Ipad pro with mini led display upto 16 GB RAM launched

Apple has announced 2021 iPad pro with new M1 chip. Since M1 chips right now comes with 8 GB and 16 GB configurations so new iPad pro also has 8 GB RAM till 512 GB storage and 16 GB for 1 TB AND 2 TB models. That's a good upgrade for artists and video editors. iPad pro 12.9 inch has new mini led display which has a high contrast ratio of 1million :1 while maintaining the excellent color accuracy of a LCD display. I am expecting the display to be a big improvement but let's wait for the reviews. iPad pro now has thunderbolt connector. Apple pencil and magic keyboard remains unchanged. Thankfully the charger is also included with iPad. Price has increased by 10k for 12.9 inch model while it is unchanged for 11 inch model.

iMac 24" also launched with M1 chip, new speakers, new colors and better thermals with slim design. The magic keyboard now comes with touch ID.
Other products launched were Air tags, Apple TV and iPhone in purple color.
Apple event video
iPad pro details
iMac details

Apple basically killed the premium Android tablet space with the iPad Pro launch, especially the 12.9". Cutting edge technology everywhere.
Agree. Android was always a specs king even though it lacked in software but now Apple has decimated the competition even in terms of specs.
Goes to show how much overpriced the Tab S7/S7+ was from Samsung.
I don't think S7+ was overpriced. For 77000 Samsung was also giving cutting edge tech and a free stylus. Even though it lacked in software but it was pretty good for most users. In fact it may still be good for movie/game and very basic productivity because of lesser price, AMOLED, 16:9 aspect ratio, free stylus and a larger screen in comparison to 11 inch iPad. As far as overall tablet experience is concerned, especially someone looking for digital art, video and image editing or a laptop replacement, iPad is the way to go.

Expect a lot of new features in iPad OS like unlimited windows in multitasking, better file manager, final cut pro, xcode and logic pro for iPad. Very soon iPad may be dual booting MAC and iPad OS. Another thing to consider is, iPad pro is sold without a keyboard, starts with 128 GB storage, have just one thunderbolt port and compels people to buy Apple pencil and screen protectors. Sounds like more money if there is no mac air and just a iPad pro. Apple would have rebranded M1 if they really wanted to keep iPad pro completely separate from Mac lineup. But they made a mission impossible kind of commercial with Tim Cook taking out the chip from a MAC and putting it inside iPad. Something big must be coming to the software side.

What would be the estimated launch price in India?
Assume a at least of USDx100. Most prevous apple launches wre close to this amount.
Expect a lot of new features in iPad OS like unlimited windows in multitasking, better file manager, final cut pro, xcode and logic pro for iPad. Very soon iPad may be dual booting MAC and iPad OS. Another thing to consider is, iPad pro is sold without a keyboard, starts with 128 GB storage, have just one thunderbolt port and compels people to buy Apple pencil and screen protectors. Sounds like more money if there is no mac air and just a iPad pro. Apple would have rebranded M1 if they really wanted to keep iPad pro completely separate from Mac lineup. But they made a mission impossible kind of commercial with Tim Cook taking out the chip from a MAC and putting it inside iPad. Something big must be coming to the software side.
I have a feeling apple is going to converge ipad pros and macbook lineups. Ipad pro already has m1, thunderbolt etc. Basically a touch macbook now. Wont be suprised if they add macos(touch edition or something) to ipad pros. Only thing limiting the m1 is ipad os now.

Last edited:
What would be the estimated launch price in India?
ipad.PNG

ipad 2.PNG

I don't know who needs so much power on a Tablet that does not even have a desktop OS to begin with but still there's an option. Imo it is a glorified Netflix machine for those who have the moolah. Personally more excited about the iMac announcement and its future iterations.

Perhaps Sidecar is the best use case I can imagine that some professionals are using it for and perhaps for drawing/sketching because of Pencil. All that can be done on cheaper models as well.

Last edited:
I don't know who needs so much power on a Tablet that does not even have a desktop OS to begin with but still there's an option. Imo it is a glorified Netflix machine for those who have the moolah. Personally more excited about the iMac announcement and its future iterations.

Perhaps Sidecar is the best use case I can imagine that some professionals are using it for and perhaps for drawing/sketching because of Pencil. All that can be done on cheaper models as well.

As someone who loves apple products, I would upto a certain point agree. I bought iPad just because I wanted to and hence I chose the cheapest model although I did desire iPad Air 4. But I do have to tell that using an iPad is an absolute joy.
If I have disposable money I would buy the M1 pro but then I would have zero use of the power it has.

As someone who loves apple products, I would upto a certain point agree. I bought iPad just because I wanted to and hence I chose the cheapest model although I did desire iPad Air 4. But I do have to tell that using an iPad is an absolute joy.
If I have disposable money I would buy the M1 pro but then I would have zero use of the power it has.
Tablet market is dying, Apple has kept it alive because of Pencil and hence it is very niche device used by some people. For normal non professional use, iPhone along with a proper Desktop is the way to go. Rich folks especially in US love to buy overkill products for their small needs where this thing fits perfectly. If anyone want to edit things on the go then use a MacBook like any sane person would do.

