Huawei E122 HSDPA 3G USB Modem 7.2Mbps 3G Mobile Broadband Rs 2250/- FREE Shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Huawei E122 HSDPA 3G USB Modem 7.2Mbps 3G Mobile Broadband Rs 2250/- FREE Shippi

@ prett.....I hope its not anything very private and a query related to 3G modems only....so u can post is here :p rather than sending a "private" message !

Re: Huawei E122 HSDPA 3G USB Modem 7.2Mbps 3G Mobile Broadband Rs 2250/- FREE Shippi

Supra said:
@ prett.....I hope its not anything very private and a query related to 3G modems only....so u can post is here :p rather than sending a "private" message !
Haha nothing private, just that it is quite offtopic to this particular thread :)

Well here goes:
1) I tried using my friend's BSNL 3G modem that is sold by BSNL (7.3Mbps, Rs 2500/-) on my PC. But sadly I was getting very bad speeds. Download was around 20-30KBytes per sec. But my friend gets 4.6Mbps at his home. What could be the reason for this? I'm guessing maybe the BSNL tower is too far or something. Will getting the Huawei UMG1831 modem help in anyway?
2) Will changing the position of the cabinet help? It is placed close to the floor right now.

I have 2 BSNL dataone connections and am completely frustrated with them. One is 256kbps and so it is too slow for any use. The other one is a 2Mbps with night unlimited but is absolutely hopeless. It gets disconnected every 5 minutes. :(

Ordered an Huawei UMG1831 via eBay. Hope you ship ASAP and a good working piece. Thanks!

Got mine that was ordered through eBay today. Works fine till now and the T-Mobile Mobile Connect app does display the IMEI number

EDIT : Disconnections every 4 ~ 5 minutes already. At work now. Will have to check once am back home as well on a different PC

Update : Tried at home on 2 PCs. Device keeps resetting itself every 30 seconds to a minute !! I can hear the windows sound that plays when a device is unplugged followed by the windows sound that plays when a device is plugged in after which the application autorun on the device also shows up. So, clearly a case of the device resetting itself

^^ Try connecting through MDMA/Mobile Partner. Uninstall the T-Mobile thing. Also dont connect to front USB ports

Freaky said:
EDIT : Disconnections every 4 ~ 5 minutes already. At work now. Will have to check once am back home as well on a different PC

Update : Tried at home on 2 PCs. Device keeps resetting itself every 30 seconds to a minute !! I can hear the windows sound that plays when a device is unplugged followed by the windows sound that plays when a device is plugged in after which the application autorun on the device also shows up. So, clearly a case of the device resetting itself
Yep that was the exact same issue with mine. Keeps resetting every 20-30 seconds.

@Supra - The resetting issue was there on MDMA and Mobile Partner too. Even on my Dockstar I can see the device getting disconnected and reconnected in the logs. So I don't think its the problem with the client, must be a firmware/hardware problem. Another user also complained about the same issue -- http://forums.tmonews.com/index.php?topic=16356.msg274783#msg274783

Tried on the laptop today morning. Removed the T-Mobile app and installed Mobile Partner. Rebooted, connected through Mobile Partner, same issue. The device keeps resetting itself - That's the weird part. Same with MDMA as well.

Tried with USB extension cable which I use for my Photon (ZTE Modem) without any issues wahtsoever. Same problem. The firmware on the device is already the updated one - the 831 one.

@dvdstoredelhi
Any possibility of any other 21mbps modem in immediate future?
The failure rate seems to be high for this device.
Am planning to buy one by next month.

Well like i stated earlier, either some issue with the stock, or one particular seller, i would recommend new users to try some other sellers then we will be able to get a clearer picture.

^^ Now what this has to do with the seller :S

^^ LOL I also dont get that ! I have got 6-7 UMG1831 modems for fellow TE blore members, colleagues, friends from dvdstoredelhi. And all of them worked fine w/o any issues:)I upgraded firmware also to 28.8 Mbps again no issues. Still using the K4505 firmware and its downloading 10GB per day with 10 hrs a day on download ....no issues at all :D and I am on Windows 7 64-bit. Also no heating issues with my modem...it runs barely warm.May be the QC of Huawei modems are not so good which is expected, so may be its a pick of the lot....say 1 out of 10 which gives intermittent issues !

Btw one issue I noticed is that if you have the Tata Photon+ Software (Huawei EC1261) installed plz dont remove it as it removes some shared dll files which makes this 3G modem unstable.

