Isn't it unfortunate that the home music systems are totally gone and......

Here you go
Interesting, the roll-off is at 90Hz but you then enter a valley and there is a second roll-off at 50Hz whose remnants is probably what I was hearing. The mid to upper bass is more pronounced. The upper mids to highs seem depressed in the 5-10khz region. Don't know why.

If you compare it with the attachments I posted in post #73, you see the roll-off at 50hz and it is the most prominent peak.

That is the deep thumping bass the Onyx can put out :happy: Onyx does not do much upper bass, it sacrifices it for the deeper portion.

This is something you need to keep in mind when EQing. Boosting or reducing one band generally means you are losing out or gaining somewhere else. Where? you need to test with Spectroid what the effects of boosting one band so much have on the others. These software equalisers are not like hardware ones even though they look the same.

Spectroid will give you an overall impression of what you are listening to. Lows, mids & highs.

But for bass only there is an even simpler way to figure it out.

If you use a tone generator app. Set the volume to a level you normally listen to. Then slowly turn the frequency down from 200Hz to 10Hz and pay attention to how fast it gets soft and at what point. That will tell which speakers can do deep bass or not and how well.

Deep bass does not travel. What comes across as prominent at two feet distance will be less at ten feet. So you need to be sitting close. The upside is it won't disturb others.

Whereas mid and upper bass travel further. What you hear in those bands at two feet will still hold at distances of ten feet or more.

Last edited:
Interesting, the roll-off is at 90Hz but you then enter a valley and there is a second roll-off at 50Hz whose remnants is probably what I was hearing. The mid to upper bass is more pronounced. The upper mids to highs seem depressed in the 5-10khz region. Don't know why.

If you compare it with the attachments I posted in post #73, you see the roll-off at 50hz and it is the most prominent peak.

That is the deep thumping bass the Onyx can put out :happy: Onyx does not do much upper bass, it sacrifices it for the deeper portion.

This is something you need to keep in mind when EQing. Boosting or reducing one band generally means you are losing out or gaining somewhere else. Where? you need to test with Spectroid what the effects of boosting one band so much have on the others. These software equalisers are not like hardware ones even though they look the same.

Spectroid will give you an overall impression of what you are listening to. Lows, mids & highs.

But for bass only there is an even simpler way to figure it out.

If you use a tone generator app. Set the volume to a level you normally listen to. Then slowly turn the frequency down from 200Hz to 10Hz and pay attention to how fast it gets soft and at what point. That will tell which speakers can do deep bass or not and how well.

Deep bass does not travel. What comes across as prominent at two feet distance will be less at ten feet. So you need to be sitting close. The upside is it won't disturb others.

Whereas mid and upper bass travel further. What you hear in those bands at two feet will still hold at distances of ten feet or more.
Interesting and fascinating as always... I always learn a new thing with your replies....

I ll keep you posted although a bit slow, I am occupied at work and the rest of the time I get, I just sit and enjoy the music... The hobby that I had totally lost in last 7 or 8 years..
This new setup gives me huge flexibility and on top I have a big living room to enjoy the music.. And i spent very little to get this going, God bless the inventors of these efficient and powerful class D amplifiers....

Does anyone have a trusted recommendation from where to buy Edifier speakers?

S1000MKII, which typically retails for 30k, is OOS on Amazon, FK, TataCliq and Croma

Back