La Tomatina in India

blr_p said:
Exactly so to waste one tomato how much tax does one have to pay ?

I think that really ought to settle any 'concerns' ppl might have. Given how unanimous they have been here one thought i was talking to my mother.

Saw this on the tv the other day and was thinking wouldn't it be cool to have something like that over here. IT WOULD BE FUN, remember FUN.

But then how many ppl are going to say waste waste blah blah.

Hah :p

I live the life of a bachelor and TBH my stomach growled when i read through the topic :ashamed: all i could think of was spending a rainy day feasting on rice with piping hot Sambar made from those tomatoes :drool2:

Oh and the last time i checked, 'fun' in the truest sense, does not carry a heavy price tag :no:

pauldmps said:
^^ Only since it ia western product, so it is "FUN" & since Holi is Indian, it is boring. I dunno when people with come out this mentality
Who said holi is less fun and this is more fun ? For whom ?

You're just setting up strawmen here. Why is foreign anything supposedly bad.

Personally i think whacking somebody else with something should always be fun :eek:hyeah:

Quite cathartic, in fact. So primal.

quixand said:
I'll post 2 things later -

1. Rusell Peter's joke on American Weddings and the tradition of throwing rice on the newly weds. It's funny.
Thats another thing i'd like to see more of, just feels classy & different. Does not stick to your clothes either. Have sugested it but ppl do not seem to do that sort of thing here (!)

Not sure if its an american thing, i'm thinking european and its a country thing.

sid_donnydarko said:
Oh and the last time i checked, 'fun' in the truest sense, does not carry a heavy price tag :no:
Ah, so fun shouldn't be expensive then but it does have a price. So what's to stop it becoming pricey then.

Fun is fun, cheap or not.

I'm pretty sure sure most of you have watched Russel Peter's stand up act, outrageously funny. Do check out other shows if you haven't. Here's a small excerpt on his parent's take on Western tradition of showering the newly weds with rice at wedding.

Holi Festival in Utah, USA. Had been doing the rounds on facebook. There was a video promoting this event but couldn't find it. Editing, Shots were better there.

blr_p said:
Who said holi is less fun and this is more fun ? For whom ?

You might have not said that but that's what most "rich & modern" youth in today's world feel.

Why is foreign anything supposedly bad.

It is not about being bad but being unnecessary. We are not in Europe. We have a unique culture of which we are proud of & which people from other countries admire. I just don't like today's youth forgetting our culture & adopting things which are not our own.

Would European youth adopt our culture ? No. So why should we do theirs ? It their stuff better than us?

Holi is much more colorful that this orange tomato stuff.

Personally i think whacking somebody else with something should always be fun :eek:hyeah:

In that case, you should join Delhi or Pune or Ranchi police. They are spending a good amount of time whacking off general public who're protesting in peaceful ways.

(Just kidding, don't take it seriously).

Don't understand the naysayers. It's my hard earned money, for heaven's sake. I wanna blow it up for fun, so be it. I can't feed the nation.

Cheers..

Waste of precious food. Instead use this money for charity. and give food to people who are dying hungry.

I dont understand why do we have to follow western culture every time.

If western people say say YOGA is good then you will find everybody following yoga.

if they endorse Ayurveda / Herbal products then we go crazy after those products.

Dont we have our self esteem !!

Such an absurd idea...highest of aping the west and Cinema! :( What is wrong with these ppl?

such a waste of food...even if your country don't have millions starving

If someone wants to throw tomatoes at others and pay a fat sum for it, so be it :p.

I'd not do it myself. However if someone wants to, whats there to stop them.

Every one blows up money someway or the other - be it holi, diwali or whatever.

pauldmps said:
You might have not said that but that's what most "rich & modern" youth in today's world feel.
Thats just lame, sid hinted derisively at this idea where if its cheap it isn't fun. Of course only the rich would say that because there is no way for them to snob others about it. Holi is quite unique not aware of any other culture doing something similar.

