Looking to buy a TV but specs are unclear in India

rajlodhiya

Recruit
Hello.

I'm looking to buy an all purpose TV, for gaming, movies, computing but there seems to be no way to know the native refresh rates in most cases. Its so ridiculous that when I talked to two different customer service assistants from Samsung, both of them needed explaining as to what a refresh rate was and how it was different to their awful "motion plus" (frame interpolation) setting. And both of them in the end suggested different models saying that each of their suggestions was the only model they had with a 100hz panel.

Same TV models have different specifications on Amazon and Flipkart, and there is no trusting what specs these companies have changed when you compare a model to its US or UK version since we all live in a third world country. I know that LG OLEDs have HDMI 2.1 but they don't mention 4k at 120hz anywhere on any product specifications which seems shady. I mean isn't it stupid to not at least mention, if not highlight, a great feature that your TV has and that others don't? I've seen the "4k at 120hz" label on the back of the TV on all LG OLED reviews from US and UK but none from reviews on Indian blogs. Moreover, I'm not leaning towards OLED because I'll also be occasionally using it as a computer monitor and I don't want to risk the taskbars burning into the display.

Please share your thoughts.

Thank you.

The clearest statements of specs you'll find are often in data sheets and user manuals. Try looking for those for the models you're considering.

The clearest statements of specs you'll find are often in data sheets and user manuals. Try looking for those for the models you're considering.
I did. Manuals are relatively more helpful but it’s still way more difficult than it should be to know about something you want to buy. Just the fact that Samsung didn’t know what I’m talking about feels criminal.

The customer support reps are not tech savvy folks and aren't trained on specs probably, since they're after-sales support and not sales. If the spec you're interested in isn't clearly laid out in the manual/data sheet, you might have more luck emailing support and waiting for an answer, so that they possibly have time to escalate it and get that answer. That wouldn't be feasible on a call.

The customer support reps are not tech savvy folks and aren't trained on specs probably, since they're after-sales support and not sales. If the spec you're interested in isn't clearly laid out in the manual/data sheet, you might have more luck emailing support and waiting for an answer, so that they possibly have time to escalate it and get that answer. That wouldn't be feasible on a call.
I tried live chatting, emailing and calling. The email is yet to receive a reply. I’m now sure that it’s hopeless for the third world.

Back