Supra said:
^^ LOL I also dont get that ! I have got 6-7 UMG1831 modems for fellow TE blore members, colleagues, friends from dvdstoredelhi. And all of them worked fine w/o any issues:)I upgraded firmware also to 28.8 Mbps again no issues. Still using the K4505 firmware and its downloading 10GB per day with 10 hrs a day on download ....no issues at all :D and I am on Windows 7 64-bit. Also no heating issues with my modem...it runs barely warm.May be the QC of Huawei modems are not so good which is expected, so may be its a pick of the lot....say 1 out of 10 which gives intermittent issues !

Btw one issue I noticed is that if you have the Tata Photon+ Software (Huawei EC1261) installed plz dont remove it as it removes some shared dll files which makes this 3G modem unstable.
Exactly same here

Hmmm.. All the issues have been with units purchased in the last 15 days or so. And its not one person who has the issue. And the modem gets hot very quickly. 5 mins of usage with intermittent disconnects gets the modem to heat real quick.

My only solution now is to either downgrade the f/w or flash to the K4505 one and try.

Freaky said:

dvdstoredelhi said:
I checked varkey's modem for 4 days and worked without any problem. Downloaded over 24gb in 4 days and used same to send SMS messages too. Gave same to a buyer who bought same and it is working fine with him too..

Varkey can return the modem and we shall Refund his payment after ebay fee etc

@dvdstoredelhi - I was talking to Freaky and you have sent him the same modem which I had returned. (Verified with the IMEI number) And in your above post you said that you sold it to some other buyer and its working fine??

Anyway Freaky is also facing the same issue, I wonder how you tested it for the so called 4 days!

That is why i was saying for new users to try another seller, if one product is being sold from one person to another. Also because it may be a faulty lot. So some other seller can be tried for buying the same.

Also would not recommend to flash the K4505 firmware as it is not meant for this modem and causes over heating and modem resets every hour or two on continuous usage. Also when you try to downgrade back to .420 firmware from k4505 it can erase the iemi and make the modem useless. So better to stay away from the same.In fact i was surprised to see sellers listing this modem on ebay with voice capability and latest firmware. As the latest firmware for 1831 does not support voice nor does it support 28.8 Mbps speeds.

varkey said:
@dvdstoredelhi - I was talking to Freaky and you have sent him the same modem which I had returned. (Verified with the IMEI number) And in your above post you said that you sold it to some other buyer and its working fine??

Anyway Freaky is also facing the same issue, I wonder how you tested it for the so called 4 days!
Varkey,

I tested your Modem for so called 4 days without making any note of your IMEI number and I repeat that it worked fine with me and I communicated same to you as well over phone..and thereafter sent to my shop for Sale as one buyer locally wanted to collect personally.

I assume that your modem may have been SOLD to walk in client.

However I do not think your modem may have been sent to Freaky but may have been sent as we were convinced that it is not a faulty unit....

I tested same by downloaded a few movies and it never got HOT though it's COLD weather out here..and neither disconnected frequently..maybe once or twice a day.

We've already discussed and agreed that you're returning the modem and I'm doing your Refund ... Try Dushie's suggestion ...maybe some other Seller..

Goodbye

@dvdstoredelhi----I hope you can log the issue with the distributor if there are problems with so many users. Also once you get back the modem from varkey you can open Mobile partner and check if the IMEI no is shown or not ! May be BSNL 3G North n/w is registered even w/o an IMEI.

I am happy that none of the modems I got have any issue of this or anything else. Of no IMEI being reported it was 1st reported by smnrock who lost the IMEI when he was downgrading from K4505 firmware to UMG 1831 old firmware. So that case was 100% due to some incompatibility/error due to the firmware upgrade/downgrade. Of the modem detection issues Huawei was very notorious for that with the older models like E160 etc ....just google and you will get how widespread it is....shouldn't be a problem with the UMG 1831 at all. Also just touched my modem....its nt even warm...dunno why there is no much variance among so many users with the same model.Also Huawei modems are very sensitive to voltage and usb currents ! So be double sure before using cheapo USB cables/hubs etc

You are keeping your modem outside the window :p thanks to your loonng haath useless usb cable.. With Bangalore's freezing temps your modem wont even heat up :rofl:
I have mine inside and it does get warm. I wont call it hot but warm.

The reason why so many people are having issues with the 1831 is because they try and update the firmware. While updating the firmware you need to uninstall all the software installed by this modem and only then do the update.

My modem is warn or it can be said it becomes hot but haven't faced disconnection issues till now.

You are keeping your modem outside the window thanks to your loonng haath useless usb cable.. With Bangalore's freezing temps your modem wont even heat up

I have mine inside and it does get warm. I wont call it hot but warm.

Lol its back inside the house now as lot of mosquitoes were cming inside with the window open :rofl:...its just gets warm....hot is what amd laptops used to get burning ur **** :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back