Isn't it unfortunate that the home music systems are totally gone and......

Right so the speakers are a funny selection. I had owned a 140+140 watt Sony MHC RV50, music system till last year February. it had developed a cd recognition issue owing to lack of usage.. (hadn't used in years owing to my schedule) It didn't have BT usb so it was given away for free to a local repair guy by Mrs... who promptly disposed it and made quick buck as i had kept it pristine and always kept it dust free...

Incidentally I got the same speakers (the same model that Mrs had given away) from another local repair shop) they were used but in great condition, I bought them just to check how the amp will sound as my plan was always to get a custom pair from a manufacturer in chennai...

The specifications at Sony site for the speakers
Ss RV990
in your previous post you linked to two different speakers and then ended up with this one? what was wrong with the other two
Speaker system 3-way, 3-unit, bass-reflex
type
Sub Woofer: 15 cm, cone type
Woofer: 15 cm, cone type
Tweeter: 5 cm, cone type
Nominal impedance 6 ohms
Dimensions (w/h/d) Approx. 240 × 363 ×
290 mm
Mass Approx. 4.7 kg net per
speaker

Don't have anymore info... But at around 70% volume with Spotify equalizer tuned to give higher levels of high and low frequencies, the results are good...
70% is pretty high. Gets tiring after a while. That means it's more of a party speaker than for listening. I always look for bass capability in the lower regions say a little over 40%.

So how does thing sound then?

I'm hearing more slaps than a punch. Maybe it's the music but otherwise, he's close enough to get a good enough recording to demonstrate the bass

Attaching a pic of the equalizer settings as well...
That's a smiley EQ that rockers use. If your music works with that then its got more mid & upper bass than lower bass

To give you an idea, this and this don't have much deep bass and I find myself wanting more. Maybe you just have to blast those two at 70 and more

This however does by 60 with a flat EQ
Simply because there are lot of factors at play - room correction, speaker placement, directivity, far field/near field etc. How you listen may not be the same as how they demo.
I believe in measurements since that is something you can see and interpret, and then can easily relate when you listen. But again my preference will always be listening directly to the source.
Check this out

That's three different models. Can you hear the difference? Use headphones

It took him a few years to get the binaural recording thing down pat.

As for measurements, he does freq response curves at different volumes and you can see how well the speaker performs. But that's on his Patreon channel

I can tell you that the curves and what you hear can sometimes surprise you.

Last edited:
Will reply later in details
But 70% is the highest vilume that I can go, may be ientuoned it wrong..
See the utterly low bass might not be that much, but with some listening positions and tweaking the equalizer I feel I am okay foe now...
The other speakers well the smaller ones were not enough as i was told,
The bigger ones might have been good but I didn't want to pay 16k without a trial, and they are pretty huge and bulky.. Wouldn't have fit in the scheme of things in my room
Here are a few recordings, used my lg g8x to record them dunno how they ll sound as i do t have headphones etc atm with me...

This one was recoded by standing within 1 feet of one of the speakers

This was around 8 feet away in the center of two speakers..
For these two I have used this equalizer settiing... Though personally i prefer moderate highs and normal mids but to extract bassy effect used this...

Attachments

• IMG-20230422-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20230422-WA0005.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
This one was recoded by standing within 1 feet of one of the speakers
Oh yeah, it's punching there. How far from the wall is it? sounds a little boomy

In a small room this should sound good
This was around 8 feet away in the center of two speakers..
Wish you had used the same track. Would have given an idea how the bass changed at distance
For these two I have used this equalizer settiing... Though personally i prefer moderate highs and normal mids but to extract bassy effect used this...
Why don't you post with the settings you like

Oh yeah, it's punching there. How far from the wall is it? sounds a little boomy

In a small room this should sound good

Wish you had used the same track. Would have given an idea how the bass changed at distance

Why don't you post with the settings you like

I will. Be sharing a detailed version by Tuesday evening.. as weekends are working for me..

