Car & Bike My old Lancer getting a much needed overhaul

jiten said:
Hi Amey,

I have gone through this beautiful thread and really your car looks awesome and the mind blowing speed is just WOW
. I recently bought a used Lancer GLXI - 2000 model but unfortunately i landed up in a really bad deal ... its
just 2 months and the engine has started showing its problem. The garagewala says its the problem with the connecting rod and the only way to correct out this problem is to overhaul the engine.
I am really not sure what to do :S .......... I need your expert advice ---
1 - Whether is should go for an overhauling or not ?
2 - What will be the approximate cost of overhauling with original spares replacement ?
3 - Which is the best service station in Pune where i can do this ?

I will really appreciate if you can spare some of your time in giving me your technical advice .

Thanks
Jiten

Hi Jiten,
When the engine makes 'kad kad kad' noise even while idling, it is usually a sign of problem with connecting rods. Its usually very rare for such a thing to happen in case of the Lancer because, even though the engine was sad in terms of performance, its still a mitsubishi engine and is built to last like Honda, Toyota,Suzuki.
Here are a few things you could do before opening the engine,

1) remove the spark plugs and check, if they are black and sticky that means the car is burning oil,a clear indication of increased clearance in cylinder wall and pistons,meaning its time to replace the piston rings. If the plugs are light brown, this means the Air/Fuel ratio is spot on and so are the rings,basically a good sign.If the plugs are whitish, it means the Air/Fuel mixture is lean but nothing to worry.If the plugs are black but dry and not sticky or wet, it means the AF mixture is rich.

2) Check the compression. Do a wet test as well as dry test.Do the dry test first, ideally the pressure should be around 140 psi or above.If it is then its in good shape.Remember, the difference between the pressure in each cylinder should not exceed 10-15 psi. For example, if cylinder no.1 has 142 psi then cylinder no. 2/3/4 should not be 125-127psi. Ideally there should be a difference of 1-4 psi amongst all cylinders,thats a sign of a great engine.

3) Check the throttle body, remove it and get it cleaned. over the period of time it tends to get dirty with dirt and makes the air flow restrictive.

4) Do an oil change, change the oil filter.

5) check the sir filter, if its in good shape, clean it and fit it.

6) replace the fuel filter

7) its also a good idea to flush the radiator once with radiator flush liquid and refill with fresh coolant.

There are a lot of things you could do to get her back in good shape.

You should visit J.Williams on east street and talk to Mr. Sachin Raut there.Give him my reference,Mr.Amey Gokhale ( The cedia engine in Lancer guy) :p

If you do need to do a complete engine overhaul, you could get it done from J.Williams or else my fellow, Tune Up Plus in Baner.
If you do a rebuild properly, you are looking at around 20-30k expense (not sure) which will include, head shaving for warpage check, head cleaning, new head gasket, valve seals,clock honing and sleeving if required,connecting rod bearings,main bearings and so on.
I would do all this because I know that by doing all this, the engine is good to run another 2L kms easily with regular oil changes.

Hope I have covered all points. If you need anything else, let me know.

Amey said:
Give him my reference,Mr.Amey Gokhale ( The cedia engine in Lancer guy) :p

Say, what did you do with your Lancer engine?

A certain Chaos chap wants to be the first Lancer engine in a Cedia guy :lol:

Hey Amey,

Thanks for all those good notes .

When the engine makes 'kad kad kad' noise even while idling, it is usually a sign of problem with connecting rods

Yes it does .. :( verified by local garage and J Williams also.

1) remove the spark plugs and check, if they are black and sticky that means the car is burning oil,a clear indication of increased clearance in cylinder wall and pistons,meaning its time to replace the piston rings. If the plugs are light brown, this means the Air/Fuel ratio is spot on and so are the rings,basically a good sign.If the plugs are whitish, it means the Air/Fuel mixture is lean but nothing to worry.If the plugs are black but dry and not sticky or wet, it means the AF mixture is rich.

