Lenovo P780 Alleged Problems

@smnrock Hey thanks for the link...It says "Extra government charges may be applicable for your item(s) which needs to be paid on delivery. An official receipt will be provided." before applying the coupon....After coupon, price is around Rs. 15633/-. I want it shipped to Kolkata as I am currently based here. Any idea if there will be an additional charge ?

i am not sure whether the internal storage is partitioned or it's a combination of two separate memory chips (a costlier one for the OS and a cheaper one for user). i found this device to be very cumbersome to hold and use, so i didn't tinker with it. generally, phones with 8GB capacity leaves around 4GB for the user and same is the case with this phone too. if you set the default to external disk then i guess only the apps installed afterwards will be put on the external card. the ones already installed need to be manually moved. i believe you already know that auto-start apps cannot be moved to external SD card. so games and other useless heavy apps can be moved to SD card (this issue is not lenovo-specific).

So, the above link posted by smnrock has raised price to 18.6k....Any other good deals or coupons for the P780 or should I just get it from a local store ? Planning to get it before new year ![DOUBLEPOST=1387808890][/DOUBLEPOST]Any offer better than this currently? Should I order on tradus or wait for a better offer? Please help.

Attachments

• P780Tradus.jpg
    P780Tradus.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
^^ if you've used touchscreen based smartphones in the past then i'd suggest that you get the feel of P780 in a store. buttons, camera etc are located at worst possible places for a right-handed user. it must've been designed by some idiot. if you put a back case on it then things get more difficult.

No 3G or WiFi issues so far, using an iPad & Note 2 simultaneously ; similar network reception..

I agree with above post for camera and button positions, but it's something you'll get used to, pretty fast.

Most under reviewed feature is it's camera, I have found it to be very good in par with Note 2 ! Even low light and HD video capabilities are decent, a big plus from my side.

^Thanks... waiting for mine to receive! Friend and myself both ordered from the ebay link...it was really good offer. 15.6K is for phone + 16GB sandisk(class 4) + jabra + extra OTG cable.

So, the above link posted by smnrock has raised price to 18.6k....Any other good deals or coupons for the P780 or should I just get it from a local store ? Planning to get it before new year ![DOUBLEPOST=1387808890][/DOUBLEPOST]Any offer better than this currently? Should I order on tradus or wait for a better offer? Please help.
Have you seen the P780 at local stores?

I found the P780 after a lot of searching in the local stores. I found it in Nikky's and the store just beside it. These shops are in Chandni Chowk.
Nikky's quoted 18.2k and the one beside it said something around 18.5k for the 8GB version. (these prices are 2 weeks old)
I did not have the time to visit Aanchal Telecom(Gariahat Mall or Metro Shopping Plaza, maidan metro station). They usually offer the lowest prices. Mumtazuddin is not stocking Lenovo phones anymore.

If you find it in any other shop, do let me know the name, location of the shop and the quoted price. Will buy it next month most probably.

Can some one on TE who has bought a P780 please do a mini review with some image samples in outdoor and indoor as well as night shots...Also, can someone clarify the wifi issue being reported by many users ? This would be really helpful since there are not many reviews for this model. Thanks in advance.

Actually, you've been trying to buy this phone for quite some time but you were not taking the plunge... So, I had to ask.

For your piece of mind, let me tell you that P780 is inferior to a 3 years old Samsung Galaxy S2 International version.

P780's
- WiFi reception is inferior to S2. But I haven't faced any dropouts/dead zones so far.
- Call quality is inferior to S2
- Touch response is inferior to S2
- Loud speaker for music/video is acceptable but I cannot hear my phone ringing when I am outside. Faced no such issues with my other phones.
- Battery capacity is way better than S2
- Battery type is inferior to S2
- Sensors are not so sensitive
- USSD notification issue is present but it's not a show stopper. There are workarounds available.
- Back camera quality is inferior to S2 but the camera software has many options/settings.
- FM radio reception is inferior in comparison to S2

Few things that depend on personal taste:
- Screen quality: it's LCD. I like Samsung's Amoled displays (at least, I get to see the real Blacks). Also, you can see the ugly digitizer matrix beneath P780's screen.
- Weight: LiPo battery makes this phone too heavy.
- Buttons, camera and mic locations: are at worst possible places. Though, you won't much issues if you are a lefty.:rolleyes: And I guess Lenovo put the power button on top for the likes of Khali and Yetis.
- Buttons are not snug fit. I guess it's not a flaw.
- LED notification light: is located inside the speaker grill. I can't spot it when the phone is lying in front of me on a desk. So many design flaws made me realized that P780 was conceived by a mentally challenged person.
- It's a Mediatek based unpopular device, so you'll face issues finding good ROMs, tweaks etc. Not a dev-friendly device.
- Back cover was supposed to make this phone look more professional but I think they failed here as well.
- And because it's not so popular, there are very few accessories available for this phone. I think the phone is too heavy and big to survive a fall without any protection.
- Area covered by capacitive touch buttons is way too small. So, you have to make sure that you put your finger bang on top of the icon or you'll miss the 'click'. Even the cheaper phones have better ergonomics.

Want to know anything else?

@gauravH, Hey thanks for the comprehensive review. That should sort out most of the doubts although all i really wanted to know was regarding any wifi issues. Yes, i totally agree with you on the design flaws. It's unarguably stupid, especially the unlock key which is the most used button on a daily basis. Only work around i got was to install screen on/off app to lock and unlock without having to use the actual key.

So, i ordered the phone and il receive it in the evening. Just wanted to know which screenguards you guys are using because i know its a higly reflective screen. Should i order one online or check out local shops.... Chances of finding one locally would be very less.

Back