There is another thing i dont want the 'rich & modern ' to mess with and that is diwali. You can get away with crazy stuff here compared to abroad. Quite insane.

pauldmps said:
It is not about being bad but being unnecessary. We are not in Europe. We have a unique culture of which we are proud of & which people from other countries admire. I just don't like today's youth forgetting our culture & adopting things which are not our own.
Subjective and smells of the same thing you accuse the 'rich & modern'. Basically here its fear that foreign stuff will supplant indigenous. It could or it could enrich as well. There's just too many ppl in this country to lose its basic nature.

Do you eat chillies (mexican), tomatoes & potatoes (both from s.america) , well those are all foreign and not indigenous. Can you imagine not cooking with them in 'indian' dishes. There's prolly a lot more as well. but nobody seems to care. Pomergranates are from Iran. Tobacco is from the america, Naans are from afghanistan. Tea comes from China, if it wasn't the craze the Brits had over it we'd never have become tea drinkers.

All of this comes from trade, so what is the problem with trade of ideas ?

pauldmps said:
Would European youth adopt our culture ? No. So why should we do theirs ? It their stuff better than us?
This way of thinking keeps us dumb & uninformed. Why hold european youth up at the altar as if they are the best. The problem we have here is we don't develop stuff as fast as they do. Use ideas and come up with new things. Keeping a closed mind only keeps us in the same ditch.

Was in the country some time back and what surprised me was youth singing folk songs of their parents generation, do they have any folk songs of their generation, no. Why ? no answer.

pauldmps said:
In that case, you should join Delhi or Pune or Ranchi police. They are spending a good amount of time whacking off general public who're protesting in peaceful ways.

(Just kidding, don't take it seriously).
or become a rowdy :eek:hyeah:

way to take a small discussion and take it into the way of it was never intended , were you captain of your school debate team :D

hey, i did not get into this thread until late. So many ppl here having such a big problem of this little thing.

I read some where that the number of people in india who are living without food is almost equal to the whole population of USA.so do we really need a stupid event like this? andthe thing about a part of funds going to NGO's is plain PR bullshit because god only knows how much of the funds will actually reach the needy after filling the pockets of fat asspoliticians event handlers and middlemen.

Otaku said:
Seems like a fad...let us see whay happens next year. IMO, we already have festivals like Holi and this 'import' is not necessary.
I doubt if it will last...ppl will have another movie next year to ape off few things! :p and also they might realize it isnt as fun as it looks on TV! :D

A delegation of tomato growers from Kolar district, environmentalists and NGO representatives had met Mr Gowda and told him that "throwing for fun at each other, tomatoes grown through hard work by farmers reflects foreign culture. In the name of 'La Tomatina' festival, permission should not be granted to waste tomatoes".
Fcuk em.

That has got to be the lamest reason i've ever read. Its not a waste if they've been paid for.

Oh well i guess nothing better than actually going to spain to enjoy this festival without any of this stupid nonsense.

Am proud at least my city offered to hold this, unfortunately some twats decided to spoil it.

blr_p said:
Fcuk em.

That has got to be the lamest reason i've ever read. Its not a waste if they've been paid for.

Oh well i guess nothing better than actually going to spain to enjoy this festival without any of this stupid nonsense.

Am proud at least my city offered to hold this, unfortunately some twats decided to spoil it.

you are the arundhati roy types i guess :p
According to experts, Arundhati Roy could be the only Indian citizen who might oppose asylum to Gaddafi. “She might have supported the idea if others were overwhelmingly opposed to it,†an expert said

just for laughs though

Indians tempted as Gaddafi offers cheap petrol in return for safe haven | Faking News

blr_p said:
Fcuk em.

Scenario A: Holiday in Spain for a lakh and enjoy a festival at the same time

or

Scenario B: Blow up a grand on a nonnative festival conducted by people who wouldn't even know where to begin with its history

Some of you might feel that i'm taking advantage of word-play. But even if i didn't i'd still stick with Scenario A.

Back