Jio to Launch 5G on Aug 15

Comments?
Good news for Bombay babas :D
Whats the point of 5G though? Jio is slower than BSNL 3G in my neck of the woods.
Masses won't be on it for some time yet. They are buying more bandwidth to accommodate when they do.

So you will have a few years of bliss and then it will become like your 3G is now by which time we will be discussing 6G rollout and the cycle repeats again
Standalone 5G does not work with 4G SIM cards but unlikely anyone will implement that in India.
It's not standalone so no need for a sim card
Most retailers can do that these days who are selling BSNL sim but I'll suggest some caution before taking the dip based on 10 Mbps claims since my BSNL has been patchy with latency being the major culprit.
BSNL has good coverage if you are out in the country. In a metro is a different story.
You say this when government is the largest stakeholder of Vi. As if mismanagement of BSNL and MTNL was not enough. Guess it will be privatized and sold to Jio soon enough for peanuts.
BSNl+post+railways could become one of the largest corporations in the world

Can't use words like privatise in India. Privatise means the board of directors can be fired. The word they like is disinvestment. The Board of directors remains.
I think it was unethically fine imposed by govt of India on vodafone because it didn't get a slice of vodafone-hutch takeover. Later it was turned into shares when govt lost in the court. I could be wrong though.

But in any case, our tax money is being wasted.
I thought you were referring to the stunt that the previous govt pulled with retroactive taxes on Voda.

The current govt spent years telling investors it would not happen again. I wonder how many believed that :sorry:

Last edited:
Voda case was congress gift and needed honorable exit for all stakeholder. Govt took stake as birla insisted on sale out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220812-155407_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20220812-155407_Speedtest.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 118
A lot of random articles popping in feed saying that they will be launching in some 10-15 cities(the usual metro + A listers) by this month end. Let's see

Tier II cities have pretty consistent speeds on 4G, Airtel being better in my experience i’m airtel user insides i get around 20-25Mbps. JiO on the other hand never manages to go over 10.

But yes every time i’m in mumbai it struggles to open a webpage, lot of times i have to restart the device to make internet crawl. So this race to launch 5G is just for bragging rights, they should first provide real 4G speeds and im sure outside of enthusiast crowd, majority will be satisfied.

I already have a broadband connection, all my higher bandwidth needs are fulfilled by that, and 4g easily gives 10-15mbps, which is enough for pretty much all tasks done on mobile phones, hell you can even stream 1080p videos on the fly. personally I don't see any practical use of 5g other than bragging rights.

also when you start to increase the bandwidth, the range gets reduced, which in turn requires more transmission towers, which will result in higher costs for both 5g and 4g- (majority) users.

Most of the views regarding 5g launch being related to bragging rights/enthusiasts makes sense but just rewind a bit, like 6-7 years, when similar arguments were being made against 4G and it's cost when 3G wasn't even utilized to its capacity.
We were pretty okay with 3G speeds (such a relief from edge era) & any media consumption was limited to wifi, but over last few years proliferation developed use cases and here we are at some unprecedented high level of per capita data consumption.
5G too shall find similar usage/use case in next few years & I hope it will start making much more sense.

Most of the views regarding 5g launch being related to bragging rights/enthusiasts makes sense but just rewind a bit, like 6-7 years, when similar arguments were being made against 4G and it's cost when 3G wasn't even utilized to its capacity.
We were pretty okay with 3G speeds (such a relief from edge era) & any media consumption was limited to wifi, but over last few years proliferation developed use cases and here we are at some unprecedented high level of per capita data consumption.
5G too shall find similar usage/use case in next few years & I hope it will start making much more sense.
We never got anywhere close to the potential of 4G because of the population density. That will not change for 5G either, especially if you focus on its low latency benefits.

Operators might bump up the speed initially and may be then settle at somewhere less than 50 Mbps which is a fraction of existing 4G capability.

Tier II cities have pretty consistent speeds on 4G, Airtel being better in my experience i’m airtel user insides i get around 20-25Mbps. JiO on the other hand never manages to go over 10.
How is Jio's 4G signal strength compared to Airtel?

But yes every time i’m in mumbai it struggles to open a webpage, lot of times i have to restart the device to make internet crawl. So this race to launch 5G is just for bragging rights, they should first provide real 4G speeds and im sure outside of enthusiast crowd, majority will be satisfied.
Fewer people will be on 5G so that webpage will come up faster than 4G. Especially in metros.

Fewer people will be on 5G so that webpage will come up faster than 4G. Especially in metros.
That will again reduce as more people join the bandwagon. This will be the case with the launch of affordable (assuming) Jio 5G phones. While they have purchased a good amount of spectrum, it will still be less given our high tele-density.

There's a new thing that's on block, E-Band spectrum which has been offered by government for the operators for backend overhaul which will be needed for huge bandwidth requirement for 5G. It has only been opted by Airtel as of now and is expected to augment the capacity especially where BTS are not connected by OFC.

With the launch of 5G, I’m sure tariffs are going to increase. Initially, roll out would probably be in metro cities but I hope they cover tier II and tier III cities as well.

Sub-6GHz is suppose to have better penetration and travel long distance but doesn’t have speeds as good as mm wave. So in areas where connectivity is poor rolling out of 5G might be a blessing.

With the launch of 5G, I’m sure tariffs are going to increase. Initially, roll out would probably be in metro cities but I hope they cover tier II and tier III cities as well.

Sub-6GHz is suppose to have better penetration and travel long distance but doesn’t have speeds as good as mm wave. So in areas where connectivity is poor rolling out of 5G might be a blessing.
ARPU is the most important parameter for telecom companies. The golden era is over and the industry is an oligopoly now. The costs will keep increasing regardless and 5G helps justify it even more.

How is Jio's 4G signal strength compared to Airtel?

They are on par, JIO has more coverage and subscribers, but the quality has gone down where airtel continues to optimise their network which results in very consistent speeds.

Around 29th September during Indian Mobile Congress .
by Diwali for jio 5G in 'multiple key cities' and by Dec 2023 to every town in India.

Date keeps getting pushed back :bored:

Back