PC Peripherals logitech z5300 or altec lansing 5021??

if u r spending 20+K rupees then add a few more K's and get the Klipsch PROMEDIA ULTRA 5.1.
much better Mid-Range and High's..........
and the Sub is the top in its class.....

deejay said:
if u r spending 20+K rupees then add a few more K's and get the Klipsch PROMEDIA ULTRA 5.1.
much better Mid-Range and High's..........
and the Sub is the top in its class.....
Deejay that one is 35K+ in India. Not worth the money.

If you are anyway thinking of going for the Z-5500s and your main interest is music, you may as well go for the Creative Megaworks 5.1 550. It is better than the Logitech Z-5500. and the difference between the Klipsch and the 5.1 550 is very less..

Also read my review of the 5.1 550 here --- http://www.techenclave.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3482

And see this review of the Z-680 vs Klipsch vs 5.1 550

http://archive.gamespy.com/hardware/february03/speakershootout/index.shtml

the Z-680 wins only by a small margin and that is mainly due to the street price and the other options like extra digital connectivity options and all that. If you will not be using those sort of options to connect a PS2, Xbox or DVD player, then it is not really useful..... You may as well go for the 5.1 550.

And the main difference between the Z-680 and Z-5500 is a redesigning of the speakers and the control centre. The sub is still not as tight as the Klipch or Cambridge Soundworks.

http://www.xtremeresources.com/modu...views&file=index&req=showcontent&id=74&page=4
http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews5/z5500-3.html

http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=141&page=2

Oh..... What the hell...... Just go ahead and buy the damn speakers...... They look so damn good.... and with the control centre and the wireless remote.....

Man!!! I am in love with these speakers all over again ...... Probably the only negatiove point would be that you cannot change the speaker wire unless you want to go a bit detailed into the system.... it does not seem to be very easy........

Around 24K. But if you are getting the Z-5500 for less, then go for it blindly....

Nikhil posted 3.73 minutes later:

Better you call up the Creative guy in Mumbai and find out for yourself....

Bell Computronics Shop No 1, Surshree Bldg., Ram Maruti Road Thane (W) 400 602 25424178/5433271 bellcomp@vsnl.com

Gujral Infotech B-149, Vashi Plaza, Sector 17,Vashi, Navi Mumbai - 400 705 27881371 gujralb@vsnl.com

MX INFO 6, Kantilal Comp (Opp Kodak Photo Lab) 28081650 satish@mxinfosys.com

PCWagon Sakina Mansion No 2, Sahar Road, Andheri(e), Mumbai 400069 56972670/80/90 sales@pcwagon.com

Realtime Computers Shop No 14/390E, Laxmi Bldg. (Opp. Swastik Cinema) Lamington Road. Mumbai - 400 004 23856344 realtimecomputers@vsnl.com

These are the retailers

COMPUAGE ---- Rashdhara Co-Op. Society, C-Wing, Gr. Floor, 385, S.V.P. Road, Opp. Vanita Vishram, Near H.N. Hospital, 022-30949886 23842207 nilesh@compuageindia.com

Cyberstar Infocom Ltd.
Fatima Villa
Behind Sterling Apts.
Off. Church Road
Marol, Andheri (E)
Mumbai - 400 059 022-28386711
022-28386712
022-28386713 022-28386714 Mr. Navin Mishra sales.mum@cyberstarindia.com

These are the distributors...... Try contacting them..... In Bangalore the only high end set available is the 5.1 550. So, they may give an inflkated figure..... but in Mumbai, it may be cheaper.....

lol u cant compare logitech to the creative cause the logitech wins hands down mainly because the decoder that they give with it. it is the best thing they have done. it looks amazing, has a wireless controller & the lcd display on it looks cool. its got digital coax stereo & 2 other connectors. worth it.
decoders seperately cost a lot.

btw where is it avail in pune for 21k.

