Help me buy a fridge

What model have you decided on? do you have a shortlist

A double door prevents the freezer from getting exposed every time you open the door. Compared to a single door.

Since you need a freezer a double door is better.
Sorry mate, not going to spend much behind this. Going for a cheap single-door only.
This is the only one which I find 'acceptable' in teams of aesthetic:

Just wish it was slightly larger (above 200 litres just for the sake of future proof) and 5 star rated. Aesthetic becoming the main hindrance while choosing a model, all come with juvenile flowery design, and those which are plain are glossy!

Sorry mate, not going to spend much behind this. Going for a cheap single-door only.
This is the only one which I find 'acceptable' in teams of aesthetic:

Just wish it was slightly larger (above 200 litres just for the sake of future proof) and 5 star rated. Aesthetic becoming the main hindrance while choosing a model, all come with juvenile flowery design, and those which are plain are glossy!
Just remember that full load is 70% capacity to ensure the best air circulation.

Now consider whether capacity is enough or not.

It looks good with a 40's aesthetic. Wish there were numbers on the door for temperature instead of adjectives. But i guess that isn't possible with single door.

It's not frost free. I don't know how this e-defrost works. Likely it isn't automatic and you decide when to defrost.

talso, preference of purchase would be from croma/reliance retail outlets rather than from amazon (though i'd personally prefer the latter); or atleast would prefer to check the models at an outlet first even if were to order from croma e-store or amazon etc.
You can check out the Samsung e-Store app offer. Bought a fridge from them, packed it from the Bangalore warehouse and delivered it via Shiprocket - Delhivery

@blr_p Fridges with cooling coils outside are better in terms of longevity as opposed to concealed? Store guys keep telling me that thus asking me to go for LG.
Longevity is all about the compressor. That is your engine. It has a finite life. The less it works, the longer it lasts. The way to make the compressor last longer is to take care of it.

Don't place the fridge near heat sources. Ensure adequate ventilation at the back so there is airflow. The manual will indicate a minimum gap to keep at the sides and the back. KNOW the dimensions of the fridge you want and check how much space you can allow where you will locate it. This will pretty much fix the max size fridge capacity you can get.

One trick I learnt with the new fridge is to raise the front two legs slightly more than the back. This will automatically make the door close, the slight slope also makes it easier for coolant to flow back to the compressor so it works less.

If the cooling coils are outside or not covered they become a dust magnet. Dust acts as an insulator and will affect their cooling efficiency. The compressor needs to work longer to get the job done. It is really difficult to clean those coils on a regular basis. If the design allows for concealed then it's a plus.

In my fridge the cooling fins are at the bottom, every year I pop the back panel off and give them a little clean with a vacuum.

LG uses a franchise model in India. There are no LG-specific showrooms in my city of Bangalore like Samsung which has some fancy ones.

Attachments

• 20190511_194025.jpg
    20190511_194025.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20190511_193615.jpg
    20190511_193615.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 78
What to do with the Allwyn? I see that it has Hitachi compressor.
I thought you would work out an exchange deal where they deduct so much from the cost of the new fridge.

Otherwise, you will have to sell it for scrap. You might get more that way than the fridge people offer, but it's more hassle.

I thought you would work out an exchange deal where they deduct so much from the cost of the new fridge.

Otherwise, you will have to sell it for scrap. You might get more that way than the fridge people offer, but it's more hassle.
They offered scrap value of 1k for it, so rejected.
New fridge has been delivered. Will post a photo later. Could you help me find one of those thermometer thingy? I need to monitor the temps inside. Please, nothing expensive such as yours, but nothing so cheap that it defeats the purpose. Would prefer if item comes with a calibration certificate

Could you help me find one of those thermometer thingy? I need to monitor the temps inside. Please, nothing expensive such as yours, but nothing so cheap that it defeats the purpose.
Monitor over how long a period? Mine has been in the fridge for years. That is what paying more gets you. Mine was a round 3.5k at the time. It goes for much more these days.

Something simple for starters. Problem? no memory

^one that keeps a record of highs and lows is much better for a fridge/freezer

Would prefer if item comes with a calibration certificate
Heh, even mine does not come with that

Last edited:
Monitor over how long a period? Mine has been in the fridge for years. That is what paying more gets you. Mine was a round 3.5k at the time. It goes for much more these days.

Something simple for starters. Problem? no memory

^one that keeps a record of highs and lows is much better for a fridge/freezer

Heh, even mine does not come with that
Well as long as it needs for me to have an overall gauge on the relation between set knob level and temperature. Thanks for the link, I'll check some myself. I have been checking with my watch for a while, but i think I'm killing my watch by this

Well as long as it needs for me to have an overall gauge on the relation between set knob level and temperature. Thanks for the link, I'll check some myself. I have been checking with my watch for a while, but i think I'm killing my watch by this
There are gadgets that can record temperature but accuracy is an open question. Both recommended specifically are for fridges. You really want a record of high and low.

Just what the temperature is to me is inadequate, fine if you are monitoring every few hours but for the purposes of knowing what is going on in the fridge over 24h period say you need it.

There are gadgets that can record temperature but accuracy is an open question. Both recommended specifically are for fridges. You really want a record of high and low.

Just what the temperature is to me is inadequate, fine if you are monitoring every few hours but for the purposes of knowing what is going on in the fridge over 24h period say you need it.
Yep that's the problem, suspicious accuracy. Not sure why an accurate thermometer cannot be made. My watch reports 5.3 degrees on the bottom shelf (atop vegetable storage), knob is at level 4 (range 1 - 7). I don't really much care about all these but there are medicines I need to store and they recommended at 2-8 degrees.

Yep that's the problem, suspicious accuracy. Not sure why an accurate thermometer cannot be made.
They can be made. I was referring to the ones used for weather stations. Those are subject to warmer temperatures and tend to be less accurate at fridge temperatures.
My watch reports 5.3 degrees on the bottom shelf (atop vegetable storage), knob is at level 4 (range 1 - 7).
That sounds about right for the bottom shelf
I don't really much care about all these but there are medicines I need to store and they recommended at 2-8 degrees.
The user manual for my fridge expressly states the fridge is not suitable for temperature-sensitive medicines. After doing measurements I can see why. Temperatures will fluctuate in these consumer models by a few degrees due to their power saving.

Last edited:
Back