Fast food giant Kentucky Fried Chicken's (KFC) outlet in Thiruvananthapuram was closed down on Monday after worms were found wriggling out of a chicken dish served to a family.
Shiju Abdul Basheer and his family had ordered broasted and 'fiery chicken' dish worth Rs. 870. When Basheer' wife cut a small piece of 'fiery chicken' to feed her daughter she couldn't believe her eyes -- tiny worms peeping out of the deep-fried chicken leg. When they alerted the hotel staff they immediately apologized and offered to replace the dish which they refused.
"When I refused the replacement they tried to forcibly grab the dish from the table. At this point other customers intervened and alerted the police and food safety officials," said Basheer. After reaching his home in Palode, on the outskirts of the city, Basheer showed symptoms of food poisoning and got hospitalized.
Food safety officials and police later raided the kitchen and seized chicken-filled bags that were four-five month old. Later officials sealed the restaurant for violating food safety norms. "We have collected 13 food samples and sent for examination. The outlet can't open till examination reports are out," a senior officer of the food safety department said.
Following this two other outlets in the state (Kozhikode and Kochi) were also raided by food safety officials. Confirming the incident an official said KFC would co-operate with the ongoing probe.
"There is no possibility of live worms in chicken pieces which are fried in 260 degree Celsius. We don't know how it happened. An internal inquiry is on," the official said.
The incident came in the wake of a statewide clamp down on unhygienic food joints. Two months back a techie had died after consuming 'sheverma' (an Arab dish) from a city outlet.
Damn. Kfc is my favourite outlet.. so this obviously blows it.
1) How many of you would actually know whom to contact if such a situation arises at any restaurant ?
2) How many of you would let them take away the dish ?