The decoder is useful only if you use it with your PS2, DVD player or something like that. For computer use the soundcard decodes the formats...... If you use the digital input for the Logitechs, then you need to disable the soundcard decoding......

the sound difference is not much. finally it boils down to how much you like the wireless remote, the LCD display and all the extra features of the Logitech. But if the price is 21K for the Logitech, then go for it blindly..... Unless the Megaworks is available for 15K :bleh:

Otherwise, just go for the Logitechs......

if u think the digital optical & normal wires makes no diff then there is something wrong with ur ears nikhil. it makes a big diff. on the dvd player i.e i havent tried it on my audigy2.

On the Audigy, it does not make much of a difference mainly coz the digital input from the soundcard to the speaker is for the decoding.... not the actual sound..... And any other normal speaker set like the 5.1 550 cannot even be connected to the DVD player unless you buy the Creative Decoder DDTS 100 or something like that.

The digital output from the soundcard to the speaker is not for sound.... it is only for decoding.....

Nikhil posted 1.75 minutes later:

I was hell bent on buying the Logitechs and I contacted Logitech abt a zillion times relating to the digital connections. I asked them if they improve the sound quality when connected to my soundcard. They said NO. I asked why is it there?? Why can;'t you make a simple analog set... they said the digital connection is there for decoding. They said that the Z-5500 was not made only for the PC. It was made as a multipurpose set for the DVD player, the PS2, Xbox, etc..... So, the digital connection is there.....

The other digital connections are added connectivity options...... Useful for quite a lot of people....... like for connecting an MP3 player, etc....

Chaos said:
Deejay that one is 35K+ in India. Not worth the money.
OMG!!!. why this much disparity in prices.:huh:
@ newegg,
The logitech retails for around usd$ 300. incl. Shipping
The Klipsch ultra for around usd$ 350 incl. Shipping.
so a difference of usd $50. = Rs. 2250.
now i know we are living in India and prices should be quoted from here etc.... but if you take this difference of 2250 and (add the difference of customs duty etc...) the actual difference should not be more than 4K.
so if logitech Z5500 is for 21K here then Klipsch should be around 25K.
But i guess logic does not work here in our local market. only oppurtunistic Greed ........

deejay said:
OMG!!!. why this much disparity in prices.:huh:
@ newegg,
The logitech retails for around usd$ 300. incl. Shipping
The Klipsch ultra for around usd$ 350 incl. Shipping.
so a difference of usd $50. = Rs. 2250.
now i know we are living in India and prices should be quoted from here etc.... but if you take this difference of 2250 and (add the difference of customs duty etc...) the actual difference should not be more than 4K.
so if logitech Z5500 is for 21K here then Klipsch should be around 25K.
But i guess logic does not work here in our local market. only oppurtunistic Greed ........
Yeah the klipsch dealers in india are greedy buggers :p.

Chaos posted 43.9 minutes later:

stormblast said:
if u think the digital optical & normal wires makes no diff then there is something wrong with ur ears nikhil. it makes a big diff. on the dvd player i.e i havent tried it on my audigy2.
Audigy 2 only has coax right? I think u need that crappy drive in the front bay(a2 zs platinum) to get optical. The buggers charge 70$ premium for a thing that should cost no more than 10$.

But you can get an RCA to digital cable....... There is a digital out on the Audigy. But it is not coax or optical. But you can use another cable to connect it.....

Nikhil said:
But you can get an RCA to digital cable....... There is a digital out on the Audigy. But it is not coax or optical. But you can use another cable to connect it.....
Yeah u need a 1/8" to RCA plug that converts it to Coax. You need a separate port for optical. Actually if anyone wants creative and optical at the same time, the best bet is to get the MSI SLI board :p.

Nope... even my A8V deluxe has an optical and coax port....

Nikhil posted 0.75 minutes later:

But why be stuck with Optical ??? You can coax itself with an Audigy 2 ZS...

Nikhil said:
Nope... even my A8V deluxe has an optical and coax port....

Nikhil posted 0.75 minutes later:

But why be stuck with Optical ??? You can coax itself with an Audigy 2 ZS...
I'm talking about a creative card and optical.

yeah but if you use the main speaker connectors on the Creative card and the optical port on your mobo, then it won't work will it??

Nikhil said:
yeah but if you use the main speaker connectors on the Creative card and the optical port on your mobo, then it won't work will it??
mobo optical port is for ac97 audio. if u have an audigy, its of no use.

Back