Help me buy a fridge

In single door fridge, top most shelf near the freezer will be the coolest. If you want 2°C that top part on the door side should work well. Wonder why they waste that side for eggs.

In single door fridge, top most shelf near the freezer will be the coolest. If you want 2°C that top part on the door side should work well. Wonder why they waste that side for eggs.
To prevent salmonella poisoning.
After six hours from previous reading it's now at 1.2. Superb consistency
Will post later what the temperature range is like on the spot above the vegetable box. Presently the fridge is set to 3 degrees.

Sorry to hijack this thread. I am also in the market for a new fridge. Upgrading a 19 Year Old Samsung 270L Double Door Fridge. Looking for 400L with a small freezer. Just an ice tray, space to keep some peas and few ice creams in the freezer. No specific needs apart from being able to house much more stuff than the current one. Vegetarian without eggs.

Sorry for OT. Eggs in India don't need cooling as they are unwashed. There's no real benefit keeping eggs in the fridge. AFAIK only in the US you'll find washed eggs. Washed eggs have less lifespan and they need to be kept in fridge.
I have personal experience with what unrefrigerated eggs can do. If a bad egg gets through. Only took one to knock a friend out. In the UK eggs are not refrigerated so he'd buy them and store them on top of the fridge because he thought like you. He'd go through at least four of them a day, raw mixed in other supplements until one fateful day. That is after nearly a decade of consuming them like that. This was a guy who was runner-up at the national level in the naturals category. Hospital for a week and later on he never really completely recovered from it. He couldn't train to the same intensity as in the past :sorry:

Food poisoning is when you can't stop yourself from ejecting water from either end. If you don't get put on a drip you're dead in a couple of days.
Sorry to hijack this thread. I am also in the market for a new fridge. Upgrading a 19 Year Old Samsung 270L Double Door Fridge. Looking for 400L with a small freezer. Just an ice tray, space to keep some peas and few ice creams in the freezer. No specific needs apart from being able to house much more stuff than the current one. Vegetarian without eggs.
You'd be better off following this thread than here which seems to have concluded with a single door

Last edited:
To prevent salmonella poisoning.

Will post later what the temperature range is like on the spot above the vegetable box. Presently the fridge is set to 3 degrees.
Well I took a reading today around 4 p.m. which was about 24 hours after fridge installation. Same veg tray spot showed 1C, the shelf above that was -0.3C. I couldn't believe the latter reading so checked whether water turned to ice, and it did not! So I thin my watch is off by few degrees or something. Placed a HM TDS metre which had a built in thermometer and it reports 0.6C. In either case, the temp inside fridge is around 1C if not below. Lowered the knob from 4 to 2.
Btw, put few fruits yesterday inside the veggie box and today found the pomegranates dried the hell out. Enough of keeping fruits in fridge ffs.

Stumbled on this cheap hygro btw: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Thermopro+TP50&crid=2ZCGLNP1YZ1B7&sprefix=thermopro+tp50,aps,311&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
Amongst expensive ones found one by RS PRO TA298 and similar. Says to have some compliance to certain standards or whatever. lol
Sorry for OT. Eggs in India don't need cooling as they are unwashed. There's no real benefit keeping eggs in the fridge. AFAIK only in the US you'll find washed eggs. Washed eggs have less lifespan and they need to be kept in fridge.
I am told by egg seller that poultry eggs need not be stored in fridge but for desi ones (tiny sized double the price ones) the other way around.

Placed a HM TDS metre which had a built in thermometer and it reports 0.6C.
Try putting it in a metal water tumbler with enough water to cover the tip and using it like that to measure the temperature. You will be testing the temperature of the water and how much it varies instead of air temperature which the TDS meter is not really designed to do.

You will need to refill the water as it can get quite dry in the fridge.
Btw, put few fruits yesterday inside the veggie box and today found the pomegranates dried the hell out. Enough of keeping fruits in fridge ffs.
@sauravghosh

Ideally, that veg compartment should be split into two with individual humidity controls. Fruits want high humidity. Vegetables like low humidity. Problem? I can't find any fridges in India with two compartments.

Produce storage is quite an involved topic with each having its sweet spot. When juicing I'd buy veg and fruit and I'd lose half a few days later because I did not understand how to store them best. It's not as simple as just dumping everything into that vegetable box and forgetting about it like the fridge ads want you to believe.

^That is a great site for quick reference because if you click on the various fruits and vegetables it tells you what temperature they like to be stored at AND the humidity. Got to get both right or it does not work.

Videos
This one is about veg, you might know most already. I did not. Another one

This one is from Korea. Great ideas.

yeah, get some coffee :bookworm:
Those are the ones I was referring to earlier. They are not designed to go into a fridge. The ones with external sensors will do better and be more convenient.
Amongst expensive ones found one by RS PRO TA298 and similar. Says to have some compliance to certain standards or whatever. lol
That one is +/-5%. The one I use around the house is +/-2%

if you want one that will do logging which you can download later Check this out.

