[Kerala] KFC outlet closed after serving worm infested chicken dish

Fast food giant Kentucky Fried Chicken's (KFC) outlet in Thiruvananthapuram was closed down on Monday after worms were found wriggling out of a chicken dish served to a family.
Shiju Abdul Basheer and his family had ordered broasted and 'fiery chicken' dish worth Rs. 870. When Basheer' wife cut a small piece of 'fiery chicken' to feed her daughter she couldn't believe her eyes -- tiny worms peeping out of the deep-fried chicken leg. When they alerted the hotel staff they immediately apologized and offered to replace the dish which they refused.

"When I refused the replacement they tried to forcibly grab the dish from the table. At this point other customers intervened and alerted the police and food safety officials," said Basheer. After reaching his home in Palode, on the outskirts of the city, Basheer showed symptoms of food poisoning and got hospitalized.

Food safety officials and police later raided the kitchen and seized chicken-filled bags that were four-five month old. Later officials sealed the restaurant for violating food safety norms. "We have collected 13 food samples and sent for examination. The outlet can't open till examination reports are out," a senior officer of the food safety department said.

Following this two other outlets in the state (Kozhikode and Kochi) were also raided by food safety officials. Confirming the incident an official said KFC would co-operate with the ongoing probe.
"There is no possibility of live worms in chicken pieces which are fried in 260 degree Celsius. We don't know how it happened. An internal inquiry is on," the official said.

The incident came in the wake of a statewide clamp down on unhygienic food joints. Two months back a techie had died after consuming 'sheverma' (an Arab dish) from a city outlet.

Source

Damn. Kfc is my favourite outlet.. so this obviously blows it.

But...

1) How many of you would actually know whom to contact if such a situation arises at any restaurant ?
2) How many of you would let them take away the dish ?

Avoid all these fast food restaurants, especially the US based ones. The food is lame anyway, almost every dish tastes and smells the same.

1. No idea. Surely would like to have some phone numbers for such cases.
2. This has happened in my own company cafeteria. The guys apologized and said take today's food for free. I was like WTF!!! you talking.

Complained to the facilities department, he was in cahoots with the vendor. Then had to complain to HR, who took it in their hands. Removed the vendor and now we can actively give our feedback. I still doubt if they even look at what we give as feedback though.

Another case happened with a friend who went to subway. He had some veg sub, the one which has sauce and vegetables mixed (forgot the name). It had a worm inside it. He let it go when they offered new chicken dish for free.

Problem is we are so uninformed as customers.

i have eaten twice at kfc , never liked it , actually i dont like dominos , kfc and mcdonalds ..oh i cant stand mcdonalds, dont get why people get sucked into it , its just so tasteless

"There is no possibility of live worms in chicken pieces which are fried in 260 degree Celsius. We don't know how it happened. An internal inquiry is on," the official said.

WTF!! The moron doesn't get it. As if it would be OK if the worms were dead when chicken was fried. How can they use chicken that was 4-5 months old stock?

The shawarma case sparked state-wide raids across all the major restaurants and food joints. Some of the hotels were shut down by the officials in mufti, citing poor hygienic conditions concerning storage of food and raw materials, cooking utensils not being washed properly etc. Most shawarma and fast-food joints were shut down for a couple of months until the issue stabilized.

But the good part is almost all the hotels in Kerala nowadays have good hygiene overall – the wash basins and wash rooms are sparkling clean, the kitchens are a lot more cleaner than it used to be before with proper storage of raw materials and meat, cooking utensils are frequently washed.

But finding worms on the fried chicken is on a different scale altogether! :dead:

Ohh crap, now this makes me worried. Glad that family got to know about this. I will think twice before going to fast food chains :-O

for the worms to be alive, probably they didn't roast or fry it in hot enough oil for long time. must have taken it from a broken fridge which might not be cooling properly (because worms cannot live in cold places) and then put it directly in fryer.

i had a taste of kfc fried chicken long time back and it was like yuk. it was cooked too much, and was tasteless, and hardly any masala or anything in it. and people who had bought it were saying its so good and yummy. i wondered if they said that because they spent a lot on it and did not want to feel cheated.

if this incident happened in usa, all kfc outlets would be under the scanner, and the family would be getting around a million dollars in compensation. nothing like that here i guess.

Edit:
1 - dont know whom to contact. such numbers are not advertised anywhere. the govt is not proactive.
2 - i'd take a pic or two of the offending food from my mobile or video record it for evidence. cant fight if 2-3 waiters come at you at same time.

Some unintended human errors can be pardoned in some circumstances. but worm in chicken, and knowing that its 5 months old - its too much.

Well, I kinda like the KFC chicken - but now it seems I might have to look for alternatives.
Those roadside roll, tandoori are tasty, but not really hygienic.
And I thought these KFC, McD were maintaining some standard in hygiene.

was it Kentucky fried chicken or Kerala fried chicken ??
i have seen many unofficial franchisees running as karnataka fried chicken, bangalore fried chicken and the likes here in bangalore !

Worms in chicken :dead:
Hope the food safety officers raid every place and check for safety, and may be these dumb hotel owners will learn from it and serve decently.

I don`t get the problem, chickens eat worms, so whether or not you actually find wiggling ones in your dish, you are infact eating worms.

:p

I don`t get the problem, chickens eat worms, so whether or not you actually find wiggling ones in your dish, you are infact eating worms.

:p

Well they also use shit (animal shit, earthworm shit and what not) and other animal matter as fertilizer for plants and crops grow from it, does that mean that anybody who eats plant food has no problem eating shit? :p

On another note, do you guys know that the chicken nuggets and similar stuff sold by fast food joints like KFC is made up of meat extracted from parts like the head, digits on their legs and internal parts that are usually discarded.

Well they also use shit (animal shit, earthworm shit and what not) and other animal matter as fertilizer for plants and crops grow from it, does that mean that anybody who eats plant food has no problem eating shit? :p

On another note, do you guys know that the chicken nuggets and similar stuff sold by fast food joints like KFC is made up of meat extracted from parts like the head, digits on their legs and internal parts that are usually discarded.

Oh god, please stop, this thread is getting too gross for reality, and my beloved food item is now getting repulsive.

But, honestly the compliance to standards is extremely poor in our country, and the watchdogs have to get their act together.

Back