MTNL UL Plans Night speed @2Mbps from 05/11/2012 to 05/01/2013

I am on an old plan ULTD 888 something get 512 kbps from 8 to 8 and 2 mbps in the night. Speeds are as advertised and dont need any modem restarts, but should I switch to the 999 plan as atleast I will get 1 mbps during the day. However I am wary of these modem restarts, is there a proper way to set up these restarts etc?

Hi @Aces170, I'd definitely recommend switching to 999 unlimited plan. I have been on that plans for close to 2 1/2 years now and found it to be the most value for money. I can't stand anything below 1Mbps speeds, so this suffices my needs easily and the speed boost ensures all the heavy content is downloaded in a day or two. On Sunday you'll have 2Mbps throughout the day.

The modem switch which just kicked in, seems to be quite annoying. At least for me it is. You need to switch it OFF and ON at 2 intervals; one at 6:00PM to avail 1.34Mbps speed and next at 12:00AM to get 2Mbps .

i don't remember what plan i was last on (ie, about more than 2 years back). that plan had been updated to MTNL DSL UNLTD 1333 by some introductory offer of MTNL prior Diwali (hence, i think, i had the UNLTD 999 plan prior that, which was upgraded to the 1333 plan). since then, although officially you don't see this plan listed on MTNL's website anymore, my plan continues to be the same, and am also charged the same amount (ie, 1333/-). IIRC, the 1333 plan was - upto 1.344 Mbps speed from 8 AM to 10 PM, and 2 Mbps from 10 PM to 8 AM. later the time was extended for the 2 Mbps speed, and it was now 1 Mbps from 8 AM to 6 PM, and 2 Mbps from 6 PM onwards till 8 AM. does anyone correctly recall the perks of the 1333 plan when it was started, and how is it different from the existing UNLTD 999 plan as of now? the most closely resembling plan to the 1333 plan is, the 1599 plan now.

Got the Telnet script worked out and scheduled it to reboot the router at the desired time intervals. The script works like a charm and the good thing about Torrent clients is that they auto stop and resume when there is a break in connection. So guess I'm all set now.

Got the Telnet script worked out and scheduled it to reboot the router at the desired time intervals. The script works like a charm and the good thing about Torrent clients is that they auto stop and resume when there is a break in connection. So guess I'm all set now.
Can u please tell me how to schedule auto restarts?

I am in the MTNL 450 Rs plan which gives me 512 Kbps from 8 AM to 6:00 PM, 1 Mbps from 06:00 Pm to 12:00 AM and more than 1 Mbps at night (i don't get 2 Mbps don't know why).
I never saw this before and never looked into much about the speed switching but as per this new rule, will i have to reset the modem to get upgraded speed ?
Also what happens if i am say using net at 7 AM at > 1Mbps speed and do not do reset at 8 AM, does the router automatically reboot or MTNL people from their end just reduce the speed ?
I am specifically asking this because i plan to keep some downloads On in IDM tonight at 9 PM types and i cannot afford to let the modem reboot (at 12 AM) else there is a high chance the downloads will stop.
I am ok with 1 Mbps throughout the night.

I am in the MTNL 450 Rs plan which gives me 512 Kbps from 8 AM to 6:00 PM, 1 Mbps from 06:00 Pm to 12:00 AM and more than 1 Mbps at night (i don't get 2 Mbps don't know why).
I never saw this before and never looked into much about the speed switching but as per this new rule, will i have to reset the modem to get upgraded speed ?
Also what happens if i am say using net at 7 AM at > 1Mbps speed and do not do reset at 8 AM, does the router automatically reboot or MTNL people from their end just reduce the speed ?
I am specifically asking this because i plan to keep some downloads On in IDM tonight at 9 PM types and i cannot afford to let the modem reboot (at 12 AM) else there is a high chance the downloads will stop.
I am ok with 1 Mbps throughout the night.

If you're happy with 1Mbps then it should ideally continue with the same speed till the remainder of your night hours (till the speed boost lasts). At 8:00AM, the speed will auto-switch to 512Kbps. If you're using IDM downloads, then it's highly recommended that you pause your download, reboot the router, as per my IDM experience, HTTP download would break if the connection is lost.

You can force resume the download but high probability that download would be corrupted even with IDM , if you want proper solution for disconnection with http using JDownloader it will never fail.

I think i will keep only torrent for download at night rather than direct downloads. For that i can use only 6 PM to 11 PM time.[DOUBLEPOST=1376073516][/DOUBLEPOST]Guys i don't get more than 1.3 Mbps at night after 12. I never get. What might be the issue and where i can complain ?[DOUBLEPOST=1376154215][/DOUBLEPOST]This is about the evening speed bump. In my day i have 512 Kbps and today i kept torrent for downloading at 4 PM on my iPad and went out. The speed had switched from 512 Kbps to 1 Mbps at 6 pm (i presume) since i just came back and checked that the torrents are downloading at 1 Mbps speed. I am not sure if MTNL might have reset from their end or not but all i know is i did not manually reboot the modem at 6 Pm.

Last edited:
@raksrules i'm also on the same plan. they started this reboot requirement recently. the 6 pm speed sometimes changes on its own & sometimes doesnt. the 12 am speed change only happens after reboot. it then switches back to 512 kbps automatically at 7.10 am at which point net goes down for 2 mins
i also dont get 2 mbps at night. get about 1.7mbps. mtnl CC said that you dont get the full 2 mbps. but 1.3 is still low. why dont you try calling on 1504 & booking a complaint

i checked my net-speed a day ago at night, and then today morning, and it showed me 2.17 Mbps! and MTNL's own speedtest had at the same time showed me 0.45 Mbps.

I had this problem for 2 months where they used to give 1.75 Mbps I escalated the matter to CGM after nothing happened from DGM , the only way you are going to get 2 Mbps is to get the Downstream rate set above 2192 Kbps for most its set to 2048 Kbps I was able to get the downrate set to 4092 Kbps hence at times i get 4Mbps at night though it does happens occasionally

Back