PC Peripherals Need an ergonomic chair

Damn, chair is not working for myself too

Any tips and pics please :)

@dpandey, please share more about your desk!

Sorry guys. I had been very busy. Will post pics soon.[DOUBLEPOST=1432187972][/DOUBLEPOST]Here is an pic of my standing desk. Made using steel angles. I am planning to redo it with bigger planks so that I can keep two computers and a laser printer. This was just a proof of concept and I liked it.

P1010176.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,
I am Satyam, by profession a S/W developer. I usually sit on computer for 8 -10 hours. Age 35 years, Height 6 feet and weight 90 kg.
Recently, I have started working form home, couple of days in week (my organization allows that) and since then I am experiencing some pain in my lower back and neck. As when I work from home, I usually work on laptops with plastic chair, foldable table or by putting small stand on bed to lift the laptop.
When I work from office, it doesn't hurts that much but working from home by sitting on plastic chair and table is costing me back and neck pain.
As a solution for this, I did some research on net for approx. 15 days and found that the workplace should be ergonomic. Now, I am planning to buy an ergonomic chair. I was lured by the reviews of Herman Miller chairs, but alas they were costing approx. 75K and 100K and were certainly out of my budget.
Initially, my budget was of approx. 10K and after googling I landed up in Featherlite furniture store in Pune where I found a variety of ergonomic chairs models like Anatom, Amaze, Astro, Click / visitor . http://www.featherlitefurniture.com/products/office-chairs
With headrest , they were coming in price of Rs 12,000 or less, which appealed to me as it was in my range.
Meanwhile, while doing googling, I came across this bible post of yours, thanks a lot for writing this review, and then narrowed my focus to two chairs, namely Godrej Ace and featherlite optima.
I visited Godrej showroom in Pune and Godrej ace was costing 22k with headrest .I tried this , it seemed to be ok but what I felt was it was bit overpriced. As you have written , its armrest was not up to mark. Also, Godrej showroom was having limited number of chairs when compared to Featherlite store in Pune.
Today, I am going to try featherlite Optima and planning to buy that, I havenot tried that yet, will try it today.
It will cost around 28 - 29 K, I will try to bargain.
As a good sum of money is involved, what would be your suggestions for me? Should I purchase it?
Other knowledgable members can also reply to this questions, who have used featherlite Optima chair.

A bit off tangent but we have moved to motorised standing desks at work and it has been amazing. I am a convert. (But not at home though, still need a good chair to slouch in front of the computer :p).

Ah, so its alternating every 1 hour. Only with a motorised desk. How would people manage without a motorised desk then.

hehe, this is so strange, but i'm hearing people talk about standing desks.

initially i thought this is like a bar steward, always on their feet which brings its own problems.

I was thinking of getting a chair when this thread started long ago. Never got around to it because of the bolded bit below :D

I had got a few made as per my needs but were not very comfy and had to return them. :(
I am more comfortable sitting on a dining chair with two hard pillows below my bum (for the added seat height i need). :p

But i don't think one can go wrong with Godrej or Featherlite ones- expensive but really nice and vast range. :)

now i'm thinking i should check out feather lites, many seem to have chosen that brand.

Last edited:
After a LOT of research and buying 3 chairs from them, in my opinion Featherlite is the best VFM chair company in India.

A bit off tangent but we have moved to motorised standing desks at work and it has been amazing. I am a convert. (But not at home though, still need a good chair to slouch in front of the computer :p).
Bro what Motorised desk are you using at office?

Price and link and what has been the experience till now?

Have purchased Nilkamal Trenvy chair, which I found pretty comfortable. It have good lumber back support.
But get heated in summer, using it with a towel to make it cool.
I think it's best to get one with a bottom cushion and a netted back, which provides sufficient airflow. Also make sure that the cushion is thin so that it doesn't absorb much heat, but is still comfortable.

I'm still using Featherlite's - Astro which is going good for me from past 3 years. Has nice Lumbar support. It has got good amount of cushion and bottom wont get heated up when sitting for 3-4 hrs (in between its good to get up for 5 mins every hour thou), back is mesh material giving lot of airflow and the Lumbar is adjustable.
Initial days i used to use Plastic Neilkamal chair which were used to cause lot of back problems when sitting for long duration.
Felt Optima good when checked it at stores but it was bit overpriced and way out of my budget.