Now that I think about it maybe a logger is easiest for you. It goes down to -40 C so it should work. Tracks both temp and humidity. Not too expensive. You will really see how stable your temp and humidity are with this and plot graphs from the data.

Its +/-5% for RH though which should be enough for your use case

There are other loggers available like that so check the various ones out and pick what you need. Their purpose is to ensure freshness in the industry.

Last edited:
I have personal experience with what unrefrigerated eggs can do.
There are 2 things. Salmonella and e-coli. You should always treat chicken or its eggs are infected with either one of them. E-coli is more common than salmonella. Refrigeration, sadly, doesn't kill either of them. Only cooking does. One can eat raw fish, pork, b***, duck or anything. But chicken? no sir! There's no chicken sashimi to be found here.

I usually buy 100 eggs and there's no way I can't keep them in fridge. People here keep eggs in fridge for purely psychological reasons. It makes absolutely no difference. Chicken can last more than a year in fridge, yes! Even well preserved fish can last more than 6 months. But eggs? No. Refrigeration doesn't make any difference to them. I have tried all possibilities and done all the experiments. I have even cooked eggs in advanced. They start to taste sour after 4 days and you start to get food poisoning after 6 days (talking refrigerated). Your friend probably had the egg raw, which is like playing russian roulette to be honest.

There are 2 things. Salmonella and e-coli. You should always treat chicken or its eggs are infected with either one of them. E-coli is more common than salmonella. Refrigeration, sadly, doesn't kill either of them. Only cooking does. One can eat raw fish, pork, b***, duck or anything. But chicken? no sir! There's no chicken sashimi to be found here.
Won't kill, but slows down their growth rate like with all microorganisms
Chicken can last more than a year in fridge, yes! Even well preserved fish can last more than 6 months.
In the freezer sure. But you said fridge?
Your friend probably had the egg raw, which is like playing russian roulette to be honest.
Yes, it was raw. Four. Rocky started that thing with his movie. Rocky lived in the US where by law they have to be refrigerated.

They must have good reasons for it. Their health regs are super strict anyway.
Refrigeration doesn't make any difference to them. I have tried all possibilities and done all the experiments. I have even cooked eggs in advanced. They start to taste sour after 4 days and you start to get food poisoning after 6 days (talking refrigerated).
I've had eggs in the fridge for at least a couple of weeks. Stored raw and they've been fine. In fact, a couple of weeks old makes for a better boiled egg. A fresh one not so much.

Omelettes and other requires them fresh.

Last edited:
Yes, it was raw. Four. Rocky started that thing with his movie. Rocky lived in the US where by law they have to be refrigerated.

They must have good reasons for it. Their health regs are super strict anyway.
Like I said, eggs in the US are washed. It's not good and it's universally criticized. You'll see European laughing at Americans for this bad practice. Washing them removes the natural protective layer which is given by the hen. Washed egg are prone to all sorts of infection and they go bad within a week. Washing doesn't remove the bacteria from it, it only makes them more presentable. Unwashed eggs, which is what we and rest of the world have can easily last 3 weeks.

I just need monitoring mate. This looks like a good product but I won't have time to connect to PC and all that. Would these work like that?
It has a display so you can use that. Press the button and it shows humidity. Pres it again it goes back to temp

Connecting to a PC is to get values over a period of time which you can do on a weekly or even longer basis to get an idea of temperature differentials. Much more convenient isn't it?

You asked for monitoring. This is just that.
Like I said, eggs in the US are washed. It's not good and it's universally criticized. You'll see European laughing at Americans for this bad practice.
Yet it's the done thing in the US and continues to be the case. I was told it's more hygienic. I suppose with industrialised poultry this is the only way to ensure it.
Washing them removes the natural protective layer which is given by the hen. Washed egg are prone to all sorts of infection and they go bad within a week. Washing doesn't remove the bacteria from it, it only makes them more presentable. Unwashed eggs, which is what we and rest of the world have can easily last 3 weeks.
I wash the eggs because what I get from the local HOPCOMS is covered with chicken shit most of the time. Not a lot but it's unsightly. I'm used to seeing clean eggs.

It's not clear to me whether these eggs would have been at least rinsed at some point in the supply chain. I can't say with certainty that they are not washed unless it's from some local farm and I don't get that kind.

The eggs I've seen abroad were always clean. I think the industrialized poultry they have allows eggs to be retrieved before they get covered with any crap.

The texture of the shells is different too. What I get here is more rough and white. In Europe, I remember the eggs being a pink cream colour and the shells having a smoother coating. Different breeds of chicken most likely.

Eggs don't last very long in my house. A few days? I buy lots of twenty or however many come for Rs.100. Usually it's less than 20.

At some point, I tried to buy from BigBasket and we got a few floaters and stopped buying from them since. An old egg floats in water, fresh always sinks. That's how to tell good from bad.

So old stock at BigBasket. Always fresh at Hopcoms as they have a high turnover. You'd think the same of bigbasket too but not as fast.

