Lithuania urges people to throw away Chinese phones

Interesting...

I also read about Chinese smartphone companies looking at curtailing web searches and results...I for one would like to stay away from chinese stuff.

I also am against Chinese brands in general due to multiple reason including privacy, problem is that the non Chinese brands are also doing this to some extent. If someone is honestly concerned about privacy, they should really get off the grid & all the related technologies as much as they can. For normal folks, it is better to choose the lesser evil if there are alternatives. If not, do what you got to do because we are anyways broadcasting our every move on social media so...

I also am against Chinese brands in general due to multiple reason including privacy, problem is that the non Chinese brands are also doing this to some extent. If someone is honestly concerned about privacy, they should really get off the grid & all the related technologies as much as they can. For normal folks, it is better to choose the lesser evil if there are alternatives. If not, do what you got to do because we are anyways broadcasting our every move on social media so...

meh. its nothing different from what america is doing
It is not possible to completely avoid this as you guys mentioned all are doing it .

But it is about choosing lesser Evil. China is a bully and supporting them is like supporting Nazi Germany and waiting for evil to be unleashed upon the world . It is better to look for alternatives where ever possible.
I myself am guilty of buying chinese products but also started to check for alternatives too.

It is clearly a political and not a smartphone issue.

the charges against Huawei is laughable.They are not even trying to mask that the issue is political. Which is ok.

I don’t mind the political stance but making fools out of readers with headlines is irritating.

Not related but I recently joined a different project and found that they have PingID for the 2FA and they have told it will not work on RedMi devices and my team mates with Xiaomi Mi phones too told it doesn't work on their phones.

Not a surprise that all the Chinese versions of Android keep monitoring content all the time, but can't imagine it impacting spec-obsessed purchases in India in any manner.

Was reading this report in the morning and just wondering if it would find its way to TE or not, and here it is. :D:D When you're "gareeb & kamzor" the best option is the only option that your money can fetch you. Had India been truly "Atmanirbhar" we could have had some options available. But so far it is wishful thinking.

It is not possible to completely avoid this as you guys mentioned all are doing it .

But it is about choosing lesser Evil. China is a bully and supporting them is like supporting Nazi Germany and waiting for evil to be unleashed upon the world . It is better to look for alternatives where ever possible.
I myself am guilty of buying chinese products but also started to check for alternatives too.
what exactly is the lesser evil? USA with its rampant capitalism destroying the earth and waging wars or china with its communism and treatment of uyghurs in concentration camps?

what exactly is the lesser evil? USA with its rampant capitalism destroying the earth and waging wars or china with its communism and treatment of uyghurs in concentration camps?
For us Indians the answer is every easy anything but China and I would say for entire world too as of now if China's action are to be seen.

the Chinese are bullying every other country in the region. From South China sea issue with several countries that are dependent on it for resources , Taiwan, Japan, India and Bhutan.

By buying their stuff forget about privacy we are only making things difficult for our soldiers and our country. They are getting stronger and stronger with all the money they are making and their policies are extremely assertive .

If I have to choose between USA and China. I will choose USA they maybe no less but my country will have much less problem.
USA is not a reliable ally but they still are an ally. China is clearly an enemy and they will continue to be so for this century as it is the way it is.

India is in same position like Israel now surrounded by enemies ....Pakistan on the North West, China on the North , Nepal on the North not an enemy but we have many issues and they hardly support India , Bangladesh on the east is hidden enemy they are definitely more on Chinese side, Srilanka is a major problem and often taken anti-India stance and now we have Taliban too.

It is time we do start taking nationalist measures.

I am all for not supporting china but when you guy say buy American phones what you are saying is buy Apple or Pixels. The cheapest ones start at around 30k, thats too much for a phone for 99.9% of Indians including me. The only other option is Samsung but I have only bought their lower end phones and none of them lasted 2 years so I don't trust them either. I just buy Xiaomi phones and install custom ROM which again is not feasible for 99.9% Indians.
The point is you can't blame people for buying Chinese when there aren't any other real options.

The point is you can't blame people for buying Chinese when there aren't any other real options.
Nobody is blaming anyone here for buying Chinese products as we all have bought multiple things at some point of time knowingly or unknowingly & still continue to support Chinese products indirectly. The point is, we should try to avoid them if we can for multiple reasons as has been stated above. Regarding alternatives to Samsung & Apple at lower prices we honestly don't have much options but I think Samsung has recently started offering some decent phones in the sub 20k segment which are absolutely worth a look. They are no specifications king compared to the Chinese counterparts but they are still decent nonetheless. Again it is every individuals call regarding what works best for them & there is absolutely nothing wrong with what they choose, it is just that people should still be aware of the indirect costs associated with these brands be it Apple or Xiaomi.

I am all for not supporting china but when you guy say buy American phones what you are saying is buy Apple or Pixels. The cheapest ones start at around 30k, thats too much for a phone for 99.9% of Indians including me. The only other option is Samsung but I have only bought their lower end phones and none of them lasted 2 years so I don't trust them either. I just buy Xiaomi phones and install custom ROM which again is not feasible for 99.9% Indians.

