iPhone 4s vs Samsung Galaxy S3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singer

Recruit
Apr 24, 2012
guys please help me choose one of these.. their specifications sound quite similar and i already have an iphone 3g(Got kinda bored with it).
i will mainly use my phone for music, games(if i get bored while travelling or in a party) and photography. ya i do watch videos on it occasionally.
how is the sound quality on both of it? Please help me with your opinions..

God bless..

kkchhetri01

Disciple
May 21, 2012
Gurgaon, Haryana
Haha please refrain from commenting on xda... These guys do more good for the community than you can even speak of... As to the people who don't need the phones... These people make up around 60 percent of the market and your beloved "phone" - makes up just 38 percent

38% of the market with 4 iphones against 60% with 200+ Android phones.. ROFL.. :rolleyes:

zhopudey

Skilled
May 14, 2005
Pureview dont have games or app that ios and android have....so its better to keep nokia out of comparison :)

His list puts games very low in priority. So the few games that Symbian has should suffice. Watching movies would be better on the 808's bigger screen. Browsing is inferior compared to the iPhone, though opera mini helps somewhat. Calls,messaging and email is the same on all phones today. The camera in the Nokia is obviously a hundred times better.
So, what's the final score ?

msankadi

Adept
Nov 29, 2010
38% of the market with 4 iphones against 60% with 200+ Android phones.. ROFL.. :rolleyes:

Still android still ios.... All people here seem to agree that s3 has more powerful hardware... Its the software that's different... And what's the software distribution of the market... Yes 38 vs 60

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
Jan 30, 2010
Praha, Czechia
Haha please refrain from commenting on xda... These guys do more good for the community than you can even speak of... As to the people who don't need the phones... These people make up around 60 percent of the market and your beloved "phone" - makes up just 38 percent
Do not lecture me about xda,I am a member there for more than 5 years.
There was a time(those good old winmo 6.5 days)when xda was good,not anymore!Most of the good devs are long gone.It has become the battlefield of some rabid fandroids.
Regarding your 60/38...stay happy that you are with the majority,I don`t even give a rat`s as&!

kkchhetri01

Disciple
May 21, 2012
Gurgaon, Haryana
Still android still ios.... All people here seem to agree that s3 has more powerful hardware... Its the software that's different... And what's the software distribution of the market... Yes 38 vs 60

Yeah.. More powerful hardware to woo noobs who portray themselves as techgurus. I met one the other day who was talking about the features of Android 4.4 on his Xperia live.. :p

It is not only 'hardware' or 'software' but the complete package that matters. You may talk about a closed system, smaller screen, less 'powerful' hardware but still an iphone is 'the best' amalgamation of both. And if I buy one today, I can expect it to be supported for at least 3 years..

Look what happened to SI and SII. And SII was called a 'superphone' when released (1.5 years back) and Samsung is saying that it is testing to see if the hardware can handle JB.. Seriously..!!

kkchhetri01

Disciple
May 21, 2012
Gurgaon, Haryana
There was a time(those good old winmo 6.5 days)when xda was good,not anymore!Most of the good devs are long gone.It has become the battlefield of some rabid fandroids.
Regarding your 60/38...stay happy that you are with the majority,I don`t even give a rat`s as&!

Totally agree.. Look at the pathetic state of SII forums.. Not one, I mean not one stable, fully functional rom..!

msankadi

Adept
Nov 29, 2010

And what should I do exactly about that if someone else rattled your cage and proved that you are no longer apt to develop... Am actually so glad that xda doesn't have self proclaimed gods like you anymore.... Android and xda are both better off now

Xavier

Adept
Mar 17, 2011
Pune
Totally agree.. Look at the pathetic state of SII forums.. Not one, I mean not one stable, fully functional rom..!

I would like to chip in here. I own an S2 and if you're talking about a 'stable' ICS ROM, then there are a plethora of those. Resurrection Remix, Slim ICS, Salman ICS and Rootbox ICS are jus the ones at the top of my head. All of these ROMs are stable and fully functional. If you're talking about Jellybean, the CM10 pre-alpha was released 5 days ago. In this short amount of time, 3-4 devs have already come up with 'fully functional' ROMs. I do not wish to take sides in the eternal iOS vs Android flame war, but people should seriously do their homework before talking out of their behinds.

kvikram

Skilled
Nov 16, 2010
It is very probable that Apple may introduce something game-changing with their next iPhone. I think it's best to wait for iPhone 5 before making a decision to buy a high-end smartphone at this point.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
In case of OS updates, i feel it is unfair to consider a manufacturer provided OS update to a custom ROM developed by a community. If custom ROMs is taken out of the scene, then surely the android phones are not being supported by their own manufacturer as soon as their new phones are released.
And yes powerful hardware is there is many flagship androids because their OS is demanding them for possibly inefficient code. I might be wrong here for sure but why do these phones require desktop class hardware ? Multitasking ?
How much multitasking does one do here ? Except the super power users not everyone must be doing everything simultaneously on their phones i believe.
As a consumer i would appreciate that if i buy a phone i don't have to worry that whether this particular app is "compatible" with my phone or not or i should not face any lag with the OS unless i buy the company's flagship model.
It is an individual's preference and to each to its own.

msankadi

Adept
Nov 29, 2010
^^ How can you believe that Google writes inefficient codes compared to Apple?? Who has the largest search engine (along with the infrastructure) in the world? Who has the whole world mapped? Who has more visitors per day to their site than the number of total phones or comps apple has sold in its lifetime??

kkchhetri01

Disciple
May 21, 2012
Gurgaon, Haryana
I would like to chip in here. I own an S2 and if you're talking about a 'stable' ICS ROM, then there are a plethora of those. Resurrection Remix, Slim ICS, Salman ICS and Rootbox ICS are jus the ones at the top of my head. All of these ROMs are stable and fully functional. If you're talking about Jellybean, the CM10 pre-alpha was released 5 days ago. In this short amount of time, 3-4 devs have already come up with 'fully functional' ROMs. I do not wish to take sides in the eternal iOS vs Android flame war, but people should seriously do their homework before talking out of their behinds.

