India has restricted imports of laptops, tablets and personal computers with immediate effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ssreek
> So tiktok could come back as jiotok?

What happened is other social media companies introduced their own version, for eg., youtube shorts, etc.
Don't know which local company tried to copy and fail, not into that kind of contends in general.

As said earlier, no problem with India banning laptop imports, wondering whether local companies can partner with good companies, for eg., FrameWork Laptops, etc. to introduce good products en masse. It will be good for India and society altogether.

@Ssreek
> So tiktok could come back as jiotok?

What happened is other social media companies introduced their own version, for eg., youtube shorts, etc.
Don't know which local company tried to copy and fail, not into that kind of contends in general.

As said earlier, no problem with India banning laptop imports, wondering whether local companies can partner with good companies, for eg., FrameWork Laptops, etc. to introduce good products. It will be good for India and society altogether.
Actually its possible for apps to work under another name, TikTok in China is Dyojin apparently

@cassanovalite
Yes.
Also, Garena Free Fire instead of pubg, etc.
gaming is already sent to butcher house.

Soon, the only game indians can play is pelting stone to a particular minority group.

Last edited:
What gaming exactly? Right now gambling apps are also called gaming by our media.
It's complicated. but in nutshell any games which need internet to play is "online gaming" be it the pure betting apps running in india under the "gaming" disguise or pubg.

something wrong with the forums..
i immediately edited and added a link. but its not reflecting.

you can search online the impact of GST on indian gaming industry . our delegation meet govt. babus this week.. they refuse to even listen.
its complex topic, i would refrain discussing openly, but there are lots of information available online.

Now, no problem with India banning laptop imports, wondering whether local companies can partner with good companies, for eg., FrameWork Laptops, etc. to introduce good products. It will be good for India and society altogether.
In theory yes but in practice no. it will lead to lower competition which leads to price gouging.
Remember how Intel was during Amd's bulldozer years?

It's quite possible that quality components will need to be bought in a similar manner as gpus during the crypto craze i.e. auction/lottery/fb groups etc.

@Ramadhir Singh
Gaming industry taxing will be comparable as taxing on cigarettes in India.
It will still grow with higher taxes, that is how gaming and in India gambling may partly work.

@Crapmypants You are very right, unless objectives and purpose are not good, it will be serious problem.
I think now that India already started making mobiles, etc. locally, companies here can make laptops, probably easier.
Can bring in new standards, which can help not only India, but everyone altogether in reducing electronic waste, pollution, cost, etc.

It's complicated. but in nutshell any games which need internet to play is "online gaming" be it the pure betting apps running in india under the "gaming" disguise or pubg.

something wrong with the forums..
i immediately edited and added a link. but its not reflecting.

you can search online the impact of GST on indian gaming industry . our delegation meet govt. babus this week.. they refuse to even listen.
its complex topic, i would refrain discussing openly, but there are lots of information available online.
"Gaming" in regulatory and legal parlance is betting and gambling, not what the tech world calls games or gaming. There is a vast difference.

vi. Laptops, Tablets, All-in-one Personal Computers, and Ultra small form factor Computers and Servers which are an essential part of a Capital Good shall be exempted from the import licencing requirements.

i. Import of Laptops, Tablets, All-in-one Personal Computers, and Ultra small form factor Computers and Servers falling under HSN 8741 shall be 'Restricted' and their import would be allowed against a valid Licence for Restricted Imports.

can someone help me understand this ? seems contradictory to me.
(iv) is specifically written for adani/ambani :)

can someone help me understand this ? seems contradictory to me.
(iv) is specifically written for adani/ambani :)
I think the point is that: if you're buying an expensive CNC machine [Capital Good], and it comes with the operating computer inside it to control it [essential part], then that computer is exempt from this rule.

I don't understand this. Isn't every laptop (aside from the very mainstream one's) manufactured in china? Are ton's of laptops going to vanish from market overnight or what?

Last edited:
reading the text, it seems like individuals are not impacted from incidental imports (such as going abroad and buying one, or ordering one on newegg), but corporations and resellers are affected. This will probably raise prices for laptops, which is pretty bad for the CS student population in India. :(
Newegg doesn't deliver to India anymore.

So do we have to hoard computer parts now? What a time! (⁠ノ⁠≧⁠∇⁠≦⁠)⁠ノ⁠ ⁠ミ⁠ ⁠┻⁠━⁠┻

Looks like we are going back to the License Raj.
AFAIK, 8471 covers everything related to computers and is not just for PCs and Laptops. GPUs, HDDs, all fall under this HSN. They all fall under "other data processing units"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back