your bill copy to claim warranty.

Try calling up best buy and check whether they can scan and send it via email.

well even you went in for VAT refund? Did you get a copy made? Or we are both in the same boat? And there is a huge language barrier. I dont know how much of help would that be but I will try anyway..

Places to buy TV's in Bangkok.

Pantip plaza.

1.IT city ( top most floor )

Big supermarket store in pantip mall and it houses almost everything at reasonable prices.Gives very sweet deals/promotional offers.

Prices are fixed so expect no bargains as selling prices are often 5% less than nearest price in Pantip plaza for same items.Genuine sellers and retailers of electronics in Pantip mall.

2.Digital world ( ground floor - 2 shops )

This shop is co-owned by an Indian named Pandey( Pandey brother's ) and deals largely with Indian grey market dealers who visit his shop to pick up products at grey market prices, so right place to bargain but beware of Indian dealers as they might quote you different price than what they are buying so keep a tab of prices from other places to compare.

Samsung prices at this shop is tempting.

Caution- Do not hang around Indians at his shop.

3.Best buy ( first floor )

Sells limited TV sets from many company.

You will generally get a good prices as they tend to do " Clearance Sale " always.

Not much to bargain again here as prices are just too low for bargaining.

4.Stall Sellers ( ground floor )

Many and Many small stall can be seen when some one enter's Pantip plaza.Stall here sells from s/w's to TV's and laptop's.....prices varies from stall to stall.LG has a stall dedicated for its LED/LCD's and Samsung has for its Monitors/Laptop's.So look around for things and prices as products on sale changes on weekly basis.

Indira Mall

1.Shop at corner of ground floor.

Not a big shop to house all things but sells everything from Sony to Samsung.Expect good promotional products with great prices at this shop.This shop also sells some Hi-F- stuffs like AMP's and Speaker Driver's.

Prices are in normal range of Pantip plaza's.

Sutthisan Market.

This area of Bangkok falls on north of Siam/Silom Center and is easily accessed by Sky train.Houses some very good HiFi shops ans some big dealer showroom's.Prices can be a bit high and need bargaining.

Old Bangkok Area.

This place was flooded till December so have no idea about what shops are selling now, but it had soem very good Hifi dealers dealing in old/new stuff's back in pre flood time.

For Hi-Fi.

Pantip plaza - 4th floor.

Chinese owned shop selling top end stuffs in old and new.Do not expect price drop

Mall next to Pantip plaza.

This mall has many shops selling good stuffs but prices are high if some one is looking for cheap things.

Well that is that then regarding buying from Bangkok as far as i remember.Will post again if i find new shops or places in Bangkok.

Cheers !
Thanks! This is helpful.

Any idea on lg 3d 42"/47" price?

Ra Sh

Having stamped or singed Warranty card will provide you full claims.VAT bill will be not enough to convince Samsung India service center people.If possible shoot a mail to your seller and ask him what can be done.I am sure he will provide you better way out.

Mohit

General view is that all similar spec TV's are priced with in a range of 500 -1000 THB.Just go through the link " www.lcdtvthailand.com "

Ra Sh

Having stamped or singed Warranty card will provide you full claims.VAT bill will be not enough to convince Samsung India service center people.If possible shoot a mail to your seller and ask him what can be done.I am sure he will provide you better way out.

Mohit

General view is that all similar spec TV's are priced with in a range of 500 -1000 THB.Just go through the link " www.lcdtvthailand.com "

Does that website have the best prices in thailand or are they over priced? The Samsung LED D7000 and D8000 series are priced high even for Thailand. I was expecting it to be much cheaper.

Eg.

Samsung 46" D7000 is priced at 70000 Baht on that website which is approx INR 112000. Flipkart price is 133000. 16% Cheaper only.

Samsung 46" D8000 is priced at 90000 Baht on that website which is approx INR 144000. Flipkart price is 147000. 2% Cheaper only.

Ive taken the THB to INR at 1.6.

I was expecting the prices to be close to 50% cheaper. but it doesnt seem to be the case.

please tell me these prices are not even close to the actual prices in Thailand for these models.. coz i was looking to go to bangkok to buy the D6000/7000 hoping it would be at 50% the cost of what it is here..

anyone know why the price difference here is soo less?

Back