I have a kind of limitation regarding the orientation as the wall along which my tv, soundbar, and the speakers are placed it has a door opening in one corner so that area I am left with is around 7feet on that wall.. So thongs are placed kind close to one other, Speakers are placed 3.25 feet and 4 feet high.. (Dont ask the uneven height of their placement , the custom brackets were fitted with just one subwoofer in mind for my blaupunkt soundbar, there was no intention of placing bookshelf on them so they were fitted at na uneven height from one another) the speakers are like 1 inch from the wall as i can't push them any further owing to them being heavier...

I will share my personal fav settings soon as it's all still a woek in progress... I am seeing I have to tweak them around depending upon the genre so I will sharing samples from settings for every genre later...

The room ain't small it's my living room 17 or may be 18 feet by 11 feet I guess..

I have a kind of limitation regarding the orientation as the wall along which my tv, soundbar, and the speakers are placed it has a door opening in one corner so that area I am left with is around 7feet on that wall.. So thongs are placed kind close to one other, Speakers are placed 3.25 feet and 4 feet high.. (Dont ask the uneven height of their placement , the custom brackets were fitted with just one subwoofer in mind for my blaupunkt soundbar, there was no intention of placing bookshelf on them so they were fitted at na uneven height from one another) the speakers are like 1 inch from the wall as i can't push them any further owing to them being heavier...
3.25 feet away from the wall if that is what you mean sounds fine.

I think it was boomy because it was recorded so close.
I will share my personal fav settings soon as it's all still a woek in progress... I am seeing I have to tweak them around depending upon the genre so I will sharing samples from settings for every genre later...
Great
The room ain't small it's my living room 17 or may be 18 feet by 11 feet I guess..
it just means further away you are the bass will be less. Though with dual speakers I think that size room should be just right.

3.25 feet away from the wall if that is what you mean sounds fine.

I think it was boomy because it was recorded so close.

Great

it just means further away you are the bass will be less. Though with dual speakers I think that size room should be just right.

No the height from floor of one speaker is 3.25 feet and the other one is 4 feet..
Unfortunately the distance from back wall is just couple of inches.. I have to woek on these limitations gradually as none of this was designed for a proper bookskelf pair and to listen to music... So i have to now keep gradually working on smaller details with time.. The highest would be to arrange an even better bookshelf pair now that I have a source... But if the Sony ones can keep me calm for a few months then great....

I will be getting the sound clips for you as and when I am ready with my equalizer settings and zeroed in on a proper distance to record with my mobile...

Unfortunately the distance from back wall is just couple of inches.. I have to woek on these limitations gradually as none of this was designed for a proper bookskelf pair and to listen to music...
If you add a foot see if it makes a difference

Will try, but seems impossible unless I get a new pair of brackets to place them...
Oh, forgot you mentioned the brackets. Thought they were free-standing on a shelf
Still for an experiment I ll try and update
Better to have a recorded spectrogram so you understand what you are listening to in location A vs. B. Your 8X should be good enough with its 3 mics

I'll have to type up some instructions to do that. It will be a poor man's guide to figuring out what does and does not work and why
I will be getting the sound clips for you as and when I am ready with my equalizer settings and zeroed in on a proper distance to record with my mobile...
the distance business is tricky. The reason to record close to the speaker is to reduce as much possible the room effect. Once you go beyond a certain distance the sound recorded will be entirely determined by the room. Wide uncluttered rooms will reduce this effect somewhat

I think the boom might have been due to the dhol that's just how it sounds.

Check this out, its close to the wall and the bass is quite overpowering

Last edited:
I have visio elevate and Apple Music and i think its the best no bs setup with best quality in the price range. Especially Apple Music has atmos music recently.

Better to have a recorded spectrogram so you understand what you are listening to in location A vs. B. Your 8X should be good enough with its 3 mics

I'll have to type up some instructions to do that. It will be a poor man's guide to figuring out what does and does not work and why
Still for an experiment I ll try and update
The app you want to download is called Spectroid

Take a screenshot of the default settings pages so you have a record of what the default settings are. I have modified them slightly to work in this use case. See attached.

