CPU/Mobo Is the MOBO situation irredeemable?

Hi Guys,

I have a MSI Z370 Gaming Plus mobo. The capacitor and surrounding area of 8 pin blew up yesterday. This might been due to third rate vs550 PSU (was working fine with other PSU). Is the situation completely irredeemable or can this be repaired in a local shop or through MSI (out of warranty repair)? If there is no chance of repair, do I have to throw this with the garage or can I get something for it? Pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20220211_004004_627.jpg
    IMG_20220211_004004_627.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20220211_004009_251.jpg
    IMG_20220211_004009_251.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20220211_004040_781.jpg
    IMG_20220211_004040_781.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 125
Did you heard any sound when this happened?
This can be repaired at local generic mobo IT repair centers but dont expect the replacement to last too long but fair enough. These days even for a cost brand centers wont repair such things but no harm pushing them.

Did you heard any sound when this happened?
This can be repaired at local generic mobo IT repair centers but dont expect the replacement to last too long but fair enough. These days even for a cost brand centers wont repair such things but no harm pushing them.
No. But I did register a burning smell around the time it stopped working. I am trying to get in contact with MSI India (I have initiated contact through email).

Old z370 Mobo damaged at CPU 8 pins area there is chance for damage of VRM also. Better to sell i7 8700 and get i5 12400F and B660 Mobo or get a H310 for 5k and use with your i7 8700. Make sure to tie a 120mm fan around VRM area to make sure VRM didn't overheats as H310 don't have VRM heatsinks. May be getting a used b365 Mobo is also fine. i7 8700 is still a nice chip.

Old z370 Mobo damaged at CPU 8 pins area there is chance for damage of VRM also. Better to sell i7 8700 and get i5 12400F and B660 Mobo or get a H310 for 5k and use with your i7 8700. Make sure to tie a 120mm fan around VRM area to make sure VRM didn't overheats as H310 don't have VRM heatsinks. May be getting a used b365 Mobo is also fine. i7 8700 is still a nice chip.
I don't have a need to get this working for my personal use. I was just trying to see if I can salvage the situation. I have already put 8700 for sale. Though I am a bit worried that this might have caused the processor to go kaput as well (unlikely but still possible).

Is it old version of VS550 with orange and black color band theme? If it is so then definitely a bad model PSU. New updated white and black version is decent. But one should go for well reviewed high quality PSUs imo.

Is it old version of VS550 with orange and black color band theme? If it is so then definitely a bad model PSU. New updated white and black version is decent. But one should go for well reviewed high quality PSUs imo.
It is this one. I was not using this for my main system. This was just a back up PSU. There was no load on the PSU during the issue (was just trying to get the PC to boot). Although, I am still not sure if it was the PSU or the mobo was about to die anyways.

Go to a local repair guy and ask for a quote and whether he will provide any warranty. If it's not exorbitant and he's giving warranty (1-3months) go ahead. This would be my personal opinion, IF you have a capable guy around you.

Go to a local repair guy and ask for a quote and whether he will provide any warranty. If it's not exorbitant and he's giving warranty (1-3months) go ahead. This would be my personal opinion, IF you have a capable guy around you.
That is the main point. I am trying to see what MSI says before going for a local repair shop. I can at least get a diagnosis and cost for components from them. They are asking for a service charge of Rs 350 + components.

Post about the issue and claim warranty and help in MSI Reddit thread.
If you don't get help here then that means they won't help at all.
If by any chance you get replacement then buy a good PSU.

Post about the issue and claim warranty and help in MSI Reddit thread.
If you don't get help here then that means they won't help at all.
If by any chance you get replacement then buy a good PSU.
I am already getting some help from MSI. About the PSU, the thing is, I thought Corsair PSUs were good. This was my back up PSU and I wasn't running a large a load on it. I thought it would be good enough to power CPU, mobo and RAM at default (no OC ) but I guess you can't even trust name brands these days. I know there are tiers to products but even a lower end PSU shouldn't be burning mobos.

I am already getting some help from MSI. About the PSU, the thing is, I thought Corsair PSUs were good. This was my back up PSU and I wasn't running a large a load on it. I thought it would be good enough to power CPU, mobo and RAM at default (no OC ) but I guess you can't even trust name brands these days. I know there are tiers to products but even a lower end PSU shouldn't be burning mobos.
Yes, you are right. By any chance, is the mains power in your area especially bad ? Voltage spikes, brown-outs etc. ? Especially around the time your mobo got fried?

Is there any UPS as an additional layer of protection ?

Yes, you are right. By any chance, is the mains power in your area especially bad ? Voltage spikes, brown-outs etc. ? Especially around the time your mobo got fried?

Is there any UPS as an additional layer of protection ?
No issues with power in my area as per my understanding. My main system has a UPS but this one didn't. In any case I was trying to boot up the PC when this happened, not during any high load or power spikes.

Question to all: Any suggestions on a good power supply tester?

Last edited:
Quick update: I checked the power supply using a cheap PSU tester and It shows ok status but when I tapped slightly on the PSU, CPU 12v did show an issue. I believed I might have done something similar ( (just to clear any dirt etc.) when I was trying to get my system to boot up.

Back