Hi All,
I am Satyam, by profession a S/W developer. I usually sit on computer for 8 -10 hours. Age 35 years, Height 6 feet and weight 90 kg.
Recently, I have started working form home, couple of days in week (my organization allows that) and since then I am experiencing some pain in my lower back and neck. As when I work from home, I usually work on laptops with plastic chair, foldable table or by putting small stand on bed to lift the laptop.
When I work from office, it doesn't hurts that much but working from home by sitting on plastic chair and table is costing me back and neck pain.
As a solution for this, I did some research on net for approx. 15 days and found that the workplace should be ergonomic. Now, I am planning to buy an ergonomic chair. I was lured by the reviews of Herman Miller chairs, but alas they were costing approx. 75K and 100K and were certainly out of my budget.
Initially, my budget was of approx. 10K and after googling I landed up in Featherlite furniture store in Pune where I found a variety of ergonomic chairs models like Anatom, Amaze, Astro, Click / visitor . http://www.featherlitefurniture.com/products/office-chairs
With headrest , they were coming in price of Rs 12,000 or less, which appealed to me as it was in my range.
Meanwhile, while doing googling, I came across this bible post of yours, thanks a lot for writing this review, and then narrowed my focus to two chairs, namely Godrej Ace and featherlite optima.
I visited Godrej showroom in Pune and Godrej ace was costing 22k with headrest .I tried this , it seemed to be ok but what I felt was it was bit overpriced. As you have written , its armrest was not up to mark. Also, Godrej showroom was having limited number of chairs when compared to Featherlite store in Pune.
Today, I am going to try featherlite Optima and planning to buy that, I havenot tried that yet, will try it today.
It will cost around 28 - 29 K, I will try to bargain.
As a good sum of money is involved, what would be your suggestions for me? Should I purchase it?
Other knowledgable members can also reply to this questions, who have used featherlite Optima chair.

So did you like the Optima Chair? I am in the same boat and have to decide between Godrej Ace and Featherlite Optima. How was your experience like?

Folks who use these chairs - I guess they have rollers for feet, meaning they move around easily? Is it a bother on smooth surface like on marble/tile floors without carpeting or do the rollers have locking mechanisms to prevent that?

I'm also thinking of getting a "office chair" like a featherlite for home use but worried about the annoyance if it keeps moving about.

Also, do these have armrest adjustment "side ways" meaning can I "widen" the position (not up/down/front/back) - because I'm 6 foot 1 in height and most chairs the armrests are too close to my body making it uncomfortable.

^^

none of these chairs are THAT smooth, in that they keep rolling around. Weight and inertia keeps them in pretty much the same place, unless you decide to play office chair bumper cars.

I don't remember which, but i've seen a chair long ago where the armrests had a lock to move them outwards as well as the usual height adjustment.

My featherlite chair (Liberate) doesn't have sidearms that are horizontally adjustable, but the arm rests themselves can be turned to angle outwards and are fairly wide to begin with. Check out featherlite.

Finally got a new chair. This one for 6.4k (8k with 20% off) - https://www.urbanladder.com/products/venturi-study-chair . Ordered less than a week ago, reached and assembled yesterday.

It's cheap but decent enough. The specs page shows a 5.7 tall person for it, but still comfy enough for a 6.1 tall and 100+ kilos guy like me. The seat cushion is firm, if I sit for a few hours it becomes a literal PITA which I think is a good thing - reminds me to get up off the computer and stretch/walk around a bit :)

OT: I had earlier created a new account on UL for the first time a couple of weeks ago to order a single seater recliner sofa, again a cheap-ish one for 14k here https://www.urbanladder.com/products/tribbiani-recliner . This one too is comfy enough. Using it to vegetate in front of the TV.

Can't say about long term reliability/quality of the two seats but UL delivery/installation was hassle-free with courteous staff.

Finally got a new chair. This one for 6.4k (8k with 20% off) - https://www.urbanladder.com/products/venturi-study-chair . Ordered less than a week ago, reached and assembled yesterday.

It's cheap but decent enough. The specs page shows a 5.7 tall person for it, but still comfy enough for a 6.1 tall and 100+ kilos guy like me. The seat cushion is firm, if I sit for a few hours it becomes a literal PITA which I think is a good thing - reminds me to get up off the computer and stretch/walk around a bit :)

OT: I had earlier created a new account on UL for the first time a couple of weeks ago to order a single seater recliner sofa, again a cheap-ish one for 14k here https://www.urbanladder.com/products/tribbiani-recliner . This one too is comfy enough. Using it to vegetate in front of the TV.

Can't say about long term reliability/quality of the two seats but UL delivery/installation was hassle-free with courteous staff.

I use the exact same chair, it isnt as cushiony as I would have liked, but seems like a decent chair, in hindsight, I should have gone for the Mika variant. How did you get the 20% discount sir?

The discount was available (to me at least) without having to do anything - 20% off for both my orders. Note that I was a new user signup on their site just a few weeks ago - maybe they offered 20% off for that reason. If I look at the same items (and some others too) now there is no discount or offers visible to me at this time.

Hey @vishalrao how's your chair doing?

Need to buy one asap, i was leaning back in my generic crap chair and one of the legs leading to a castor just snapped in the middle, sending me and my tab flying. Neither were broken, but i'm done with crap chairs. doesnt mean ima spend 20-30k on a chair either...

Any idea about the Hugo chair? As in difference with the Venturi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back