Once you have made the changes, you have to configure the x and y axis

Screen Appearance.png

To do this you pinch to zoom both axes where the numbers are. It takes a bit of fiddling with pinching to get it right but once set it will remain that way

For the X axis select a range from 0 to 10,000 Hz
For the Y axis select a range from 0 to -100 dB

After there is only one button to use. The play pause button in the top right

I think it's best to be about two feet away from the speaker with a volume of 50%. Do it for just one speaker at a time so it's simpler to understand than with both going.

Once you find the bass kicking in press the play button on the screen and you will see two graphs with the yellow moving. After say ten or more seconds hit the play button again. This will pause it.

Now the trick to get rid of the yellow graph is to quickly tap the play button and it should remove the yellow graph leaving just the peaks indicated by the red which will be your spectrum plot which you screenshot for your records. See attached again. Of course the room must be silent when you do this.

Now if you move the speakers, do another with the same track and see if you notice any difference in the plots. That will tell you whether you are boosting or losing any high or low end.

I'm only just getting into this spectrum stuff but I see people using it to spot problems with pumps say if unwanted harmonics that you can't hear start to show up :)

Attachments

• Audio.png
    Audio.png
    209.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Display.png
    Display.png
    166.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Miscellaneous.png
    Miscellaneous.png
    142.4 KB · Views: 34
  • ost meyer antalya 50 vol 2 feet away.png
    ost meyer antalya 50 vol 2 feet away.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 39
  • ost meyer antalya 50 vol 1m away.png
    ost meyer antalya 50 vol 1m away.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
@blr_p I am a bit stuck atm.
Wil be doing everything as you have directed... When I am a bit free from this new assignment...

@blr_p
Took many graphs this is the general idea that I get from standing at 2. 5 feet and dunno the volume as the Knob is kinna endless in case of amp and in the phone it's around 70percent, but amp isn't cranked up beyond half I guess..

With these I can see the bass response is around 60 to 80hz, kinna surprised as this is okay with me...

Will arrange better speakers in future to go even lower bass..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230504-181750.png
    Screenshot_20230504-181750.png
    223.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20230503-175446.png
    Screenshot_20230503-175446.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20230503-175621.png
    Screenshot_20230503-175621.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20230503-180054.png
    Screenshot_20230503-180054.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 16832052725516942083593170534108.jpg
    16832052725516942083593170534108.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
@blr_p
Took many graphs this is the general idea that I get from standing at 2. 5 feet and dunno the volume as the Knob is kinna endless in case of amp and in the phone it's around 70percent, but amp isn't cranked up beyond half I guess..

With these I can see the bass response is around 60 to 80hz, kinna surprised as this is okay with me...

Will arrange better speakers in future to go even lower bass..
So it gives an idea of how the response is. Try saving the screen shot in landscape next time as its easier to read than in portrait

Why don't you try with that mivo sound bar you got earlier?

So it gives an idea of how the response is. Try saving the screen shot in landscape next time as its easier to read than in portrait

Why don't you try with that mivo sound bar you got earlier?
Its in my bed room which has messed up acoustics... Will still try..
It can't match in terms of bass with this new setup though...

Its in my bed room which has messed up acoustics... Will still try..
At two feet and volume at half hopefully, it will be less.
It can't match in terms of bass with this new setup though...
That is what I suspected at the time but you still went ahead.

With smaller speakers, psycho-acoustic tricks are used in the audio processing to make you think the bass is deeper than it actually is. Depending on placement this effect can be further increased. I was surprised I could hear it in the audio review I posted in that thread. Ends up being more boomy than deep though.

Will be interesting to see at what frequency the bass rolls off. And whether you think that is what you are really hearing

This is less the case with the RV990 because the speakers are large enough that tricks don't need to be used. I'd imagine what Spectroid measures is quite close to what you are hearing.

Last edited:
Here you go

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230504-224633.png
    Screenshot_20230504-224633.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20230504-224452.png
    Screenshot_20230504-224452.png
    150.3 KB · Views: 36
Back