Actually problem is There is a price our country is paying and will pay even more heavily in the long term for our short term benefits and that needs to be checked and considered by everyone on individual basis and no use blaming anyone .
On personal level I try to find a balance approach for now. I look for alternatives to chinese goods and see how the brand is. If it is slightly costly also and good brand I go for it . If I see I am saving good money and the alternative brand is average too . I go for Chinese stuff .
For my most important things ( like hiking and outdoor stuff) I avoid buying chinese stuff and infact pay a premium for a good brand because I know for extra money I am getting more reliable stuff and I am avoiding supporting Chinese Brand. It is very small way of me trying to keeping my country a little above my money.

meh. its nothing different from what america is doing
The difference though is that in US it was the NSA that went rogue with tapping data and even then they were not doing it with active co-operation of the companies, besides hiding it from the judiciary. Hence, we have the constant tussle with tech companies, their encryption and the intelligence agencies.

On the other hand, none of the tech companies in China are allowed to operate without providing the government direct access to their data. They also try to hide this fact through encryption and traffic redirection.

Data may be exploited in various ways but China actively does this in a very rogue-like manner.

The difference though is that in US it was the NSA that went rogue with tapping data and even then they were not doing it with active co-operation of the companies
Umm no. US Tech companies do need to provide data to US Govt. It's by law. Do check US Patriot Act. Do watch some of documentaries on Edward Snowden. He has exposed mass surveillance of US on the world.

There's no difference between US and China in this matter.

Actually problem is There is a price our country is paying and will pay even more heavily in the long term for our short term benefits and that needs to be checked and considered by everyone on individual basis and no use blaming anyone .
On personal level I try to find a balance approach for now. I look for alternatives to chinese goods and see how the brand is. If it is slightly costly also and good brand I go for it . If I see I am saving good money and the alternative brand is average too . I go for Chinese stuff .
For my most important things ( like hiking and outdoor stuff) I avoid buying chinese stuff and infact pay a premium for a good brand because I know for extra money I am getting more reliable stuff and I am avoiding supporting Chinese Brand. It is very small way of me trying to keeping my country a little above my money.
China is the manufacturing hub of the world. Even other countries companies have outsourced their manufacturing to them. Even if you won't buy a chinese company product, most other products will still have either been completely manufactured in China, or assemble from all parts made in China.
Also, China's trade with India is miniscule. Yes, we might be buying most of our stuff from China, but that doesn't mean it is a lot for them last I checked, India accounted for less than 3% of China's exports. So we might not cause them much harm, but will definitely cause bigger harm to ourselves by boycotting chinese products before we become self sufficient. The right way to do things would've been to become more and more self sufficient first and then increase import duties to make chinese products unfeasible to buy. But what most sellers/traders have done is just pass on the increased duties to the end customer and keep importing from China as they were doing before. And they have a strong reason to do that because they can't find the products that buyers wants as no one manufactures them in India.

Indians with third world problems really don't care or don't know about data thefts or cyber security issues, as someone said above, we still buy things which are cheaper and have good specs on paper, They might support ban or boycotts with China on issues like if there is tension on border, but China is very smart that way and they don't stir things up on that level.

China is the manufacturing hub of the world. Even other countries companies have outsourced their manufacturing to them. Even if you won't buy a chinese company product, most other products will still have either been completely manufactured in China, or assemble from all parts made in China.
Also, China's trade with India is miniscule. Yes, we might be buying most of our stuff from China, but that doesn't mean it is a lot for them last I checked, India accounted for less than 3% of China's exports. So we might not cause them much harm, but will definitely cause bigger harm to ourselves by boycotting chinese products before we become self sufficient. The right way to do things would've been to become more and more self sufficient first and then increase import duties to make chinese products unfeasible to buy. But what most sellers/traders have done is just pass on the increased duties to the end customer and keep importing from China as they were doing before. And they have a strong reason to do that because they can't find the products that buyers wants as no one manufactures them in India.
I know China is the hub but gradually many companies are moving out of China or are already planning to do so in next 5 years or so .
India has a good opportunity to tap them but we are not going to be too successful I think (because of our system) there and Vietnam, Malaysia and other countries might get them.

We have played a big role in making Xiaomi, Huwaei, Oppo and others a powerhouse.

This needs a strong plan from our Government and will from our people to counter China.

It is not something that will happen overnight but gradually we can move from China.
When PM Modi had called for Atmanirbhar Bharat .....I remember the Indian Industry took a note and pledge to move towards it. We Indians are smart and we can get the job done but we lack the will from people and from Government. The responsibility lies with both to counter China.

I think Indians will be the last in world to stop buying Chinese products. We take pride in buying cheap-ass things, but I am happy that Chinese products have slowly become synonymous with low end stuff. No one in their right mind wants to buy a 50k Chinese phone unless he or she is a crazy spec whore who like paper specs like 108 MP camera even though it takes images that are no better than others.

Back