Lenovo P780 Alleged Problems

the only problem with its wifi I found is the range... compared to S2, it shows poor range.

Smart cover ? What does that do ? Like ones with nexus 7 with magnet in it ?

i bought a matte screen protector for P780 and it does a good job in eliminating smudges/fingerprints. i've posted the link somewhere on TE.

there are 2 problems with a matte screen guard for P780:
1) touch sensitivity is already an issue with P780 and a matte screen aggravates this problem. i am coming from Galaxy series and probably i am accustomed to smooth screen flows.
2) it makes the text and pictures really dull on an already dull LCD display. again, my opinion may be biased because of my good experience with Samsung's AMOLED.

i didn't go for a flip cover because it would've added to the bulk of this phone. moreover, it'd impede one handed operation. lastly, Lenovo idiots didn't launch the official flip cover in India.

the only problem with its wifi I found is the range... compared to S2, it shows poor range.

Smart cover ? What does that do ? Like ones with nexus 7 with magnet in it ?

what about non wi fi radio reception - lower wifi range is not an issue for most since wifi routers are pretty powerful these days!

I beg to differ with gauravH..

1. Lenovo touch isn't that bad. I sold my note 2 on this forum after fully satisfied with P780.
Some amount of lag specially after 4.3 update was clearly evident on note 2 and almost all android devices I've used, includes S4 and HTC one too.

Solution: root via frameroot, install set CPU and apply max frequencies with performance as CPU Governor. It solves this problem if annoying.
Uninstall Norton security too, and get some other security app. It partly adds to the problem. Kill background ruining apps.
Change to Nova launcher instead of Lenovo,

2. Ergonomics though appear weird initially to previous Samsung users but it's nothing that you won't get used to.

3. Phone looks and feels more professional, better than cheap plastics.

4. Unlock issue is well solved by magnetic cover. Get it, it's far premium and excellent quality too, worth more than you pay for it.

5. No connectivity issues, whatever issues I faced due to routine dual Sim card problems, which I've faxed in other dual Sim phones too

6. Wi-Fi reception and FM reception is excellent.

7. Screen is average but not bad, lack of gorilla glass makes flip cover a must !

7. It's on a heavier side due to great battery and metal back, but evokes confidence when you're holding it.

8. Super fast camera with excellent performance, even for videos. Suited for portraits mostly, not for serious photography anyway, low light performance is far below Lumia series .

At this price point it's worth the money spent.
So far so good enjoying,

Anything else?

How about XOLO Q3000 as an alternative to P780 ?
I tried it at the local store, GPS was working great (10 Seconds - 9 Sat). UI was close to stock, relatively smooth, decent camera, 1080p screen.

@drkrack i wasn't referring to "lag" which depends on device's processing power. i specifically mentioned "touch sensitivity" which unfortunately, can't be fixed with your CPU governors.

anyways, except for your opinion on Wi-Fi reception, everything else depends on one's taste/experience etc. so, everyone will perceive those parameters differently.

BTW, whoever says that android users need to "kill" background apps don't know anything about how Unix/Linux or Android performs its memory management.

@gauravH Yes I dont know much abt memory management technicalities, but I do know that The Background apps Killing issue is a Controversy in itself, there is no clear consensus on that, though the android memory management docs may say that but, in real life scenario is totally different, many users of android would have experienced it. Else the Androids wouldn't have the need to double the ram every year, whereas devices with half the specs on iOS and Win Mobile are equally fast !
It did work in my case using android assistant 18 in 1, any others can try this out. Also P780 has a home screen widget which works brilliantly by releasing the Ram Clutter.

Agreed most of the issues are subjective, I would still suggest any prospective buyer to use it hands on before buying one, online reviews are not upto the mark when it comes to cheap mediatek devices .

@rakeshmarar I always buy Matte Screen from company called as VEEGEE available on Amazon and FK, They are bit on the expensive side but very good.

http://www.amazon.in/VEEGEE-Fingerprint-Screen-Protector-Scratch/dp/B00F46M2JM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1390329388&sr=8-5&keywords=p780

P780 Smart Cover

http://www.ttmalls.com/lenovo-p780-smart-flip-cover_p1349.html

Yes I haven't found any issues with screen responsiveness , maybe because I mostly don't Play games Much.
I use 3G sim while browsing actively where as 2G sim for most of the time for notifications, battery easily lasts for 2 1/2 days with significant calls mostly.
It has suited my needs very well as of now, after changing multiple devices when I switched over from BB, I must say I am pretty impressed.

Last edited:
@ drkrack : currently gravitating between p780 and BB q5. any pointers? i know the phones are not really comparable, but just worried about custom rom availability and hardiness and response of the P780...

do you have data always on for your P780? 2g .. and switch to 3g for browsing / youtube is also my preferred option. please provide some feedback on how easy/cumbersome this switching is etc...

@babhishek it's indeed a very weird comparison, I guess you need a no fuss phone with professional use.

I haven't used Q5 , used BB10 earlier and it's good.

P780 has good keyboard with swipe support, typing is very fast so no worries at all.
The only advantage of Q5 seems to be qwerty.. So typing is easily done on P780.
Hope this helps..

I reiterate .. The screen sensitivity issue is over blown one. Mostly in gaming I guess . routine user wouldn't be bothered about it. If gaming is your priority Q5 also is useless

Its been 2 days i have been using the p780 and its very very impressive so far.... Just a minor lag once in a while but very negligible. The battery is unbelievably long lasting. To be honest, i kinda like the default lenovo skin.... Am sure a skinned down plain vanilla rom would just do wonders. Also for typing, swiftkey is the way to go. Also, surprisingly the camera is excellent.

A lot of users apparently got a 7mb update when they first connected to wifi... I haven't got any it says my system is up to date. Can someone check the attachment and temme if mine is the latest version?
Also on calls i cant really hear the other person very well am sure there is some settings option to tinker with to sort it out but cant find it.

Attachments

• 1390494293214.jpg
    1390494293214.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 227
^^ LOL, can you guys please help me understand how a setting on your phone can affect the call quality/volume of the device at the other end?

Back