Jio to Launch 5G on Aug 15

so the Jio 5G experience with standalone 5G will be better in what way?

What would you expect
I came across this article on 5g standalone vs non standalone. So it looks like it's cloud based services a lot. Reliance has data centers and aws etc. So we will see another round of other telecom companies trying to play catch with Jio again. End goal of all networks is to go standalone.

I came across this article on 5g standalone vs non standalone. So it looks like it's cloud based services a lot. Reliance has data centers and aws etc. So we will see another round of other telecom companies trying to play catch with Jio again. End goal of all networks is to go standalone.
The way I'm thinking if it is standalone includes mm wave so 26Ghz frequencies with poles on every street. Here you need the cloud services as data volume is an order of magnitude or more. Great if you're stationary, not so much otherwise as signal penetration at that frequency in air is crap. I mean rain is enough to disrupt transmission at that high of a frequency.

Whereas non-standalone is just a souped-up 4G with faster speed and lower latency than the existing 4G.

If Jio wants to get 5G out they will have to offer non-standalone and work on the mm wave thing in their own time. This will be the same plan with the others as well.

The way I'm thinking if it is standalone includes mm wave so 26Ghz frequencies with poles on every street. Here you need the cloud services as data volume is an order of magnitude or more. Great if you're stationary, not so much otherwise as signal penetration at that frequency in air is crap. I mean rain is enough to disrupt transmission at that high of a frequency.

Whereas non-standalone is just a souped-up 4G with faster speed and lower latency than the existing 4G.

If Jio wants to get 5G out they will have to offer non-standalone and work on the mm wave thing in their own time. This will be the same plan with the others as well.
SA is not needed for mmWave. No one is going to mass deploy mmWave. That will be for marketing and I assume Ambani will get it at Reliance HQ, Antilia and BKC.

SA is cloud-native by design which allows more use cases around speed and latency. However, it will support all the bands. Since Jio never had to invest in 2G/3G core network, they had already started deploying 5G core a little while back when setting up new towers and upgrading existing ones. Airtel and Vi don't have the money to upgrade the core network any time soon and have to rely on NSA.

I think mm wave needs direct line of sight.

Like our grandfathers, our kids going to study under the light pole.
I was going to make fun but i remembered that in Japan, Rakuten has literally installed 5g boxes on such poles. I saw this on live streams on YT. So we will probably see Jio or others 5g boxes on light poles near our house.

It's coming

Funny, the first article says:
With mmWave 5G FWA products, consumers will be able to enjoy super high speeds sitting at their homes and won't require fibre broadband connections any more.

Second article says the same company produces fiber cables. Why would they want to kill their own business? Too much money?

I doubt fibre optic connections are going anywhere when the existing mobile networks can't give more than 1-2MB speeds on 4g now for most people. I don't think 5g will give anything close to 500Mbps or 1Gbps the fibre connection gives consistently 24/7.

Price could be a factor in determining the speeds. If they price it high, that means less people will use the spectrum and hence relatively better speeds.

Although, I can contradict myself given that how Jio has practically spoilt everyone with cheap data, so they can definitely price it higher knowingly that people will still opt for it.

Second article says the same company produces fiber cables. Why would they want to kill their own business? Too much money?

I doubt fibre optic connections are going anywhere when the existing mobile networks can't give more than 1-2MB speeds on 4g now for most people. I don't think 5g will give anything close to 500Mbps or 1Gbps the fibre connection gives consistently 24/7.
They said the said thing about mobiles replacing landlines. I'm not getting rid of my landlines. They've been stable and have power backup like mobile towers.

Dude 5g is last mile services .global/national/inter state internet traffic happens on fiber.

if last mile goes wireless with high speed , the operational and maintenance cost reduces ,you dont buy router /modems no deposit charges no laying cables in house .so you completely remove cost of using a technology you just pay for the service that you use.

When internet penetration increases there will be increase of CDNS within india across multiple states /cities so the average user internet speed too will increase a win win situation for all the parties.

5g would truly revolutionize connectivity at least for developing nations

Our major government banks network connectivity at least about 8-9 years was with bsnl mtnl with crappy reliability and major issues being cables cuts etc lateron they moved to airtel ,voda,reliance tcl etc but still major issues were cables cuts in the cities or in around last mile.The average network speed was around 256kbps to 512kbps , later on it was 1-2 mbps . As per me at least 5-6 mbps speed is more than enough for any small business ,10mbps would be great.

Sometimes we don't understand the profound impact of internet or i can say mobile internet in cities .Imagine a person applying for PAN card / ration card /passport from a remote village using online services instead of travelling to nearest city and running post to pillar. Railway ticket booking/utility bills and what not.

5G launched bois!

Reliance Jio, Airtel, and Vodafone-Idea will initially launch 5G in a few cities across the country, these include Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Gandhinagar, Gurugram, Hyderabad, Jamnagar, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, and Pune. 8 cities to start 5G from today.

It'll take 2 years more to provide service to whole country.

PM drives an RC which in sweden remotely connected through 5G

Dude look at the size of our country and the multiple hoops that the SP have to go through to get services delivered .We are pretty much in good shape
I know how big our country is. That's why I said I'm proud. It's not like there are 6 bigger countries than India with 5G already launched.

I’ve read that we need software update on several phones (android and ios) to get 5g. Any idea why this happens? Is it just for phones sold in Indian market or same issue for other counties as well?

I’ve read that we need software update on several phones (android and ios) to get 5g. Any idea why this happens? Is it just for phones sold in Indian market or same issue for other counties as well?
it is like making bhel kisko ko kam tikha kisko meetha , kisko pyaj nahi kisiko tamatar nahi .

Par thele pe to sab item chahiye na .

So when a country finalizes it drafts for all these 4g 5g bands everyone has to adhere to it .Once the spec is out .those specs are pushed to phones as updates and it will follow the country specific updates

.The average network speed was around 256kbps to 512kbps , later on it was 1-2 mbps . As per me at least 5-6 mbps speed is more than enough for any small business ,10mbps would be great.
I was experiencing lot of issues in browsing the net. Can't even load text only sites like reddit in app. Turns out the speed of Jio was less than 1Mbps and upload was 0-3Mbps. Times have changed a lot now. No websites will load on less than 5Mbps speeds. Even TE does not load for me at 1Mbps speeds. 10Mbps speed for business will just kill it. Do me a favor and go into your router settings and switch on QoS for your mobile. Set your mobile to get no more than 1Mbits speed and use it like that for a week. Then let me know how you feel about low speeds.

I was experiencing lot of issues in browsing the net. Can't even load text only sites like reddit in app. Turns out the speed of Jio was less than 1Mbps and upload was 0-3Mbps. Times have changed a lot now. No websites will load on less than 5Mbps speeds. Even TE does not load for me at 1Mbps speeds. 10Mbps speed for business will just kill it. Do me a favor and go into your router settings and switch on QoS for your mobile. Set your mobile to get no more than 1Mbits speed and use it like that for a week. Then let me know how you feel about low speeds.
I feel 10mbps is the bare minimum for a single user let alone a business. My fiber speed were downgraded to 8-9mbps due to some technical issues and the experience was pretty terrible since it was being used by 3 people at the same time.

Back