AOSP based roms do not have fb contact sync + no fm radio + RIL issues have not fully been resolved + no smart dialling. AOKP is in simple words a kanged version of CM9, slower as well.

CM10 has hwdecoder still not fully functional apart from major mediaserver batteryhog issues. And the other roms are just copies or repo synced builds.

As a user I want my phone to work as in every feature to work.

Stock Sammy based roms are just 'deodexed, zipaligned, with either jkay or lidroid frameworks' with a font pack or new icons. That is AFAIK called cooking not developing and can be acheived by anyone who has the slightest amount of brains using dsixda's kitchen. Some of the amateur woek us even based of unsafe 4.04 Sammy roms.

Get your facts right before quoting examples.

Thw discussion us about what is available out of the box. If dev support was a major criterion for buying phones, the nexus series would have been massive sellers. They are not.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
^^ How can you believe that Google writes inefficient codes compared to Apple?? Who has the largest search engine (along with the infrastructure) in the world? Who has the whole world mapped? Who has more visitors per day to their site than the number of total phones or comps apple has sold in its lifetime??

That's why i have written that i might be wrong. I do not have any idea about android coding and internal workings of an android or any phone for that matter. I am just not sure why the OS demands such high level of hardware. it is understandable for stuff like high definition video viewing and capturing 1080p but even basic stuff like navigation is laggy on lower processor phones. At least it is true for my ZTE Blade. Have ICS now and it is somewhat better than the GB ROMs which had horrible lag.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Thw discussion us about what is available out of the box. If dev support was a major criterion for buying phones, the nexus series would have been massive sellers. They are not.

Yes this is what exactly i am trying to point out. OUT OF THE BOX functionality and not what devs and modified ROMs bring to the phone.

msankadi

Adept
Nov 29, 2010
AOSP based roms do not have fb contact sync + no fm radio + RIL issues have not fully been resolved + no smart dialling. AOKP is in simple words a kanged version of CM9, slower as well.

CM10 has hwdecoder still not fully functional apart from major mediaserver batteryhog issues. And the other roms are just copies or repo synced builds.

As a user I want my phone to work as in every feature to work.

Stock Sammy based roms are just 'deodexed, zipaligned, with either jkay or lidroid frameworks' with a font pack or new icons. That is AFAIK called cooking not developing and can be acheived by anyone who has the slightest amount of brains using dsixda's kitchen. Some of the amateur woek us even based of unsafe 4.04 Sammy roms.

Get your facts right before quoting examples.

If out of the box OS was the major criteria than IOS would be the only OS out there...but it is not....just 38% overall and I am not sure if even 5% in India.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
If out of the box OS was the major criteria than IOS would be the only OS out there...but it is not....just 38% overall and I am not sure if even 5% in India.

I am guessing that dev support for android is a major criteria only for people who are more technically informed about the same. This would be quiet less percentage of people. I know my friends who have no idea what a modified or custom ROM is and are buying android because they think it is cool and most importantly it comes in their budgets but then says "haan yaar thoda time lagta hai menu open hone mein" and all such after they install crap load of apps they don't need.
This i feel is the major chunk of phone users (android, iOS and all other OSes) who expect that phone should work as it should out of the box.

msankadi

Adept
Nov 29, 2010
I am guessing that dev support for android is a major criteria only for people who are more technically informed about the same. This would be quiet less percentage of people. I know my friends who have no idea what a modified or custom ROM is and are buying android because they think it is cool and most importantly it comes in their budgets but then says "haan yaar thoda time lagta hai menu open hone mein" and all such after they install crap load of apps they don't need.
This i feel is the major chunk of phone users (android, iOS and all other OSes) who expect that phone should work as it should out of the box.

wow...you seem to be the first ios fan who seems logical on this thread...agree with you people who dont understand android shouldnt buy one.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
wow...you seem to be the first ios fan who seems logical on this thread...agree with you people who dont understand android shouldnt buy one.

I am not iOS fan. My phone is android ZTE blade. But I bought my wife an iPhone because I know she would be super pissed with android. She struggles with my phone too. But she is very happy with her iPhone as for her the experience is simply amazing and I do agree with her.
I am fortunate to use both OSes together and I feel that I am inclining towards iOS only because it fulfills my needs, which is very different from your or anyone else's needs.
So here I suggest the OP to go with his own needs rather than seeing which has more pros/cons than the other.

Take my example for now when I am on the verge of buying a laptop. I see most people on various forums talking about nvidia graphics and all such but I am supposed to make myself away from those because I don't really a need a laptop with dedicated GPU. But most people stress on the GPU etc when suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.