Tablet market is dying, Apple has kept it alive because of Pencil and hence it is very niche device used by some people. For normal non professional use, iPhone along with a proper Desktop is the way to go. Rich folks especially in US love to buy overkill products for their small needs where this thing fits perfectly. If anyone want to edit things on the go then use a MacBook like any sane person would do.
That's a pretty misleading statement.

In Q4 of 2020 alone, the tablet market increased by 28 per cent on YoY basis. Since this 'new normal' or the pandemic will stay for a while, tablets will be sold a lot.

And that's why Apple is pushing so much technology into the iPad. If the tablet market was indeed dying, Apple wouldn't have made such drastic improvements to the Pro monikers.

That makes iphone the most expensive and useless device ever. All that power for what? Emails and chatting? Video editing on such a tiny screen is a joke. One should buy a real camera for photos/videos and edit on Mac like a sane person.

That's a pretty misleading statement.

In Q4 of 2020 alone, the tablet market increased by 28 per cent on YoY basis. Since this 'new normal' or the pandemic will stay for a while, tablets will be sold a lot.

And that's why Apple is pushing so much technology into the iPad. If the tablet market was indeed dying, Apple wouldn't have made such drastic improvements to the Pro monikers.
Yeah thanks to WFH, it is not dying after all mainly because of Education Sector.

That makes iphone the most expensive and useless device ever. All that power for what? Emails and chatting? Video editing on such a tiny screen is a joke. One should buy a real camera for photos/videos and edit on Mac like a sane person.
Phone is a necessity while Tablet is not, all that extra power is there but who would need it is still a question of interest since there is no Desktop OS to begin with.

Yeah thanks to WFH, it is not dying after all mainly because of Education Sector.

Phone is a necessity while Tablet is not, all that extra power is there but who would need it is still a question of interest since there is no Desktop OS to begin with.
It depends
I have the A12X iPad Pro LTE with a KB folio
If I exclude office work, it is my most heavily used computing device by a wide margin.

While I have had several iPads from gen 1 onwards in the past, to your point, they remained very lightly used - media consumption sort of devices.
Its hard to say whether it's the desktop like power on the a12x or the keyboard that made the difference - but its been a total paisa vasool buy.
Of course it is no desktop - and it be stupid to assume that it will be anywhere close to a desktop - but for many use cases (browsing/ email/ photo editing etc) , it works brilliantly well - better than any desktop/laptop if I may say so

The M1 Pro at the same price point would have been a no-questions-asked buy for me if not for the fact that the a12x serves the needs as is - or if I can find a proactively ready buyer for the current one ;)

I would disagree totally
In my view tablets are gonna be more popular in India and the world over owing to all things including schools going online.......
On Nother note..
I can say coz i never needed a tab ever in my life but last year realised I should try and hence bought the mediapad m5 lite,
It was okay but for my writing needs I found ipad (the basic one 32g wifi 8gh gen) pretty good.
Pencil even though I believe it's pretty expensive for the price of 8.5k for first gen is really an useful accessory tbh....

Writing with even the first gen pencil, on the basic ipad with NOTABILITY APP is a REALLY a great experience...

Again I always thought writing tabs are crap and needless stuff but how they HVe proved useful to my professional needs in the lockdown and how easy they are for the kids.. I can safely say they are gonna be here for pretty long and that's what apple is banking on now...

Seeing how powerful apple is making the pro now loads of people are gonna move away from their macs and all towards the pads

More processing power for the same price is bad? The price of 11 inch iPad is exactly the same as that of last year with more RAM, thunderbolt and M1 while 12.9 inch is 10k extra over last year price for all of the above plus a mini led display. Although I would have preferred the same price. Moreover Artists, video/ image editors, YouTubers, students, pros on the field who cannot use laptop and normal users who want iPad experience can use a lot of processing power. Yes, phone is a necessity but we don't buy a phone to use all the processing power. We buy phones for a better experience. Most desktop software are overkill for most users while costing a lot of money and now with the power of M1 chip, desktop software can work on iPad OS. We already have clip studio paint desktop version on iPad and photoshop is inching towards a full desktop version. A lot of other creative iPad apps like procreate, affinity photo, luma fusion are on par with desktop counterparts while costing 10 times less and performing equally or even better. I saw a video in which A 2080 ti equipped pc was somewhat lagging while editing 4k videos while iPad 2020 was not. It may be a comparatively shorter timeline but now the RAM has increased so longer timelines are also possible. I will prefer a better iPad OS with more functionality over mac.
iPad os needs,
1 More or unlimited windows while multitasking.
2 External display native resolution support.
3 An ability to work on projects on external drives without importing files. (I don't know if it can work properly)
4 More pro apps.
5 Full Adobe suite (definitely coming IMO)
5 Optional Mac support may be
And many more but not a desktop OS with everything overpriced.

IMO, Apple will not bring macOS to the iPad Pro because it doesn't make business sense for them to cannibalize their own product.
An iPad Pro + keyboard cover is not too far away from an M1 Mac Air in logistical convenience, but the iPad is a severely gimped device, by design.

The last thing the iPad Pro needed was more power, it needs better software, take a look at the HN launch thread - for most it was a media consumption device or a family toy.

Back