The car is burning oil ... it drinks up almost 1 ltr for every 200 -300km .... :mad:

2) Check the compression. Do a wet test as well as dry test.Do the dry test first, ideally the pressure should be around 140 psi or above.If it is then its in good shape.Remember, the difference between the pressure in each cylinder should not exceed 10-15 psi. For example, if cylinder no.1 has 142 psi then cylinder no. 2/3/4 should not be 125-127psi. Ideally there should be a difference of 1-4 psi amongst all cylinders,thats a sign of a great engine.

Really need to check out this ..

3) Check the throttle body, remove it and get it cleaned. over the period of time it tends to get dirty with dirt and makes the air flow restrictive.

4) Do an oil change, change the oil filter.

5) check the sir filter, if its in good shape, clean it and fit it.

6) replace the fuel filter

7) its also a good idea to flush the radiator once with radiator flush liquid and refill with fresh coolant.

Some of the points i have already covered and yet to do some of them.

Regarding complete engine overhauling .. i contacted J Williams where i was quoted 1-1.25 lacs :rolleyes:from someone Mr.Hanif . I will definitely contact Mr Sachin Raut with your reference.
A local service station where i did normal servicing quoted me a max of 35 k for complete engine overhauling.
I wonder if this includes original parts replacement or local replicas. I am ready to spend 50k more on this vehicle ..

It will be great if you can share your contact number so that i can get in touch with you in person ...

I am really confused what to do .. .. any advice from anyone is always welcome ...........

Thanks
Jiten

View attachment 11767

Donno how accurate this is but took this while coming back from Mumbai today :) Says max speed reached was 214 kmph lol :p

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 206
ragzdiablo said:
214??
FACK!!
thats amazing dude...

any place in pune where you can get a BHP,torque rating through a dyno/rolling road?
No, have to go to Mumbai to do all that. Will be making a trip soon for that.

bottle said:

While I was testing, it showed this and before that checked what the speedo was showing and what gps was showing, was pretty close and later on left it on,checked after I reached home it read 650 kmph lol :p

Btw, will be buying Gtech Pro soon so that should help and atleast it will be accurate.

Its usually very accurate :lol: I have a feeling going fast through a corner confuses it and it puts out a useless top speed

When I m going in a straight line the speed on the gps is pretty close to the speedometer

gtech pro has speedometer ? I m looking for an accurate speedo, and was considering vbox

bottle said:
Its usually very accurate :lol: I have a feeling going fast through a corner confuses it and it puts out a useless top speed

When I m going in a straight line the speed on the gps is pretty close to the speedometer

gtech pro has speedometer ? I m looking for an accurate speedo, and was considering vbox
Taking corners at 200 kmph+ ???:rofl:

^yea maybe
71.gif
, that screenie i posted was after some spirited driving with neovas. have you changed your tyres yet ?

Missed the latest posts since this thread was first started, but gawd damn this is super "mech and tech" stuff! :D

Nice videos - sweet engine note - and did you post that the engine is cranking out 320-330 BHP ?!

bottle said:
^yea maybe
71.gif
, that screenie i posted was after some spirited driving with neovas. have you changed your tyres yet ?
Not yet baatli. In a dilemma, whether to go 15" or 17"
Planning to do brakes,suspension,tyres,alloys in one phase. Gonna order brake kit soon.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

vishalrao said:
Missed the latest posts since this thread was first started, but gawd damn this is super "mech and tech" stuff! :D

Nice videos - sweet engine note - and did you post that the engine is cranking out 320-330 BHP ?!

No, the engine is NA as of now so lets assume its putting out its rated 120bhp right now alongwith 175nm torque. Once I go turbo, at around 7-10 psi boost, I should be somewhere around 180-200 bhp and at around 20 psi boost, around 300-320 bhp. This is theoritical ofcourse, actual achievements and gains depend a lot on fuel quality, ECU tuning etc.

^ oh that makes sense. but seriously on low profile tyres, I have experienced it myself , car would get really unsettled when you hit a bump (which is all too common on our roads) in the middle of a corner there would be some surface break up and you would find yourself going straight :lol:

Back