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
It has a display so you can use that. Press the button and it shows humidity. Pres it again it goes back to temp

Connecting to a PC is to get values over a period of time which you can do on a weekly or even longer basis to get an idea of temperature differentials. Much more convenient isn't it?

You asked for monitoring. This is just that.
I'm about to order it but i will never connect this to my PC or anything of the sort. Just an on-display monitoring i need that's all. I hope it will work for my intended purpose.

PS: I checked item details but unable to understand which sensor's temp will the lcd show, external or internal. Another thing is, the temp update frequency is not mentioned anywhere. Whether it's 5 seconds or 10 or else

I'm about to order it but i will never connect this to my PC or anything of the sort. Just an on-display monitoring i need that's all. I hope it will work for my intended purpose.
I ordered it because it had the external sensor option. The software takes some getting used to but is not too hard
PS: I checked item details but unable to understand which sensor's temp will the lcd show, external or internal. Another thing is, the temp update frequency is not mentioned anywhere. Whether it's 5 seconds or 10 or else
If the external sensor is used then it will show that otherwise, it will be air temperature. External sensor is for liquids which I thought could be useful. Update frequency will be in the user manual. See this review. You can configure it in the software

Before ordering. Why don't you try with the TDS meter in the water tumbler first and tell us how that fluctuates?

Some people argue that air temperature isn't the best way to measure temperature in a fridge and that better is the temperature of the goods inside that matters more.

Air temperature can fluctuate but if the temperature of the goods has inertia that acts as a dampener and does not change much then that is what matters. I'm in two minds about this argument.

Attached is the temp variation in 24 h with the sensor on top of the vegetable box. The fridge temp is set to 3 °C yet you can see over a 24h period that the temperature varied between 0-7 °C :oops:

I can do another test with the sensor on the top shelf to see the difference. Expect it will be smaller.

No power cut here. Had there been one the range could have become wider. Oh yeah, you better take power cuts into account ;)

Attachments

• Frdige 24 temp variation on top of vegetable box.jpg
    Frdige 24 temp variation on top of vegetable box.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
The software takes some getting used to but is not too hard
Software? Does this mean I need to connect this to my PC? Or built in software on device?

Thanks for the manual, will read it later from PC.

Already did the water temp test. It shows 8.7C by TDS metre. On top of veggie box. I lowered the knob one notch, it's now at 3 from recommended 4.

Furthermore, on power consumption side of things, plugged in kill a watt metre and I see about 30W being pulled, when it does, then it goes to 0. I thought inverter compressors were always active at a low speed unlike fixed speed compressors which did this on and off thing! Anyhow, I'll post my findings after 24 hours.

Last edited:
Software? Does this mean I need to connect this to my PC? Or built in software on device?
Have to install the software on your PC and then connect to read logged data. Check the reviews on the Amazon US site for more info
Already did the water temp test. It shows 8.7C by TDS metre. On top of veggie box. I lowered the knob one notch, it's now at 3 from recommended 4.
Yeah, the thing with those numbers is there is no correlation with temperature, I think it's just a timer for how often the compressor runs I think. A lower number means the compressor waits a shorter time to restart and vice versa.

You will have to take more readings with that TDS meter in a 24h period. One reading does not mean much.
Furthermore, on power consumption side of things, plugged in kill a watt metre and I see about 30W being pulled, when it does, then it goes to 0. I thought inverter compressors were always active at a low speed unlike fixed speed compressors which did this on and off thing!
Mine tends to hover around the 5W range and then ramps up when the compressor gets going to about 50W, then drops. It can go to sleep at times and the power consumption is very low.

Mine tends to hover around the 5W range and then ramps up when the compressor gets going to about 50W, then drops. It can go to sleep at times and the power consumption is very low.
So yours doesn't go to 0 ever? It doesn't turn off entirely like mine is doing? I plugged the metre at 6.30 pm and checked at 10 pm. It recorded 126 mins only. 6.30 to 10 is roughly 210 mins. So in that 3.5 hr window the compressor was totally of for 84 mins. I honestly don't care, but I didn't know that inverter compressors switch off completely.

So yours doesn't go to 0 ever? It doesn't turn off entirely like mine is doing? I plugged the metre at 6.30 pm and checked at 10 pm. It recorded 126 mins only. 6.30 to 10 is roughly 210 mins. So in that 3.5 hr window the compressor was totally of for 84 mins. I honestly don't care, but I didn't know that inverter compressors switch off completely.
It does switch off from time to time. I notice it's not making any sound and the draw is around 5W which I guess in reality means it's drawing nothing. Presently its hooked up to the washing machine so can't check

Is it wise to go for extended warranty? Installation person quoted 3k plus GST for additional 4 years of warranty. But when I enter serial no. on LG website it shows no premium care offer for your product. Not sure whether the installation guy is trying to cheat me. Also it must be done within 7 days from purchase he said, and by that today should be last day.

Back